• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help - right at the beginning

Lisav

I have made the life changing decision that I want WLS and have been leaning towards a gastric band. I'm new here and not sure if I'm asking in the right section, but I dont know where else to ask.

I am preparing to go to my doctors, but I dont even know how to begin the conversation and I dont know what type of thing I should say. I have been on diets since i was 17, every type, weight watchers, slimming world, rosemary conley, lighterlife and cambridge diet, I lose weight initially but as I have an underactive thyroid, I have an uphill battle on my hands. I am at an all time low with my weight and the biggest I have ever been. My hips are painful and i'm scared i will develop diabetes like my mum did. We all suffer from high blood pressure too. Where do I start is what I suppose I'm asking? Can anyone help?

I know it's a big (massive) decision to make, but I really believe it is the only thing I can do now. I am researching all the time at the moment, so I am grateful for any help or advice anyone can offer.

So sorry if I posted in the wrong place.
Lisa

Hi Lisa xxx
I wish I could help you on the NHS route but I didn't have success down that road. I definately wish I 'd have gone back to my doc or tried a different one to get referred for WLS.

If you just explain about your struggles and fears like you have here hopefully your GP will then take it to the next step for you.
I think a lot of people have to go through a weight management program and as I said, someone who's been down the NHS route in your area will be able to fill you in more.

As for what surgery you go for, well I would wait till you get to speak to a surgeon who will go through each option they are offering and quizz you on your eating habits as well as take your general health issues and amount of weight to lose into account before suggesting the right one.

I would ask about a sleeve as that is almost a midway point between a band and bypass in a way. With your thyroid problems etc and possible diabetes later on...A sleeve will give you the more quicker initial weight loss like a bypass but not malabsorbtion. ( a sleever can give you better info obviously)
If you do go for a band as the way forward for you then we have plenty of banders at various stages who can advise you on what it's really like to live with one day to day.

Lots of luck and don't be nervous xxxx

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Whichever type of surgery you go for is really a decision best made between you and your surgeon.

I was originally thinking of a band, or a sleeve, but when I saw the surgeon, turns out they did not do bands under nhs so that option was out for me. I am having a bypass.

Each type of surgery has its own pros and cons, and the best thing I can say to you is to research each of them, find out which surgery has which complications and probably more importantly which type will suit your own eating patterns.

There is heaps and heaps of info on the site, just have a browse around and a good read. There are lots of posts only available after you have made 50 posts yourself, so have a go at the word games to get your posts up.

We have successful banders, bypassers, sleevers and now some who have had pose surgery, so you will find information on all of them. The new banders section has lots of info from other banders and I am sure you will get lots of replies from the helpful people on the forum.

Best of luck when you see your gp, just tell them how it is and I am sure they will help.

I went to my GP first. Her jaw dropped on the floor when i said I wanted a gastric band, and it turned out I knew far more on the subject than she did. She said "you will never be able to enjoy food again". What a load of poo! I just had a lovely lunch!
Anyway, in my area there was no funding for wls so I went down the private route.
Iam 5 weeks post op and don't regret it for a moment, but..it is not an easy option, willpower is still required!
Good luck and this is the best place for advice on any type of wls. xxx

Hi Lisa, I was banded three weeks ago and wouldn't change a thing. Unfortunately I couldn't get funding so had to go down the private route.

Whichever option you choose, there will be plenty of sound advise from this forum. Good Luck with your journey! Jo xx

Back