• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi im Tilly :)

tillyrose

I'm right at the start of the process, I was referred by my GP in March, I've seen the community dietician who referred me to Leeds General Infirmary, at my appointment with the clinical dietician there, at the end she said she believed a bypass would be better for me and I was to undergo a sleep study via my GP and she'd give me a call in a few weeks..

I'm a complete noob and don't know what this means, anyone else have that said?

Caren

Love my sleeve!!
I'm right at the start of the process, I was referred by my GP in March, I've seen the community dietician who referred me to Leeds General Infirmary, at my appointment with the clinical dietician there, at the end she said she believed a bypass would be better for me and I was to undergo a sleep study via my GP and she'd give me a call in a few weeks..

I'm a complete noob and don't know what this means, anyone else have that said?
Hey Tilly, welcome to the site :) a sleep study is where the test you for sleep apnoea, as it can be dangerous to operate if you have the condition and its not being treated. Good luck :) xxx

chrisa

Yes nice to hear from you Tilly, on the long winding road to WLS good luck wioth your journey post away with any questions always someone here that canhelp you in some way shape or form xx

tillyrose

Thank you Chrisa, I think I'll need it Ha, I didn't realise it was so complicated to get through, hopefully I'll meet someone who had theirs in Leeds :p

jojojelly

Hi Tilly,
I had my bypass in Leeds just over 4 weeks ago. There are a group of us from this area (pre & post op), we met up recently in Bradford. Everyone is lovely & it's great for asking each other questions. We're meeting up again on Tuesday. We have a thread going on here: shout out to all west yorkshire peeps??
check it out :D
Jo x

tillyrose

Yay Jo thank you!! Sounds great, it's been so sudden I just went to the doctor with aching knees and she suggested WLS as an add on to a Rheumatoid referral so I'm just getting used to the idea. I'll post on there next!

Thank you Peterborough Guy everyone seems so friendly :)

Evenstarr

Hiya, welcome to the site.
There's lots on here from Leeds, Bradford, Sheffield etc
Em xxxx

tillyrose

Hello Em, thank you, lol yes I've been having a look around I've spoken to a few, everyone is so friendly I expected lots of trolling I don't know why.

Congratulations Sam do you feel like you've gone a few rounds with Mike Tyson? Yes I see why it would distract you, to be honest it's nice to read so many stories my husband isn't happy I'm going to get the bypass so I've found it impossible to talk to him about it, I went to the doctors with knee pain and came out telling him I'm being referred for WLS so he was pretty shocked.

twinkle toes

hi tilly yorkshire lass here too who's starting at beginning but ur more infront than me, im yet to be referred after ive seen surgery nurse for a few months, uve chose a great site to join xx

chrisa

Hello Em, thank you, lol yes I've been having a look around I've spoken to a few, everyone is so friendly I expected lots of trolling I don't know why.

Congratulations Sam do you feel like you've gone a few rounds with Mike Tyson? Yes I see why it would distract you, to be honest it's nice to read so many stories my husband isn't happy I'm going to get the bypass so I've found it impossible to talk to him about it, I went to the doctors with knee pain and came out telling him I'm being referred for WLS so he was pretty shocked.

My husband did not want me to have the bypass either so I made hime come to the hospital with me to ask the consultant questions, the main think he was worried about was could I ever eat a meal again, and what woulkd I be able to eat. The surgeon told him everything i can eat now just in very small quantities, also told him it wasnt reversible and that if he thought I was in any doubt he would not go ahead with the surgery, this put his mind at rest he was obviously still worried but not as much as he had been and has been a continuous support to me, as have my clkose family and friends. I think the hardest part is accepting the fact that its final and theres no turning back once its done, I will not lie to you and you will find after the op you will have the odd day when you think what have I done but it is worthwhile, I can eat almost anything so I would reccommend it. xx GOOD LUCK XX;)

tillyrose

Hello Twinkle :) (my names Claire really) ha I feel like a fraud calling myself Tilly (I just didn't want to show up on a Google search)

Thank you, yes I think so I've tried not to become obsessed by it but I can't talk about it at home so it will be great to have people to talk to that are going/have gone through the same process :)

tillyrose

chrisa said:
My husband did not want me to have the bypass either so I made hime come to the hospital with me to ask the consultant questions, the main think he was worried about was could I ever eat a meal again, and what woulkd I be able to eat. The surgeon told him everything i can eat now just in very small quantities, also told him it wasnt reversible and that if he thought I was in any doubt he would not go ahead with the surgery, this put his mind at rest he was obviously still worried but not as much as he had been and has been a continuous support to me, as have my clkose family and friends. I think the hardest part is accepting the fact that its final and theres no turning back once its done, I will not lie to you and you will find after the op you will have the odd day when you think what have I done but it is worthwhile, I can eat almost anything so I would reccommend it. xx GOOD LUCK XX;)

Thanks Chrisa he says he is worried about me dying and that the risks are too high, but in there I think he's scared of the change and in a lot of ways I think it suits him that I have become so self conscious and introvert. The operation being irreversible doesn't worry me so much, I've not done a good job having the choice to eat what I like, the structure is appealing, you know? I'm glad it's worked out for you.

chrisa

I think the mortality rate is 1 in 200, and yes I think sometimes if we stay big and overweight we become intravert and self conscious and they want us to stay that way not nastily but it suits them, because we look after them when we feel like that bout ourselves. I am 46 my husband is 53 my kids are 23 and 25, so it was my time to do something, i work full time, as do we all, and fro a long time now I have been the heaviset in our house hold I now am the lightest, but that is never mentioned, we are all on the large side. I couldn't see an al;ternative for me the only option i had left was surgery, so it had and hjas to keep on working. I have had to make sacrifices but its a good feeling to lose weight and they need to overcome their own insecurities. I was so excited when I got my date and the close rit got i kept giggling to myself but like you couldn't really say too much, my sisters came to see me the night before and asked how i was feeling as they were getting in their car, I told them I was so excited they thought i would be so nervous, mind you soo did I. I walked out of that hospital 4 days later elated and soo proud of myself, and I knew that hubbyu was proud too and that I have managed so well. He really helped me soo much when I came home he an dmy daughter made the first weeks meals, blended everything up sorted out what i was having etc, because those first few days takes some getting your head round. I never looked back went back to work 2 weeks later. xx

tillyrose

Aw Chrisa that's a lovely outcome, I'm 38 and my husband is 43, I'm a foster carer and at the moment I'm fostering a 19 month old and an 8 month old baby alongside an 11 year old boy and I have my own 13 year old daughter, and I'm just exhausted all the damn time my knees are killing me and my back too, getting up and down all the time. I don't think I can carry on if I don't do something soon so I don't have any choice. My sister is larger than I am and I can't talk to her about it either because she is too scared to get the operation herself and disapproves of me going through it. At the end of the day I can't remember the last time I did something just for me so they're going to have to live with it ha!!

chrisa

Well done you it might just spur her on to do something when she sees you losing weight she'll want to know how, people ask me how i'v done it all the time, i am honest n tell them, some approve n some think its cheating, i know its the only way i could do it. You go for it and yes it has to be for you, fostering is a marvellous thing and it takes a special person to be able to do that and give and show unconditional love to them and your own child, you are a hero and the op will be a breeze. Just no lifting for a while. xx

pandora

finding my way again !
Hi Claire , welcome :)
I am a southerner , but just as friendly .
My advice would be to ask loads of questions & do loads of research , the more informed you are the easier you will find it xx

tillyrose

Chrisa um I'm just not listening to any negativity anymore lol I'm not asking for their approval I'm just doing what I want. Aw that's sweet but truthfully the main reason I started fostering was so I didn't have to go back to work, I didn't want other people raising my kids, I really love it though, and yep hubby is going to have to book a few weeks holiday :p

Pandora hello :) thank you for the warm welcome, I can't believe how friendly everyone is and thank you, yes I am but really there aren't as many horror stories out there as I expected.