• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi im new, questions about starting

lynsey2510

Hi all, hoping you can answer a few questions for me if you dont mind :)
My name is Lynsey, im 31, im 21stone ( I think ) BMI is around 43, im morbidly obese, im from merseyside. Ive been on a diet for most of my life, lost a few stone on Weight watchers in the past and recently lost 4 stone on Lighter life, I have another 6 stone to lose though. I think ive put on 2 stone from the 4 I lost :sigh: when I started eating again. Im at the end of my tether with this. Does anyone know if it sounds like I would be suitable for NHS gastric band? Do I fit the criteria? Has anyone has one done in merseyside? Will my GP just laugh at me when I go to see him? Any advice will be helpful. Thank you.

Hi and welcome to Minis. Go see your GP - this was the hardest step for me - actually talking to someone properly about my over-eating but if you are serious about surgery it needs to be done. My starting BMI was 43 and I did not meet the criteria in my area but it varies from place to place so go for it - I had my band in July, have lost almost 5 stone and don't regret it for a second. Good luck xx

Hi there and welcome. A good place to start is here:

http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/66792-nhs-funding-surgery-where-start.html

That will help you to find out what the requirements in your area are. Then you should have a look through our threads. There are some great stories here about people's journey to wls and the scoop on the band procedure.

Best of luck, ask questions as they come up and keep us posted on your progress.

:D:D:D

Hi Lynsey. welcome to MIni's. You will find all the support you need here.

Ive not had surgery yet as ive only just been referred. The first thing you need to do is see your GP and ask for him to refer you for weight loss surgery. There is somewhere on here a link to the BOSPA pages which have the NICE criteria. sorry dont know how to post links, but this will tell you what the criteria is that you have to meet specific to your own region.

Keep asking questions on here. The experienced folk are only to willing to help x

Hi Lynsey, welcome to Mini's. I'm from Wirral and had NHS surgery with a BMI of 39.8 at funding.

Hi and welcome to minis. go and see your GP and talk about you options. alot will depend on which PCT you fall under. have a look on the net to see what their criteria is for WLS. good luck with it all x

Hi I went to my GP and was told they dont do it in my area. So here I am doing the CD. Hoping to get a tummy tuck though when im completed!! Good Luck with ur GP. I got a tel app when I asked mine. He was horrible and luaghed down the phone when I asked. Which i thought was disgusting. But then I found the CD and hope this will be better for me.

Babybaillie, thats awful about your doctor. Hope the CD is the one for you.
Thank you all so much for your speedy replies, didnt think Id get a reply! Will book an appointment for my GP and look at my PCT website. Thank you.

speak to your gp, se website for criteria as you may have a co-morbidity thingy that will help your case and have you tried weighloss meds from dr as i think most places seem to want you to have tried them but not all and good luck my funding went thru easy but my bmi was in the high 50's

Hi Lynsey,

Talk to your GP and dont take no prejudice from them. The funding link is a good place to start. You seem like your in a good place to get this done, having tried other diets etc. Good luck with getting your funding. I hope it all goes well for you. Keep us posted. Take care R x

Hi there and welcome to the forum. I'm not in your area but what I can tell you is hang around here, you will get amazing advice and make friends along the way. Ultimately the decision you make to which way you want to go will be yours but the advice and information you will recieve here will be of huge significance.

I'm around 5 weeks post bypass now and have used minimins and the people I have got to know here as a sounding block many times now and have nothing but praise. Some people here routinely go through the forum offering sound advice many times over.

The journey to deciding if wls is for you can seem a long and daunting one at times and also extrememly frustrating but if you hang in there and fight your corner you will get there even if it takes a bit of time. On the other hand you could also be one of the lucky ones as I was (I've had to wls on the nhs with hardly any effort to get them).

Wish you all the luck in what ever you decide is for you and all the best for 2009

Alia xxx

i1w6qs.jpg
sweetheart, like the other girlies said...go for it, what the heck, you've lost nothing if you are refused, which I doubt.

Good luck

Back