• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

HEP HELP HELP low blood sugar

liggielass

sally ann
hi all sorry its been awhile since i posted but i need your help, im having frequent low blood sugar attacks i mean really low,, 1.4 low,, does anyone have the same problem my husband got the paramedics out 2 weeks running as he could'nt wake me up and they had to give me intraveinous glucose , i have a mild attack at least every second day where i was having to take the glucosetabs but i have seen the dietcian and im more aware of what to eat to stop the attacks coming on, they are taking me into hospital for 3 days so they can do 15 hour fasting in controlled conditions and an all day gluscose test also, i do love my bypass BUT this is something i didnt expect to happen and im afraid to have a lie in as the most severe ones are when i go a long time without food but im always tired , i never got my get up and go back after the op, they say its the low blood sugar, so if there are any more sufferes out there please please share any tips and advice with me as i feel this is taking over my life THANKS ALL and sorry to go on as long xxxxxxxxxxxxx

sorry cant help but hope u get it sorted very soon xx

i was diagnosed with type 2 diabetis in august last year and i had my op in november... i was on 2 metformin a day up until 2 weeks before op... then on nothing since... but the last week... my glucose has been going as low as 3.4 which is low for me... im having a fasting blood test friday... so i think they will put me back on the metformin... i will just have to wait and see.
Are you on meds or insulin?

I have developed reactive hypoglycaemia as a post op complication. It is no way near as bad as yours though. I have attacks in spates where I'll have one or two a day for 2-3 days, then nothing for a fortnight or even longer now. I carry dextrose tablets and glucogel (which I get on prescription). I can spot the early signs much better these days, having had it for nearly 3 years, so severe attacks are rare.

Interestingly, I wasn't diabetic pre-op.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

thanks shellbel as always you always have help and advice, i like you was never diabetic before op ,, i just want this sorted ,, what do you do to combat this problem xxxxxxx

It sounds like you may need to eat more regular meals at the moment or maybe ensure that you're getting enough low GI foods. My partner is an insulin dependant diabetic and I have a glucagon injection I can inject him with if he goes low enough that he won't wake up.

There's nothing I do to prevent an attack, aside from eating frequently, as eating healthily isn't an option for me! But going low GI seems to be the best way to prevent them. When I have an attack I eat enough dextrose/glucose to reverse it, then some complex carbs to try and maintain a normal blood sugar, as I've learnt that prevents another attack coming straight after,

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

so i think they will put me back on the metformin...

Only if at other times your BG is also going too high. Metformin treats high blood glucose by reducing insulin resistance and suppressing the release of glucose from the liver. That's not going to help if your BG is going too low.

Barbara

I developed nesidiablastosis as a complication after my bypass. I have had to do the 72 hour fast in the hospital and cannot keep my blood sugar up. You will need to report this condition as you will most likely lose your licence if you are driving as you (and I) are putting others at risk if behind the wheel.

I am awaiting surgery to remove about 90% of my pancreas to correct this issue.

ETA: I was not diabetic prior to surgery either. And make sure you see an endocrinologist versus a GP as this is a serious complication. I do follow a low GI diet and have to carry glucagen jab with me at all times.

Only if at other times your BG is also going too high. Metformin treats high blood glucose by reducing insulin resistance and suppressing the release of glucose from the liver. That's not going to help if your BG is going too low.

Barbara

i didnt realise that... i had my blood test yesterday so will get the results on tuesday.. i will see then. my sugar is higher when i have regular snacks x

liggielass said:
hi all sorry its been awhile since i posted but i need your help, im having frequent low blood sugar attacks i mean really low,, 1.4 low,, does anyone have the same problem my husband got the paramedics out 2 weeks running as he could'nt wake me up and they had to give me intraveinous glucose , i have a mild attack at least every second day where i was having to take the glucosetabs but i have seen the dietcian and im more aware of what to eat to stop the attacks coming on, they are taking me into hospital for 3 days so they can do 15 hour fasting in controlled conditions and an all day gluscose test also, i do love my bypass BUT this is something i didnt expect to happen and im afraid to have a lie in as the most severe ones are when i go a long time without food but im always tired , i never got my get up and go back after the op, they say its the low blood sugar, so if there are any more sufferes out there please please share any tips and advice with me as i feel this is taking over my life THANKS ALL and sorry to go on as long xxxxxxxxxxxxx

How far out are you?

I have to eat every 2-3 hours, I even have a snack next to me at night as I get starving. If I leave it too long, I get the shakes and very irate. I'm 3 years out now and im in a routine where I know I can't go more than 3 hours tops!

xx.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I developed nesidiablastosis as a complication after my bypass. I have had to do the 72 hour fast in the hospital and cannot keep my blood sugar up. You will need to report this condition as you will most likely lose your licence if you are driving as you (and I) are putting others at risk if behind the wheel.

I am awaiting surgery to remove about 90% of my pancreas to correct this issue.

ETA: I was not diabetic prior to surgery either. And make sure you see an endocrinologist versus a GP as this is a serious complication. I do follow a low GI diet and have to carry glucagen jab with me at all times.
thanks for that ,,i am seeing the endrocronologist and having a stay in hospital for 3 days to do the fasting and other test xxxxxxx

i was told mine went too low after exercising i had shakes and felt absolutely awful 1.2 after checking it , i was told to carry 3 glucose tabs with me as 1 isn't enough and as you say eat regularly it really is a horrible experience but not had it since op :)

Back