• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

wtfhappened

My GP suggested I consider weight loss surgery some time ago but declined because, A. I wanted to try and do it on my own, and B. prior to the discussion I had been in hospital a considerable length of time and wasn't a pleasant experience. On the plus side I survived but on the negative I am now unable to walk without the aid of crutches due to nerve damage.

Because of this I have struggled to lose and maintain weight, so I asked GP for help and was put on a weight management course (The Weigh Ahead) with Spire Hospital Southampton.

I have completed tier 3 of the course and have received a letter recommending surgery. I am now waiting to see what happens next. I will be sharing my journey with everyone here including all the good, bad and ugly stuff in the hope others will find it useful and also hoping that those who are ahead of me can support and encourage me.

femfrankie

Shrinking For Sophie
Welcome wtfhappened :) ... Love the name btw hahaha.

I'm in a similar situation in that I can not exercise a great deal due to amongst other things mobility/spinal issues...I also walk with elbow crutches. Looking forward to chatting with you here ..good luck too with referral :)

bazlol

Hi. Like you I considered surgery a couple of years ago and then decided against it as I'd recently had a heart bypass and couldn't face hospital again. I thought I could do it on my own but needless to say 2 years later and another stone heavier I accepted that I needed help. I had my band done in may this year and have lost 1.5 stones of the 5.5 i need to lose. I've still not got full restriction so I'm hopeful the weight loss will continue. I was so scared getting this done but so far it has been the right decision for me. I wish you well in your future weight loss journey x

Lincs Lass

Hi and welcome xx

Beegee

I will be watching with interest too.. it seems we have the same story.. resisting then realising this is the best hnig for us.

sarahrob

Hi, and welcome!

I've never had surgery suggested by my GP, but I've been considering it for a while. It took me ages to talk myself round from seeing it as a negative thing to seeing it as a positive one, but now I'm there.
I'm having a band fitted next week and I'm incredibly excited about it.

Good luck with the referral, I hope it all goes smoothly for you.

wtfhappened

Thank you all for the warm welcome and congratulations, and good luck to sarahrob next week. Let us know how it goes.

I've spent a good few hours browsing round the forum and it's been a real gold mine of information! I'm really hoping I don't have too long to wait for my referral. I've heard some really positive feedback about the surgeons that work in my location.

wtfhappened

UPDATE...

Got my referral letter! My appointment for the bariatric team is for Friday 11th October at the Queen Alexandra Hospital in Portsmouth. I was expecting this to be at Spire Southampton? Anyway I'm overjoyed and can't wait, I'm smiling so much my face hurts!

femfrankie

Shrinking For Sophie
UPDATE...

Got my referral letter! My appointment for the bariatric team is for Friday 11th October at the Queen Alexandra Hospital in Portsmouth. I was expecting this to be at Spire Southampton? Anyway I'm overjoyed and can't wait, I'm smiling so much my face hurts!

Fantastic!! I am so excited for you and those 8weeks will fly in :D

Rupert

Great News, and welcome.

wtfhappened

I've just caught a glimpse at my calendar and the 11th is hurtling towards me like a freight train! I know this is only my assessment but emotionally I'm all over the place.

My biggest fear at the moment is being turned down for surgery. All that aside I've been thinking of all the possibilities if everything turns out in my favour.

I've set myself some small goals to start with and even got to work on my bucket list to keep me motivated and to remind myself why I'm doing this.

Some might think I'm way ahead of myself but with something life changing like this on my mind, It's hard not to think about it!

WeightlossDreamer

WWWW i will keep my fingers crossed for you, for tomorrow hope everything goes in your favour. I was banded at a spire hospital on monday! I cannot wait to be healthy. i look forward to seeing how your journey pans out for you, and i think its a fab idea that your setting yourself mini goals i did and am doing the same thing. I think it really helps and gives you a real sense of achievement. x x x

wtfhappened

Sorry to keep you all in suspense, things have been a bit crazy. Anyway... My hospital appointment went really well and I've been accepted for surgery! Yay!

I've been given a time frame of 2 months and will be having bypass, but no exact date given yet so I will have to let you all know when I get my letter through.

While I was there I made a new friend with someone that was featured on TV that also had bypass. They were there to see dietician, but they looked great!