• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi I am new, band to sleeve!

MazRob

Hi all, my name is Marianne, I am 45 years old, happily married to Rob for 17 years, mum to Rebecca, 13, and also Waggles the dog and Cuddles the goldfish!

I had my band in May 2006. Over the next 18 months I lost 6 1/2 stone, bringing my BMI down from 43 to 30. No longer obese, just overweight. I was a size 16 and felt comfortable, normal even.

I maintained for 3 years and felt really happy. Then suddenly overnight my band tightened up and I was being sick all the time. In 6 weeks I lost 1.5 stone but I felt dreadful. I was advised to have a complete defill and leave my band empty for 3 months.

I had learned nothing. All my old bad habits reared their ugly heads and I gained 3 stone in those 3 months. I felt wretched. When I started having fills again, I just could not get the restriction right this time around. I guestimate I have had 25 fills and defills.

So I finally said enough is enough, and have decided to revise to a sleeve, having my op next Friday, am even more nervous than last time!!

xxxxxxxx

Hello and welcome!

Shame about all the issues with the band, I wonder why it suddenly tightened, did they have any idea why? (I'm asking because I don't want it to happen to me!)

I wish you all the very best with your sleeve op, and this time I hope you get the result you want x

Best of luck :)

hi and welcome :) good luck for your revision surgery :)

Hello and welcome!

Shame about all the issues with the band, I wonder why it suddenly tightened, did they have any idea why? (I'm asking because I don't want it to happen to me!)

I wish you all the very best with your sleeve op, and this time I hope you get the result you want x

I too am interested to know this :/

Well I was told that apparently the band can sometimes take on fluids from your body and become overfilled. I honestly think it was just bad luck on my part. I absolutely loved my band up to that point and I still do, I am just sorry I was not able to make it work second time around xxx

Hi, I'm back on this group after many years of being ok on my band. I had it done privately in belgium. I lost six stone and had a tummy tuck. went from a 24-14/6 clothes. Sadly I have had increasing arthritis that involved caustic meds being taken. They made me soooooo sick. Due to this they changed my meds n gave me something that nearly killed me. I was very very ill due to a severe reaction and ending up in hospital and now have Stevens johnson syndrome as a result. To assist me to live I was fed with masses of steroids for seven months. I put on three stone in this time and got very depressed from the steroids. I was also referred to nhs fat clinic as I was so ill. My arthritis regressed and I was in constant pain. Then my band got tighter n tighter n I was sick, reflux ing n could only sleep sitting up. I would wake up chocking from acid that often went in my lungs n being asthmatic too, was very nasty. Had band for arthritis health help n in the end it nearly killed me. I had to have loads of tests and a camera put down me without anaesthetic. Nightmare. Eventually i had to have it removed as an emergency this march. The surgeon said my stomach had herniated thru my diaphragm and onto my heart and lungs, hence having problems breathing. Then I was so sleepy and put on six stone in all in just over a year my fat clinic wondered if I had sleep apnoea. I went to Papworth hospital and yes I did have it. I now sleep on a machine as my excessive weight gain has caused e to stop breathing at night 14 times an hour. So I sleep with a mask on like Hannibal lecter n I hate it! The BEST thing out of it tho is iwas referred for revision surgery at Luton as sleep apnoea is a qualifying financial ok for surgery :))) I went today after only being referred two weeks ago n was told I qualify for revision and I can have it in four months. Will see the surgeon next Friday to discuss whether I have by pass or,sleeve due to my adhesions from three previous surgeries. How exciting and how quick??? Really interested in anyone going on my journey from band to revision all surgery. Good luck everyone :)))

Hi all, my name is Marianne, I am 45 years old, happily married to Rob for 17 years, mum to Rebecca, 13, and also Waggles the dog and Cuddles the goldfish!

I had my band in May 2006. Over the next 18 months I lost 6 1/2 stone, bringing my BMI down from 43 to 30. No longer obese, just overweight. I was a size 16 and felt comfortable, normal even.

I maintained for 3 years and felt really happy. Then suddenly overnight my band tightened up and I was being sick all the time. In 6 weeks I lost 1.5 stone but I felt dreadful. I was advised to have a complete defill and leave my band empty for 3 months.

I had learned nothing. All my old bad habits reared their ugly heads and I gained 3 stone in those 3 months. I felt wretched. When I started having fills again, I just could not get the restriction right this time around. I guestimate I have had 25 fills and defills.

So I finally said enough is enough, and have decided to revise to a sleeve, having my op next Friday, am even more nervous than last time!!

xxxxxxxx

His did you get on Hun ?

Back