• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hernia??? How would you know?

k8y bear

Fair Fat and over Fourty!
Ok, i know i sound like a hyperchondriac, but i feel great, my scar is healing REALLY well, it's pink and looking fab, i have no pain from it at all.
I have no more pain APART from this new feeling.
About 3 days ago i over streched for the sick bowl and felt something weird, not particularly painfull but weird, i was sick a few times and since then i have this bad pain that feels like something is twisted. It's in the one place and doesnt move, it feels like something shouldn't be there. Like i said no pain apart from this which started a few days ago?

i have a big hernia just above my belly button in the scar, mine is very movable, it squelches if you press it, and can be manipulated back thro my abdomen wall, it sinks back if i lay on my back, sitting and standing it looks like a very large grapefruit is trying to bulge out, just keep an eye on it, any pain, get and see your gp, mine is large, a very low risk of strangulation/twisting, it's the small blighters you have to worry about, they can be very dangerous

Thanks hun, i'm only 10 days post op...do you think i'm being silly?? It just feels so weird, and painfull.

i have a big hernia just above my belly button in the scar, mine is very movable, it squelches if you press it, and can be manipulated back thro my abdomen wall, it sinks back if i lay on my back, sitting and standing it looks like a very large grapefruit is trying to bulge out, just keep an eye on it, any pain, get and see your gp, mine is large, a very low risk of strangulation/twisting, it's the small blighters you have to worry about, they can be very dangerous

OMG... that sounds exactly like what I've got !! :eek: I have been wondering for the last week if I'd developed an umbilical hernia :confused:. My lump is small and oval shaped, I can push it in, and it also disappears when I'm lying down. I've no pain. Think I'd better mention it when I see my GP next week...:(:(:(

I'm pre-op but have a small hernia. For me its only noticeable if I lean forward and then I can feel it.

You probably have just stretched the muscles that they have been working through to do your op when you were sick.

Don't forget you might have little holes for a big op (or a biggish hole but still smaller than the area they operated in!!) and they will have done lots of fiddling round!!

If the pain persists I would get medical advice - its the big hernias where lots of bowel has come through which are the worst cos the bowel can twist - hubbys just had one repaired - and it had to be done for that reason - but his was "lower" down :eek:

Hope you feel better soon xxx

Last edited:
if it's noticable, make an appointment with your GP, better to get it checked than not

If it is worrying you, then see your GP. Better safe than sorry and will save you some stressing!

I agree, see the doc :D Id rather see him and it be nothing than keep worrying about it, if you are anything like me it will be something really sinister in my mind! x

Get off to the doc Kate... that sounds painful... good luck and thinking of you love xxx

If it was me first thing i'd stop doing is stressing over it. You've had a rough time following your op and you don't need raised blood pressure from worrying to top it..

Secondly get down the doctors and let him have a look at it. I'm thinking you've strained a muscle, you've just had an open bypass which is a blooming big incision and your muscles are gonna be sensitive...

Please let us know how you get on xx

Back