• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Heparin post THG banding - do you have to?

Tracey1404

Enjoyin' my journey....
Hi folks I'm being banded at THG dolan park on 3 August - will i have to self administer heparin post op. thanks.

Hi Tracy - I don't have a clue about ur question but I am also having my surgery at THG Dolan Park on 3 August so may see you there lol

Hi Tracey, I am not sure what heparin is but I did have to self administer Clexane injections for 7 days afterwards. Don't know if it is the same thing with a different name? But that is the only things I was given bar some really, really nasty tasting liquid paracetamol EWWWWW!!! Still the thought of it makes me queezy!

Hi Tracy - hands full with 2 Tracey's on 3 August then!, heparin is an anticoagulant that helps prevent deep vein thrombosis etc. sometimes they give it at the time of surgery and after. How is your Pre op diet going? I'm in no carb fish / egg protein. Going okay last week but seem to slowed last couple of days. Think I'm just panicking and hoping I've spent my funds well!!! Keep in touch and see you there!

I didn't have to self administer Clexane or Heprin. I had an injection of Clexane before I went down to surgery.. Which has made a MASSIVE bruise on my arm and I have to wear these hideous knee high white stockings for a week now lol xxx

Hey Lockers, Isn't it strange how it is different for everyone? I only had to wear my lovely white socks for 3 days afterwards and was told to self administer my first dose in Dolan park so the nurse could see I was doing it properly.
@Tracey yes the Clexane was to thin the blood and prevent clots, so I am assuming that is the same drug they use for everyone should they be given it upon discharge.
I did, Lockers did not so who knows if they will for you or not. Perhaps it depends on your BMI if you get it or not? Well you will know it 3 days time :)

They certainly will have there hands full! I've been doing the herbalife programme for my pre op diet - 2 meal replacement drinks per day and 1 healthy dinner, it's been going ok - I lost 8lb last week so was happy with that. Couldn't sleep last night - think as it gets closer to the op the more real it feels and loads running round in my head!

I was banded last Friday at Dolan Park and asked about having to administer injection and was told that it was down to the the decision of your consultant - I had Mr Sigurdsson and apparantly he doesn't feel it's necessary!
Good Luck to both Tracys for Friday xxx

Hi Tracey, I had mine done yesterday at Dolan Park by Mr Super. The nusre gave me a heparin injection a few hours after the op, but said Mr Super doesn't send patients home with it. They did give me a bottle of liquid paracetemol for post op pain, but that was all. Good luck for Friday, it's a great hospital with lovely staff xx

Thanks all - comments much appreciated and I will let you know!

I am so nervous/excited its unreal! We're driving down tomorrow :) staying in hotel overnight then in on Friday morning :)

snack said:
If ur with THG then u will , u get 7 days worth, there very very easy too do xxx

I went with thg and didn't have to administer clexane! It does depend on surgeon I think! Mr sig said there was no need! It also depends how mobile you are! Being mobile lessens the risk of clots!

I was very mobile but I didn't get to choose, I had dr el hussani and he always provides them just goes too show how different surgeons use different methods , strange considering we all have the same op xx

snack said:
I was very mobile but I didn't get to choose, I had dr el hussani and he always provides them just goes too show how different surgeons use different methods , strange considering we all have the same op xx

It must all depend on surgeon then! X

Back