• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie from West Midlands

kimgkg

Hi ... just coming on to say Hello! Totally new to this sort of thing, but feel that I shall need the support on my journey ... and from what I've read, I can't think of many other places I will get the support but from people that have been there and done it!!!

Been overweight for as long as I can remember ... a long time ago!!! :D And have started more diets than I can remember ... in fact I think I have every diet book going!! Lose a bit ... and then put it ... and more ... back on!!! :sigh:

However, I have been poorly for a while now with weight related problems ... and STILL I don't lose the weight. Ask me to do something for others ... and it's done, with pleasure ... ask me to do something for myself ... we'll all wait a long time.

In March my diabetic consultant advised me that I have NHS funding approved, and I have my first appointment with my bariatric consultant on Monday.

Am I excited? Yes ... sort of! Am I scared? Petrified!!!!! :sigh:

I have been to Heartlands Support Group a couple of times and they are all brilliant ... very welcoming and supportive ... and I will definitely be going there again. Also looking at possibly going to the Spires, Solihull Support group.

I have also viewed this forum quite often, just never plucked up the courage to say Hello!!!

Well, now I've done it ... and I guess I'm now looking forward to one day being able to support others on their journey!!! :D

Kim

Hello and welcome. Your story could have been mine;) Now your time has come! Are you hoping for a band or bypass? Hope you find all the support and inspiration here, I certainly have:)

Hi and big welcome to the forum, your story runs parallel with many members me included.
It's great that you now have your consultant appointment. Please let us all know how it goes.

BigDave

Oooh good luck for Monday :) And congrats on coming out of the closet and into the playground with us :)

Keep us posted xx

Hello and welcome ... I am there on Monday morning for my pre op assessment :0))
They are all wonderful :0) xx

Hi, like you I was put forward by my diabetic consultant, had my first assessment last Thursday at L&D, hopefully having a bypass, maybe eight months? Good luck

Hi Minxie, Big Dave, Julie, Sara-Louise and Chris! Thank you for your welcome ... you have no idea how pleased I am you have responded ... cos I have been today ... and I have come home confused and not sure where or what to do next! :confused:

I was referred by my Diabetic Consultant, as I said before, to Mr Paul Super at Heartlands, and funding has been agreed for a gastric band. However, when I went to the support group I was told by MANY to ask for a bypass rather than a band. So hubby and I went and saw Mr Super. He explained the band procedure, and was really good about it, and when I explained that I would like to know more about the bypass, he explained that I will have to have another appointment with Mr Kumar. He also explained that although I have funding for a gastric band, I need to check with my PCT whether they will fund a gastric bypass.

He also explained that if I went for the band I could have it in three months ... if I waited for Mr Kumar I would have to get the funding, wait for an appointment with Mr Kumar and then wait on his waiting list ... which he doesn't know how long.

So, I contacted my PCT who explained that my consultant has to send in an Independent Funding Referral explaining why I should have a bypass rather than a band, although they do usually recommend the band as the bypass has so many other complications!!!

Therefore coming home was a very subdued Kim and a hubby, bless him, that says he will support me whatever I do. :sigh:

I think I shall have a look on here to see the success rate of the banders, and then maybe ring Mr Kumar's secretary tomorrow to see how long his list is.

Any thoughts, views, comments etc., would be very welcome. :)

xx

Hi honey, firstly welcome. I am a bander of 2 months and Mr Super did my band. Admitting weight loss has probably not been as fast as I would like but then again I would only be happy if it came off overnight. I chose the band as recovery time was only 1 week and is reversible. Also to reach a good restriction can take several months. I think the bypass procedure is more invasive and recovery time 6 weeks. This is also irreversible I believe but the weight comes off much quicker. Good luck with whtever u choose to do

Kim, hi and welcome. I am a bander, only 1 month ago today, and i hav been happy with the results and my weight loss so far, 10.3 kgs in 28 days. I know my weight loss probably wont be as quick compared to a bypass but i have given my self 2 years to lose around 70kgs. I made my choice based on other banders that i know so it may be helpful to find both longterm bypassers and banders who are prepared to open and truthful about their journies, like the forum members, so you can add their experiences to your decision choice.

Back