• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Southampton Newbie

Liverbird92

Hi Everyone!

My GP is in the process of sending my referral off to the Weigh Ahead in Southampton... I'm off for some cholesterol blood tests on monday!

I'm just wondering if there is anyone else doing the same Tier 3 program here in Soton? I'm 5"4 and weighing in at 20 stone which is the heaviest I've ever been. I've tried slimming world (total loss of 3.5 stone only to gain it + more in the following year...) I've been overweight since I was little and have had very little motivation/ will power to lose the weight. I also feel that there is definitely something psychological stopping me from helping myself... this is the bit I think family and friends find harder to understand.

I'm an emotional eater and really struggle with it so much so i have to leave my bank card with a family member. I have a few friends who know I'm looking at the Weigh ahead and surgery options and all are pretty supportive. It's been a real struggle just getting my referral put forward from the GP as they have been pretty unhelpful... I'm hoping the only way is up from here on in!

If any one has any advice about the Weigh ahead program that would be fab.

Lots of Love

Liverbird92 xx

Hi there, not your area but wanted to wish you luck on your journey, it's the best thing I ever did and although it seems a long journey at first it'll be there before you know it :)

Hi, I completed my weigh ahead last July and had surgery in November it's the best tier three I've heard of and although it may seem forever it's worth it. You will see a dietitian possibly Sally, a cognitive therapist possibly Lyn and someone to help you get more active I had Joanne. Six dietitian appointments over six months, minimum of three cognitive therapy and lots of support for motivation in movement. The system operated from hospital however came to my local surgery once a month for dietitian and therapy and then my local fitness centre and is fantastic. It's only after the process I realised how beifical the service is on the NHS we get a lot more support it seems than private.....(for some reason) I'm also 5foot 4 inches however weighed 26stone 10lb at the start. I'm off tonight for another appointment with the head dietitian at Spire to check progress, she is available via phone or email with quick response when I need her. Still a huge learning curve as I'm only three months post operation however I'm seeing the benifits, moving around easier and lots of new clothes shopping. Keep in touch...good luck X X

Just popping by to say hello im not in your neck of the woods but I still wish you every sucess in your quest to be a much happier person

Hi everyone, thanks for comments so far!

beepbeepcat you're doing amazingly well! I'm really shocked about the weightloss I've seen on here for post op it seems incredible. I really do hope they are as good as you say they are! I've had a really poor experience with GP and weight support referrals so far and I just really want to get this weight moving! Does it generally take around six months before they refer you to surgery or does it entirely depend on circumstances?

Do you find that there is a huge difference in your attitude towards food now? I have issues with binge eating and its something I really want to nail on the head. I'm worried that in the long run I could be turned down because of this?!

Also how do you decide which surgery to go for (if they even give you different options!)

Speak soon xx

Hello, firstly it took me years to be refurred as Dr were not able? Or disinterested in my case. I damaged my knee and could hardly move, ended up being very low for about a year until I saw a different partner in the Dr surgery who jumped at the chance to refer me and did it that day. So my weight hadn't changed over the past six years ish and my mental state was always low or extreamly low, it was just a different Dr! I started in January last year and was told by weigh ahead tier three I would be in it for six months and needed to loose 5-10% of access weight. Don't feel judged by these ladies they are fantastic and really are a vital part of your journey. I was completely honest from day one that because of my yo yo dieting, binge eating and emotional eating I had done the research and decided that surgery was a good option however understand that the tier three service was a good key and starting place. I cried at every appointment as I was still unsure if it was just a test or a hoop and then the would just tell me to get on with it. It happened really quick afterwards, you have to embrace the opportunity they have given you. I don't feel hungry ever, head hunger is a part of this however you need to retrain yourself by doing something when you feel this way...life changes.

Thanks thats really helpful. Normally doctors just commented on my weight affecting my body when i had injuries but never actually helping me go that step further. Im looking forward to meeting the team im just hoping i get an appointment soon. Did you find you had to wait long between tier three referral and your first appt?

They lost my paperwork so me being me I chased it and my Dr re sent it so it was 6 weeks I think. They run a quick turnaround on appointments highly busy all the time but I felt that they were supportive. Keep me informed x

Hi Liverbird92,

I'm in Southampton but going the private route as my GP surgery was so dismissive I couldn't seem to explain what I wanted/needed.

So I'm having a bypass at St Richards, Chichester in March and that will hopefully start the slimmer version of me.

I am a binge emotional eater and drink Diet Coke like no tomorrow, but the surgeon was great and listened to why, how etc etc so I made up my own dry January by having flat February (non fizzy drinks) in preparation.

Good luck

Hi jacala im guessing the private route costs a huge amount though!

Do you have to do a pre op diet as well? Think thats what im s
Dreading by not following this properly.
X

Hi liverbird !
I live in Southampton and I am having WLS on 5th April at the Spire :)
My surgery would not refer me , even though I weigh 25st , have a BMI of 52 and have severe arthritic knees !
After reading through a lot of threads on here I found the NHS route can be very hit and miss , I assume it depends on your area and your doctor .. My Dr would not shift on it , even though I asked on 3 separate occasions over 2 years
So I saved and saved and have scraped up enough money to have a gastric band fitted .
Told my doc I had paid for surgery and he congratulates me and says he will support me afterwards !
Anyway , I'm very very excited , I've only had to wait 5 weeks from speaking to spire ..
Hold fast and keep hope
Mindy
Xxxx

Last edited:
Hi liverbird !
I live in Southampton and I am having WLS on 5th April at the Spire :)
My surgery would not refer me , even though I weigh 25st , have a BMI of 52 and have severe arthritic knees !
After reading through a lot of threads on here I found the NHS route. An be very hit and miss , I assume it depends on your area and your doctor .. My Dr would not shift on it , even though I asked on 3 separate occasions over 2 years
So I saved and saved and have scraped up enough money to have a gastric band fitted .
Told my doc I had paid for surgery and he congratulates me and says he will support me afterwards !
Anyway , I'm very very excited , I've only had to wait 5 weeks from speaking to spire ..
Hold fast and keep hope
Mindy
Xxxx
I think the option of getting on the NHS route is whether your Clinical Commissioning Group funds it. It used to be Primary Care Care Trusts and as mine was in considerable debt after a merger it hadn't been an option until the change as no one could get it.

Each CCG makes its own financial decisions as i have found out when trying to get my knee done, and the decisions are made on residential postcode, regardless of which hospital you are referred to - something my GP didn't know when he thought I would be more favorably looked upon at a hospital some miles away. Waste of my time and theirs, and NHS money!!!

Hi liver bird , I've done tier 3 in Soton via weigh ahead . Went to my GP in June 2015 and referral was sent then in August 17th 2015 I started my tier 3 programme , you have an initial weigh in and measurements etc an informal chat about your eating and you will be given food diaries and some ideas about food changes then they will make you an appt with the behavioural change therapist , you'll do 3 therapist apps over 6 months and monthly weigh ins with the nurse ... It's a good opportunity to make changes and think about why you eat what and how you do , you'll be expected to lose 10% of your weight or show that you can make the changes , you'll also do 3 exercise sessions at the gym with a trainer . You have to complete it there are no short cuts once completed weigh ahead will recommend if you are suitable then it's up to your GP to say yes or no and then refer you to the hospital of your choice usually it's about 3 months after that then you get to see a surgeon . If there's anything else I can tell you just ask , I had so many questions x I'm now waiting for my appt with the surgeon and anaesthetist found out today I've been accepted for surgery yeyyyyyy x thanks for everyone's help so far ... It's been really emotional x

FYI liverbird , ive been sleeved now (May 5th) good luck !! Ask anything if you need ! :)

Back