• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Post-Op Heparin?

Hollie22

Hi everyone just wondering do all surgeons recommend post-op heparin after the band? Be helpful if anyone had Mr Martin Richardson from THG as that's my surgeon. I had a DVT scare in May (severe oedema that lasted two weeks) and told I am high risk (smoking & weight)

Thanks in advance :)

I have had two previous dvt's & was sent home with 3 weeks supply of tinzaparin,2 x injections per day,feel like a pin cushion & have a belly coloured with most shades of the rainbow

I have replied on your other post but I did have a weeks suppy from the same surgeon and I am High risk due to a PE in 2011 which nearly killed me.

Are you worried about self injecting?

X

Hi Hollie, I only had 1 Clexane injection in my upper arm and that was it, I think it very much depends on individual risk factors. They didn't give me anything to bring home as I didn't need it thankfully.

Hope your op goes ok.
Regards
Steve

Hi Hollie, I had to give myself the injection at home once a day for 1 week post op. But I do have a blood clotting disorder - Factor V Leiden. x

Hi, I think it must completely depend on the surgeon as I have absolutely nothing wrong with me (apart from being overweight) and yet I had to have the injections..one a day around my belly button for a week, I was also told to wear my sexy hospital stockings for 2 weeks and no driving for 1-2 weeks - this is completely different to info others have put on here that I have read. Amazing really the difference in surgeons x

i didn't have to have or give myself any injections post surgery :)

hi hollie.. If you are worried about self injecting have a word with your gp and they will arrange for the nurse to come out and do it for you... but it is a necessary evil especially if you are high risk.. xx

Hello thanks everyone for your feedback :) it's been really helpful! I'm being admitted tomorrow at 7am so leaving tonight for the nearby travelodge with my boyfriend. Nervous and excited :) xxxx

Hello thanks everyone for your feedback :) it's been really helpful! I'm being admitted tomorrow at 7am so leaving tonight for the nearby travelodge with my boyfriend. Nervous and excited :) xxxx

Good luck Hollie! I'm there on Tuesday. I've not been told anything about injections!?!! Xxx

Ohhh good luck Hollie!! will be thinking of you, keep us up to date x

Remember that feeling well, I was so excited too....good luck for tom. Keep positive and do as u r told! Bed exercises and waLk around as much as poss after u wake properly x

I hardly slept the night before, I was so excited!! Say hello to Mr Richardson for me lol

Haha I will! Thanks everyone! Will update tomorrow on new thread how everything's gone :) too excited! Only 5 hours until we leave for bromsgrove! Ahhhh!

Good luck hun x

wishing you well for your journey and surgery :)

I only had one dose after surgery and one the morning after which is good :) going to write a thread soon all about experience when I feel up to it
Xx

Back