• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi, can anyone advise me?

Pricey_25

Hi everyone. After years of ongoing diets I approached my GP regarding WLS. My bmi is currently 48 and she was very supportive and said she would refer me to tier 4 once 6 months tier 3 completed. As you can imagine I have tried everything SW, hypnotherapy, lighter life. Just lose then put more on. Been on anti depressants last 2 years mainly due to weight issues.

When I met with lifestyle coach last week was told no chance of surgery for me as nowhere heavy enough. Had I actually tried to lose weight? Did I realise how cash strapped NHS was? Implied I wanted it for cosmetic reasons and that my GP was ill informed and just saying nice things to me. Was told the surgeon would say the same and turn me away and that plenty of heavier people would love to be my size! Came out of there crying and feeling stupid.

In the vast experience on here is this correct? I have been dieting 23 years unsuccessfully and had been considering the need for surgery not just on a whim as was implied. Where do I from here. I live in Notts and local bariatric centre is Derby.

Thanks in advance. Sorry for long post, H x

I was referred because of co morbidities .My BMI was only 40. I am attending Derby 3 tier weight system and have lost a stone since i began .However at Derby your weight and BMI for surgery goes from what it was at referral. do you have any evidence of previous weight loss etc as this all helps . I saw the community dietician and hospital dietician prior to getting my first appt at Derby.They have 6 month path and 12 month path depending on your BMI and weight and co morbidities.I am on the 12 month journey and have completed nearly 8 months. My next appt is to see the surgeon to see when i can be listed. I initially rang Derby to see what the criteria was and they told me i fitted the criteria and to get letter from gp and referred.I did and here i am on my way. Every one that has NHS bariatric surgery has to complete a tier 3 course. If you are not happy with your life style coach see another, or go back to your G.P
Hope this helps.

Hi and welcome that sounds awful the general NHS nice guidelines are a BMI over 40 with no co morbidities although this can vary by area but I would defo get a second opinion I know how hard it is please dont give up X

Hi Pricey_25. Sorry to hear you are having a hard time. I have recently opted for sleeve surgery and on waiting list. I have just over ten stones to lose and was met with a different response. In fact they wanted me to do something about it because I had tried so many diets etc. I would not give up but would asked to see someone else if possible. Good luck with your journey.

Hello, I think this is dispicable behaviour, my bmi is at the moment 41 refered at 46 and ive had nothing but encouragement and help yes in years before ive met with unhelpful and judgemental doctours and nurses, i found some one who listened to me i did however have to write it down to explain why i wanted the surgery and referal but some one who was working in this area should be sympathetic and not make you feel horrible shame on her and you meet the NICE guide lines so screw them.

Pricey, that is awful! I am just at the start of this journey myself, but if I was met with such a response I would be moritified!

Please go back and ask to see someone else, that is not the response that should be given by someone working in this area, as Foxy said they should be sympathetic to our issues, not respond in that way. I don't really know how this all works, but do you have contact details for a team that are working with you? Or was that the only person you have dealt with so far? Maybe someone with more experience will come and be able to give you better advice.

For now, all I would say is that the way you have been treated is not acceptable and you have every right to feel upset. As others have said, with your BMI and weight to loose you are absolutely right to consider WLS, if that is what you want.

I hope that you manage to speak to someone else and resolve this.

Thanks for all support. I have decided to complete the tier 3 programme as planned and then get my GP to send a detailed referral. She is very supportive. I can see the community dietician in 6 weeks so I am hoping that goes better.

Hi my BMI was only 43 when I approached my GP about WLS, as he has not had a patient my weight approach him before he said he would be happy to refer me but could make no promises, so when I went to my first appointment I wasn't overly confident but the surgeon was fantastic, asked why it was I wanted the op and what I hoped to achieve, after explaining that id tried diets including the NHS's why weight scheme and that I was high risk of diabetes due to both next of kins having it and my mother all suffers with thyroid problems, he agreed immediately, so in my experience your low BMI isn't the problem, with me the NHS feel that due to the chance of me becoming diabetic the cost of a one off operation to reduce the risk far outweighs the cost to them if I was to become diabetic, so if you have any family history of hereditary illness be sure to mention this, they might see that it's because of health concerns that your wanting to go down the surgical route. All the best x

Thanks for the info on Derby and supportive words from all. My GP was confident that I met the criteria so I am going to complete my tier 3 then get her to refer me to hospital. I am writing everything down I do. I know this is a long process and am prepared for the wait. I am seeing the community dietician in 6 weeks and hope that I am not met with the same attitude.

Hi pricey and welcome. Wow your life couch needs a lesson or two in dealing with people. Sounds like they have an issue with people taking what to them seems "the easy way". Everyone on here will tell you there is no easy way, that it is bloody hard work and is far from easy. That said every areas criteria is different and where I am is strict. Im with forth valley health board in Scotland. We don't have the tier system like in England but we still have similar loops to get through. Referral from a hospital consultant not GP as in England , BMI of over 40 with comorbidities AND diabetes & completed at least 6 months with NHS dietician. I would certainly make enquiries pricey they can only say no ;)

Bit late reading this thread
I am horrified you spoken to like that by someone who is supposed to be helping you ! In fact I would have curled in a corner and ate my way through a weeks worth of junk food if I had been spoken to like that !
Don't people realise that by being so rude about our weight actually makes us eat more ?
I'd like to slap her nasty mouth :x

Back