• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi from a Newbie.

DeniseA

Hi

I just wanted to drop by and introduce myself. I'm a 35 year old mum of 2 young girls. I've never been thin as such but since my late teens my weight has just ballooned. I am ashamed to admit that I weigh 138kg and with a height of 5ft 2 I have a high BMI of over 55 and this has really come as a wake up call to me. I have never admitted that to anyone - not my family or friends! I am now in a position where I am finding things really difficult and trying to lose weight and looking into weight loss surgery as an aid to help me lose weight. Unfortunately I have been told that I don't meet the referral criteria for my NHS area so I am considering my options at present. I have started attending a Weight Management Programme through the NHS which started just yesterday but this for me was a huge step with being overweight, having depression and anxiety I didn't think I'd actually stick around for the duration of the class!

So, this is another new step for me today, joining an online forum to find others in similar situations, to hopefully find friendship, support and help and ideas during this journey.

Thanks for reading xx

Hello @DeniseA and welcome!

You've come to the right place for support. Can I ask what area you live in, as you do meet the NICE recommended criteria, which is BMI of over 40 or over 35 with co-morbidities. A BMI of over 50 ought to be an automatic referral. It can be a bit of a postcode lottery.....

Here's what it says for information:

1.10 Surgical interventions
1.10.1Bariatric surgery is a treatment option for people with obesity if all of the following criteria are fulfilled:

• They have a BMI of 40 kg/m2 or more, or between 35 kg/m2 and 40 kg/m2 and other significant disease (for example, type 2 diabetes or high blood pressure) that could be improved if they lost weight.

• All appropriate non-surgical measures have been tried but the person has not achieved or maintained adequate, clinically beneficial weight loss.

• The person has been receiving or will receive intensive management in a tier 3 service[10].

• The person is generally fit for anaesthesia and surgery.

• The person commits to the need for long-term follow-up.
I would push for a second opinion! depending of course where you live.

Good luck x

From my understanding you do hit the criteria.
Dont give up.
Dripping tap comes to mind.
Some of the doctors don’t fully understand or are just thinking money.
I would definitely push for a second opinion & go armed with the NICE recommend criteia from above.

Just a quick... Hello & welcome,

I too agree with Mazza & Emma,
keep pushing ...for a referal!

And, Good Luck on your weightoss journey....& hopefully surgery.

Toni :rainbow:

• The person has been receiving or will receive intensive management in a tier 3 service[10
Hello @DeniseA and welcome!

You've come to the right place for support. Can I ask what area you live in, as you do meet the NICE recommended criteria, which is BMI of over 40 or over 35 with co-morbidities. A BMI of over 50 ought to be an automatic referral. It can be a bit of a postcode lottery.....

Here's what it says for information:

1.10 Surgical interventions
1.10.1Bariatric surgery is a treatment option for people with obesity if all of the following criteria are fulfilled:

• They have a BMI of 40 kg/m2 or more, or between 35 kg/m2 and 40 kg/m2 and other significant disease (for example, type 2 diabetes or high blood pressure) that could be improved if they lost weight.

• All appropriate non-surgical measures have been tried but the person has not achieved or maintained adequate, clinically beneficial weight loss.

• The person has been receiving or will receive intensive management in a tier 3 service[10].

• The person is generally fit for anaesthesia and surgery.

• The person commits to the need for long-term follow-up.
I would push for a second opinion! depending of course where you live.

Good luck x

Thanks for this info. I am from Ayrshire, Scotland. They are telling me that I currently don't meet their local policy criteria but I think I will follow the advice and gain a second opinion. Nothing ventured nothing gained!! :)

From my understanding you do hit the criteria.
Dont give up.
Dripping tap comes to mind.
Some of the doctors don’t fully understand or are just thinking money.
I would definitely push for a second opinion & go armed with the NICE recommend criteia from above.

Thank you - I totally agree. Sometimes you'd think the doctors were having to pay for these procedures out of their own personal wages! I don't even think they truly appreciate the negative impact that this can have on us when we are faced with such hurdles x

Welcome to the forums, @DeniseA! :D it's really nice to "meet" you. You've definitely come to the right place for support and friendships. The people here are really lovely and all understand what you're going through Xx

Back