• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi All im back and very nervous as i have my date!!!

HoPe*87*

Hi all,
My names Becky im 24 and live in Durham area, I have my op date which is the 3rd of Febuary!! I will be having the gastric sleeve surgery at Sunderland Royal hospital. I didnt think i would be but iam actually really nervous!! Just wondering if anybody on here that has had surgery could give me a run down of what happens at hospital, what i need or dont need to take, are visitors allowed and if so when? as much or little info as possible would be greatly appreciated.
Becky :eek:

hiya i had my bypass at sunderland visiting is 2-4 and 6-8 but my husband was allowed in b4 2 so he cud see me b4 i went down for my op. They were really nice, i was having last minute doubts a was so nervous but they really reasured me i wud be ok. x

take a bottle of nas squash u get sick of water lol and ur mouth is soo dry after the surgery, hope everything goes well for you xx

I'm afraid I'm pre-op so can't help but congratulations! Can I ask how long you've been on the waiting list? X

HoPe*87* said:
Thanks, I was hoping my other half could be there when I come round from surgery! I'm a big whimp

yes they gud like that they will be able to give u a rough time u expected back on the ward or he can ring to check everything went well my hubby rang n they told him all went well n i was in recovery so thats wen he came bk to the hospital xx

Thank you! I was put on the waiting list in november and I have been offered 4 surgery dates 3 were cancelations so were short notice and due to work commitments I had to turn them down :( I was offered 10th December 29th December and 10th jan those were the cancelation ones I had to turn down but they rang last week and gave me 3rd of Feb :) hope u get ur date soon :)

Wow they were fast dates! Thanks, hopefully not too much longer now.

That's really helpful info Louise x

I would say if u don't have commitments that tie u like mine did. I'd get prepared and ready to go as they rang me last Wednesday 4th wanting me to go in today for the op tomorrow!! x

i went in at 3pm on the monday had op tuesday afternoon and got out thursday morning. everything went well i was up walking down the ward same nite i was brought bk after op shortly b4 6 n went down at about 1 can remember looking at the clock last at 1.45 n waking up in recovery n first thing i sed was 'am alive' n the bloke whoever was with me laughed n sed yes everything went well xx

Lol safc I'm alive!! I'm going in on the Thursday op on Friday so looks like il be out Sunday ish! Work have been on at me for how long il be off but I've heard some people recover quick some don't so il just have to play by ear I think x

haha yeh that man in recovering proper laughed at me but that was my biggest fear. yeh they give u a 2 wk sick note but depending on ur job whether u will need another, i was fine to go bk then i work in a primary school just found it tiring for first few wks bk xx

I would say if u don't have commitments that tie u like mine did. I'd get prepared and ready to go as they rang me last Wednesday 4th wanting me to go in today for the op tomorrow!! x

That didn't give much time for the pre-op appointment/diet. I've been told it'll be 3-6 months but will keep myself ready just in case (I haven't mentioned it to work as my contract ends in march and presumed it wouldn't happen before then) x

I work in a mental health hospital so my job unfortunately can be challenging at times :( were u allowed to use mobiles on the ward? x

I waited just over 4 mths from endo to op but they offered me a wkend date in oct gave all details then sed sorry i didnt see u need a hernia repair u cant have that date u need a midwk date think it was about 3 wks later wen they rang with another date xx

yes u can use mobiles just keep it on silent so it dosent bother others, nurses arent bothered xx

u mite need more time off work case anyone knocked ur stomach, am sure u will no by how well u heal but dont go bk until ur sure ur ready xx

Hi newcy, I know!! they were going to email me the pre op diet and I would have had to start it immediately but I'm not sure about the pre op assessment tho probably wanted me to go the next day. When were u put on the waiting list and for what surgery if u don't mind me asking? :)

4 months would be perfect - just after kids go back to school after easter hols! I went on list for a sleeve at the end of Dec after having endo x

Last edited:
Back