• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

hi all am new here

angelicheart

AngelicHeart
greeting to u all,:grouphugg:i am so happy to find this site, please do excuse my poor spelling,i have been trying to lose weight for almost 8years now, i just went last week and spoke to my gp regarding gastric band op, i wish if i can afford to pay for it private:( so am hoping the i can have it on the nhs, could u plz help me with ur advice how to start this precedure many thanks.

Hello, I cant help with the NHS advice, but would like to welcome you to the site.

I am sure someone will be along soon the help.:)

Hi there, welcome to WLS :)

As you're in Cambridge you'll be referred to the Luton & Dunstable hospital. Cambs PCT usually gives automatic funding if you have a BMI of 40 or over and co-morbidity such as diabetes or sleep apnoea.

Your GP will initially refer you but from thereon in I'm not sure what the procedure at L&D is as I somehow ended up at the Whittington which isn't usually funded by Cambs.

I know there are several peeps here who can help... off the top of my head dreamofbeingslim is having surgery at L&D very soon.

Hello, I cant help with the NHS advice, but would like to welcome you to the site.

I am sure someone will be along soon the help.:)
thank u lady lite, i am trying to work my way through this site getting lost all the time lol, regarding the nhs it would be great if advice me how can i have the op funded by the nhs, as i have explained i have already been to my gp and awaiting answer, it would be a dream come true if i have this op done by the nhs i can live a normal life enjoyble more with my only daughter of 7years old,i weight about 170kg i don like my self at all or have self confidince i don like looking at my self, i cant even play or run about with my daughter i have tried for many years to lose weight but never maneged.

Welcome to the site jjsmama... Your story is like all of ours. If your gp has referred you then it will just be a waiting game for you now i am guessing...

Can i ask you why a gastric band rather than a gastric bypass? Sometimes a surgeon will suggest which operation is more suited to your lifestyle and eating habits....

Originally (4 yrs ago) when i wanted an op i also wanted a band but the surgeon then suggested a bypass, for personal reasons i didn't go for it then but am now heading for a bypass as originally suggested....

Hello and welcome,Jjsmama,like others have said,i guess you will have to wait to see if you get the funding,i am in a similar situation,my GP has applied for funding and now i am waiting for my reply.Good luck to you,we all understand here what you are going through.xxx

hi julie

mmmmm well whatever on offer i will take it to make my life healthier and livable enjoyble with my daughter.

hi julie

mmmmm well whatever on offer i will take it to make my life healthier and livable enjoyble with my daughter.

It's good that you do this now, i have two daughters aged 10 & 12 and feel i have missed so much with them, because of my weight.

Take this chance to research your options, ask lots of questions on here, nobody will mind (we have all done it) and when you go and see the surgeon you will already have so much knowledge.

When i went there was nothing they could tell me that i didn't know already because of the wonderful people on this site...

Choose wisely and be completely honest about your eating habits and things will be okay...

Finally, i'm so very happy you feel at home here, because this is home for all of us and there is always room for a new friend :) x

Hi JJ's mama, i have only just been referred for a gastric bypass and am awaiting my consultation. I had to go to my gp and ask for help. its a good start to speak to your gp first and see what they suggest.

Hiya and welcome to the site! I would wait and see what the surgeon says later down the line regarding which op will suit you best. Hope all goes well for you and you are able to get the help you need x Hugs x

Hi jj'smama, with regard to getting the funding. I attended the obesity clinic at addenbrookes for a year after my gp suggested it. That was 2008, at the end of 2008 the surgeon suggested bypass surgery and applied for funding for me. As I didn't have sleep apneoa or diabetes at the time he had to apply to the exceptional cases panel. My case was finally heard in August 2009 and was refused, it went to appeal and was again refused. Towards the end of 2009 I developed high blood pressure, limited mobility and mild sleep apneoa. The criteria for Cambridgeshire pct is bmi>40 with diabetes 2 and or severe sleep apneoa. My gp went on to write a letter explaining my new medical problems and how she was concerned for my general health and luckily in January my funding was granted. As Addenbrookes don't do wls we have to have it done at Luton and Dunstable, I received an appt through for 18th May for the first 3 part appt (bariatric nurse, psych and dietician) but luckily I managed to get a cancellation for February. I was put on a vlcld and have now lost the 5% weight they want everyone to loose. I see the surgeon on 14th May for the first time and will be given a date for surgery then. Hope this helps.

hiya to all,
i think am just too anxious, i saw my gp 10 days ago and she is really nice doctor she knows i have been trying to lose this weight for long while, infront of me she recorded this voice message to be send i guess to the who deals with weight loss issues am not sure, the thing is i do not what to do, i feel low at the moment almost crying writing this, i just want to lose this weight to be a live again and enjoy life with my daughter she is almost 8 years old,i feel imbaressed and a shame going to function at her school because everyone staring at me because of my size, i do hear her friends teasing her as well about me and my size and bless she just said to them it doesnt matter she is my mom, it breakes my heart, if i could pay for this operation privatly i would but am on low wage, i just wich my pct allowe the funding for the operation.

i have been checked for diabetes but i dont have it, i dont sleep very well at and sometime my breathing is really tight i have to sit up to catch my breath.

Back