• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi im due to have gastric sleeve and hernia op on april 15th.

Morning
Today is a better day, I've been home since Thursday 7 pm so just over 24 hours from surgery. I feel human again so that's good. Hoping to drink a bit more today buts it's hard going I, full after a couple of sips, still that will get better. Thanks for all your wishes xx Kim

Morning Today is a better day, I've been home since Thursday 7 pm so just over 24 hours from surgery. I feel human again so that's good. Hoping to drink a bit more today buts it's hard going I, full after a couple of sips, still that will get better. Thanks for all your wishes xx Kim
Morning Kim

A week out now almost - how are you feeling honey ? Hope all is well :) x

I came home last Friday, the day after my op. having spent my time in the HDUnit due to using a CPAP machine for my sleep apnoea. I can't fault the care I had and I also can't believe how good I am. Don't get me wrong there is pain from wind and feeling like you have been kicked in the stomach by a horse, but I accept that and know it is only temporary. Am keeping fluids down, but have to concentrate on eating as it too easy to take bigger mouthfuls than you should, which seems to happen when my mind is on something else.

It is so nice having had the operation after waiting for nearly three years. Never thought it would happen. Now to follow the right path to get me to my healthier weight whatever that might be, I am not setting myself a specific target, I just want to healthier again.

Best of luck to everyone wherever you are on your journey.

Yes 6 days today and been out for a little walk round the shops with my daughter and granddaughter nice to get out for a walk and some fresh air. I'm keeping liquids down no trouble sip sip sip but coffee doesn't taste right no idea why as I love coffee had to resort to half strength options drink this morning. Going to keep trying coffee as I was a 10 cups a day person and tea just doesn't do it for me, any one else had taste changes xkim

Sundowners glad your ok sounds pretty much same as me regarding recovery, I'm only on liquids for 4 weeks though, so not tried any solids yet I have 2 protein drinks a day and struggle to get through them have to do half at a time. I working up to managing the whole two in one day lol
All the best to everyone for their ops this week if any planned x Kim

Yes 6 days today and been out for a little walk round the shops with my daughter and granddaughter nice to get out for a walk and some fresh air. I'm keeping liquids down no trouble sip sip sip but coffee doesn't taste right no idea why as I love coffee had to resort to half strength options drink this morning. Going to keep trying coffee as I was a 10 cups a day person and tea just doesn't do it for me, any one else had taste changes xkim

Hi Kim. I'm 8 days post bypass and noticed a different taste to water. It is getting better but when it doesn't taste nice, I'm not inclined to drink it!

I was never much of a coffee drinker but I've been having 2 a day since my op, but I've made them milky coffees. I put 200ml of milk in a mug, microwave it for 1 minute 45, then add 2 teaspoons of skimmed milk powder for extra protein then a spoon of azera coffee. Goes down a treat for me. And unless I've worked it out wrong, it's 11.2 g of protein. I have checked on myfitnesspal and it agrees with me so I think it's right. :)

I came home last Friday, the day after my op. having spent my time in the HDUnit due to using a CPAP machine for my sleep apnoea. I can't fault the care I had and I also can't believe how good I am. Don't get me wrong there is pain from wind and feeling like you have been kicked in the stomach by a horse, but I accept that and know it is only temporary. Am keeping fluids down, but have to concentrate on eating as it too easy to take bigger mouthfuls than you should, which seems to happen when my mind is on something else.

It is so nice having had the operation after waiting for nearly three years. Never thought it would happen. Now to follow the right path to get me to my healthier weight whatever that might be, I am not setting myself a specific target, I just want to healthier again.

Best of luck to everyone wherever you are on your journey.

Welcome to the other side! I'm the same, I feel quite good. I expected to feel much worse really :)

I did 2 big gulps and instantly regretted it. Managed to keep it down after much gurgling. Too easy to get distracted :)

Good luck for the rest of your journey. Look forward to following with interest :)

Hi all
I'm getting a bit confused I've not been told to have so much protein or any guidelines apart from liquid only for 4 weeks, which is to include the prescribed protein fortimel drinks, plenty of other liquid and 2 of those, so free water sugar free squash tea coffee oxo and clear soup. When I go to the dietician in 6 weeks do they say that then, or do they rely on the vitamins etc I have to have. When I go onto purée the protein drinks stop and there is no mention of having any other form of protein. Is everyone diffrent depending where your ops are? As it appears to be to me. Kim x

Hi all
I'm getting a bit confused I've not been told to have so much protein or any guidelines apart from liquid only for 4 weeks, which is to include the prescribed protein fortimel drinks, plenty of other liquid and 2 of those, so free water sugar free squash tea coffee oxo and clear soup. When I go to the dietician in 6 weeks do they say that then, or do they rely on the vitamins etc I have to have. When I go onto purée the protein drinks stop and there is no mention of having any other form of protein. Is everyone diffrent depending where your ops are? As it appears to be to me. Kim x

It does seem to be different everywhere. In my area, they said to try and get protein in for healing by adding milk powder to milk, adding beans to soups, that kind of thing Eventually I'm aiming for 60-80g of protein a day but not yet. I've been told I'm on liquids for 3 weeks, puree for 3, soft for 3 then eventually solids. Some people are told to make that transition quicker. Who knows!

I'd just follow what you've been told :)

Over two weeks now since your op. Hope your healing well and managing ok. How's it going honey?

Hiya Debs
I'm healing really well, I had 5 entry wounds 4 normal sized and a tiny one, they are nearly gone, no redness at all since op I have been using bio oil to rub in all over my torso and tum, as I thought it might help the elasticity in my skin.
I am feeling good still tired at times but to be expected, been out all afternoon at a family party and I had a good time as everyone knew I had the op I spent most of the time explaining what I could and couldn't eat, whilst they all ate lamb tagine, moussaka, jackets pots and cake, and the surprising thing was I wasn't bothered.
I am starting to try to walk a bit more as I can't do any real exercise due to my hernia op, but I can manage a turn round tesco, and can't help looking at the clothes and thinking almost, only a few more pounds and I'll be a 22.
To be honest Deb the only problem is going to the loo, that's a chore, I have never before suffered from constipation, but I am now. I don't suppose it's surprising as I'm on fluids only and will be for another week and half but it's hard work, as this is new to me I'm not really sure if this is usual at this stage and how long I should leave it, but I think I'll take something tonight.
It's day 18 today since the op and I have lost 17lb so it's obviously working. Happy Days.
Kim x

Hiya Debs I'm healing really well, I had 5 entry wounds 4 normal sized and a tiny one, they are nearly gone, no redness at all since op I have been using bio oil to rub in all over my torso and tum, as I thought it might help the elasticity in my skin. I am feeling good still tired at times but to be expected, been out all afternoon at a family party and I had a good time as everyone knew I had the op I spent most of the time explaining what I could and couldn't eat, whilst they all ate lamb tagine, moussaka, jackets pots and cake, and the surprising thing was I wasn't bothered. I am starting to try to walk a bit more as I can't do any real exercise due to my hernia op, but I can manage a turn round tesco, and can't help looking at the clothes and thinking almost, only a few more pounds and I'll be a 22. To be honest Deb the only problem is going to the loo, that's a chore, I have never before suffered from constipation, but I am now. I don't suppose it's surprising as I'm on fluids only and will be for another week and half but it's hard work, as this is new to me I'm not really sure if this is usual at this stage and how long I should leave it, but I think I'll take something tonight. It's day 18 today since the op and I have lost 17lb so it's obviously working. Happy Days. Kim x

Hi Hun

It sounds like you're doing really well. You must be so pleased at that rate of loss. I can't quite imagine what that must be like. I've read a lot about the impact on bowel habits and have stocked up both with tablets to help and tablet to prevent as who knows which way this will go!!!!

I am a week into LSD and my op is 2 weeks away but it seems like a lifetime. Yet it only seems minutes ago that we were sharing details of our journeys to date.

I am very hopeful that my Op and recovery mirrors yours - I don't fancy any drama!

Have you found it hard being on liquids for so long - we are 4 weeks aren't we at Walsall before we can even move to purée. How you coping with that?

Take care xx

Yes Debs 4 weeks liquid, it's seems like I've never eaten food lol, but I'm not hungry so not looking round for anything to munch on. It's 11.30am and I've been awake since 7 and all I've had is a very small milky coffee, my usual water/squash and 2 teaspoons of sugar free jelly and 2 teaspoons of ready made low fat custard (which I've just had) I chop up the jelly and mix with the custard. I am so full I won't have anything till at least 4 this afternoon apart from water, it's astounding. I am having my multi bits and can see why now.
Your under the same team as I am and I sure your op and recovery will be as smooth as mine has been so far.
Just going to try to have a little walk first time in a couple of weeks I have put my trainers on, so must be feeling better.
See ya later Kim x

Hi guys, thought I better update you on my progress. I am 24 days post op and 24lbs lighter. Was on liquid diet for two weeks, since then it's been mushy and will be til 8 weeks. I am feeling brilliant, so much so that my doctor said I must not try to run before I can walk. It's so easy to forget that my insides have been chopped around, I have to be conscious of that.

Hope you are all doing OK.

I worked out this morning that I have lost a total of 91 lbs since I started this journey, but still loads to go, can't believe I could ever be slim. I am carrying most of my weight around my hips and can't wait for that to go.

Fabulous loss Sundowners,my op was at same time and I haven't lost as much as you, so your doing really well.
My food is still liquid as I have to do 4 weeks liquid, 4 weeks purée then carry on just eating chunkier food till it's what would be considered normal.
Also I don't see the consultant until June so much longer before I go back to the hospital.
I seem to have turned a corner this week and feel a lot better and seem to have more energy.
Are you managing to eat, I'm really struggling as I have no hunger or cravings, I even struggle to drink enough water as I'm always full. Mind you I feel well so can't be doing much wrong.
Kim x

Hi Kim - if my memory serves me well you're 3 weeks out tomorrow. Just wonders how things are going? Hope you are well and liquids aren't driving you crazy! Take care x

Hi Debs It's 4 weeks tomoz, the time has flown actually, I'm trying a bit of purée with differing success , I had a teaspoon of scrambled egg it was fab but beams were a big no no. I'm feeling well and getting more energy back each day. Not long for you now how's the LSD going, is it the 20th for you? This last week will fly, are you going to hospital on your own or have you got some company? Is it close enough for your family to visit?

Last edited:
I'll give a quick update on my progress, 5 weeks in and on purée, I don't seem to be able to tolerate meat or most veg, but can manage a tiny bit of fruit. I'm still only eating 2 teaspoons at a sitting whether that's yoghurt or veg purée and gravy. I can do a tiny cup of soup, so my hubby is having three quarters of a cup a soup and me the rest. The strangest thing is that I used to drink at least 10 mugs of very strong coffee a day, now I have had to buy tiny expresso cups and I have 1 a day. I am trying to have 4 or 5 tiny meals a day as I suddenly feel drained and have worked out I need energy, it's hard though as I never feel the need to eat. I have tried wetabix but it's like concrete in my tum, so sticking to yoghurt for breakfast. Sorry for rambling but this is just as I've thought it. On the up side the weight is dropping off and I've just bought a top from per una for the first time ever. X

Back