• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

hi from Basingstoke

suzysprocket65

Hi. My name is Sue and I'm 52. I am having a bypass in Jan 18 at Spire hosp in Southampton and am just waiting for a date, had pre op 24th nov 17.
I have diabetes, pcos, insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome and am having a bypass as a way of changing the hormones in my body HOPEFULLY.
Has anyone else had a bypass for these reasons ?? I have a bmi of 38. My doctor has told me that I may not lose lots of weight but hormones should sort themselves out and hopefully I should be on a lot less pills.
Had hormone problems since I was 20 so desperate for this to work. Also hope to improve back and hip pain and arthritis in my knees. Found great threads on here tonight, all so positive.

Hi sue,
I have my pre opp at Spire Southampton this Thursday 4th jan 18. I have no idea what type of surgery they will offer me but I’m really excited.
I too have pcos and have a BMI of about 43. How long do they tell u to wait until you get your surgery date? And did they put u on a special diet before surgery? Good luck with your journey xx

Hi Caroline. I had my pre op on 24th Nov. Everyone was lovely, it took about 2 hrs. Got my op date on about 10th Dec and had to start a pre op diet on 19th Dec through Christmas. They give u all details at pre op assessment. I am having bypass because of the diabetes but they all seem to work well if yr motivated. I have lost 20 lb in Dec which is most I have ever lost. Best of luck xx

Wow that’s amazing, I’m so nervous about the pre opp diet. Really hope I can stick to it. Good luck with your surgery, let me know how it goes xx

Hi don' worry about the pre op diet it' not so bad lol I had my pre op at the spire in Nov had my surgery on dec 5 2017 I'm nearly 6 weeks out (sleeve) they give u a choice of milk diet or food I choose food and had toast n jam for breakfast crackers and egg for lunch and omelettes for tea with peppers cheese etc it was ok I lost a stone but was only on it 2 weeks.
The spire is lovely and they really take good care of you I was under Mr Kelly
Good luck to u all xx

Yes I'm on puree at the moment Xmas dinner was sloppy fun haha but I have about 3 to 4 tablespoons of food 3 x a day plus snacks of cheese triangles and mini milk lollys lol and anywhere between 1 to 1 1/2 ltrs of fluid a day im looking forward to thursday as i get to move onto soft foods i cant wait.
I'e had no prolem with any foods and I get the feeling in my chest I know I'm full so stop but it' the best decision I ever made to get it done.

Wow that’s amazing, I’m so nervous about the pre opp diet. Really hope I can stick to it. Good luck with your surgery, let me know how it goes xx
It went well. Had late surgery so didn't get back to room till 10pm. Nurses etc have been lovely and Mr Kelly is wonderful if u have him. I did food diet pre op until last two days then did milk. I ate lots of salad and had tiny Xmas lunch. Gravy meaĺs r fine too as long as it's permitted meat or fish. I started cutting out carbs as soon as I had pre op in Nov so it wasn't such a shock. Best of luck tom it will be fine and u will be keen to get started. Xx

I’ve got Michael van de Bosshce. Have u lost any weight since having it done? Sounds like you have found it all easy which is reassuring xxx

Lost 20 lb pre op but really swollen now so not going near scales till swelling goes down. I go home tom. Yest I did feel crap after op but been fine today. Xx

Hi Sue.

I'm in Basingstoke and I've got my first appointment with the nutritionist next week. How did it go for you and what were the time scales?
Tier 3 is supposed to be six months and then I get discharged back to my doctor. Reading some peoples stories, it seems to take years from start to finish.

My brother had his done in London nearly two years ago and was featured on BBC Hospital in series one, episode six. It's worked wonders for him and really inspired me but I'm just concerned this could take years. :(

Last edited:
Back