• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

new and at the very beginning!

I was on orlistat for 6 months, lost 3 stone, although yes it does have the side effect of orange liquid fat as part of your daily poo routine, but if you limit the amount of fat you eat you shouldnt have this problem at all. I cannot comment about the constipation for Llora had as i didnt have that at all. I was on 3 tablets a day, and yes although i lost the weight, i did put it all back on again.

Good luck though Yvonne, if you decide to use it, just know that it only works as every other darn diet - with calorie counting. Hope it works for you! :)

PS, I didnt know about the thyroid medication - so check with the dr first. :)

I did get them from the gp and we discussed my thyroid at the appointment as she is having my levels checked in case they are too low and that is making weight loss harder...

Like a lot of the people on this site I've been on a diet or about to start a diet since i was about 16! I do know what I should eat and that although I eat fairly healthy meals i eat too much at a time and then graze on unhealthy snacks in the evening. I do manage to lose some weight but the minute it stalls or an event comes along I'm back to square one! That plus I dont move nearly enough = the state I'm in now!

Hopefully if the doctor refers me and I know this is going to happen I'll get my game head on and really start cracking on!

Thanks again for all your help and support x

Hi Yvonne,
I am pretty sure you know what you are doing food wise, we all do - I didn't mean for it to sound like you didn't know. Apologies if it came out like that! x

Hi Yvonne,
I am pretty sure you know what you are doing food wise, we all do - I didn't mean for it to sound like you didn't know. Apologies if it came out like that! x

No dont worry I wasn't offended - i guess i was trying to justify myself - bad habit of mine! Sorry!

Really? I must be honest I haven't looked at them since I got them as I'm not in the right frame of mind to start them yet (and I go on holiday tomorrow) I intended reading up about them before starting... do you know why?

thanks

Orlistat prevents absorption of levothyroxine. Considering how long it takes docs to get the dosage levels of thyroid medication right for each individual, it's too much messing about to basically start again. If your levels are sorted I wouldn't take orlistat. Although the calcium taken after bypass surgery affects thyroxine in the same way lol. Over three months post op and still trying to get my thyroid levels right again.

Orlistat prevents absorption of levothyroxine. Considering how long it takes docs to get the dosage levels of thyroid medication right for each individual, it's too much messing about to basically start again. If your levels are sorted I wouldn't take orlistat. Although the calcium taken after bypass surgery affects thyroxine in the same way lol. Over three months post op and still trying to get my thyroid levels right again.

thanks for that - I didn't know that. I mentioned that the most recent "diet" had been a disaster and she said maybe they should check my thyroid levels - i haven't had them checked in about 2 years so they may not be right anyway.

It's encouraging to note that despite levels being off you have done so well following your surgery! well done you and thanks very much x

thanks for that - I didn't know that. I mentioned that the most recent "diet" had been a disaster and she said maybe they should check my thyroid levels - i haven't had them checked in about 2 years so they may not be right anyway.

It's encouraging to note that despite levels being off you have done so well following your surgery! well done you and thanks very much x

Thank you. I was very sceptical as to whether the op would work so quickly for me. I did expect the weight loss to be very slow due to my dodgy thyroid, but I really couldn't be more happy with my results so far. Good luck with everything hun. X

Hi Yvonne,
I'm a newbie to the forum too (this is my 1st post).
I'm also only just starting down this route and I also live in the Preston area.
I've been on Orlastat since January this year and so far I have lost 2st.
Fortunately I haven't experienced a lot of the horror stories you hear about when people talk about Orlistat. Maybe I've been lucky?
I also have an underactive thyroid and take thyroxine.

You only take orlistat if you eat a meal with fat in it. I make sure that I take my thyroxine as soon as I wake up, wait half an hour before I have a low / no fat breakfast. That way I don't need to take an orlistat and it doesn't affect the thyroxine.

Hope this helps a little and good luck x

Thanks for that Jo, I haven't taken them yet.... I wanted to see what was happening first and with regards the referral as I don't like the idea of the side effects as I already have a fairly dodgy digestive system!

I have spoken to the diatetics dept at RLI who say you need to see the dietician before progressing with bariatric surgery, they assess you and may see you approx 3 times over 6 months before referring you. I asked if that still applied if your bmi was over 50 (as mine is) she said the dietician will still need to see you in the first instance. So I've made my appt for the 1st week in Sept and i will let you know how I get on! xx

Thanks for that Jo, I haven't taken them yet.... I wanted to see what was happening first and with regards the referral as I don't like the idea of the side effects as I already have a fairly dodgy digestive system!

I have spoken to the diatetics dept at RLI who say you need to see the dietician before progressing with bariatric surgery, they assess you and may see you approx 3 times over 6 months before referring you. I asked if that still applied if your bmi was over 50 (as mine is) she said the dietician will still need to see you in the first instance. So I've made my appt for the 1st week in Sept and i will let you know how I get on! xx

Thanks for letting me know Yvonne x

So it looks like it's the first hoop of many on our journey.
My referal was only made yesterday so I need to wait for a txt.

Back