• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi y'all

soup-dragon

Hi, I'm soup dragon and after trillions of years of failing diets I have decided to opt for wls, expensive and scary though it is. I've got a few weeks before my op and am hoping to pick up some tips from you guys. Looking forward to reading all your posts.
Soupie.

Hi Soup Dragon & welcome to the site.

What surgery are you opting for? Private or NHS?

Have you got a date for your op yet?

Come on tell us more!:D

OK, it's private because I wasn't granted NHS even with a BMI of 53 and high BP, it's RY and it's mid July. Very scary.

It will be the best thing you've ever done for yourself. I think everyone's had the OMG what have I done moments but the benefits far outweigh the odd hard time.

Good luck with it all. x

Good luck with your bypass, i'm waiting for funding (i have the same bmi with high bp) hope they don't refuse me.....lol
Jan

hy soupie and good luck with your bypass. dont worry its dont so bad , we all have difference experiances but we all say its the best thing weve ever done.i went through the stage were i was scred stiff and was thinking i couldnt do it ,i think its something we all do but on the day i had no nerves and couldnt get in the theater quick enough i was so eager. i never had a moments pain from the op and was home 2 days later. could have been next day but i had a stomuch infection.nothing to do with op,i would just like to say that youve picked the right name as youll have plenty of soup but you may want to change it after cause youll probabably be sick of site of soup ha ha ...............kath x

Hi soupie

I am also having op in july the 20th , i am having the bypass too...i am also very worried and frightened, the guys on here are great ...........
I was told to start my pre-op diet the 2 weeks ago it is the food one, low carbs, low fat and high protein its not too bad just a little bland.

well i wish you well with you op and journey and as we will be having ops around same time maybe we could keep in touch x

Hi and welcome.
I had my bypass 3 weeks ago and so far so good.
Good luck x

Thanks guys. It's certainly encouraging all round ! I'm definitely more confident than I was even a few weeks ago so I am hoping I can sustain that confidence as I'm normally a bit of a woose (spelling ?) It is really good to read about your success stories and I'm hoping to join you in posting these after the op. Did any of you meet with any resistance from friends, family ? eg lots of advice NOT to do it ? Soupie.XX

A lot of people will have had resistance from those around them on here Soupie, my advice would be tell who needs to know, don't feel obliged to confess to everyone and their grannie...it's your body and your business.. do what you feel comfortable with.
As regards the ney-sayers, just harvest as much info as you can from here and your surgery provider...people's usual point of reference about WLS is the rare horror story from some story in a magazine ...so they tend to wade in with all sorts of wild opinions on what might happen etc.
Educate yourself to what really happens and then you will be ready to calm their fears or rise above any nonsense...depending on which way each person reacts.
Assure loved ones you will be the best version of you and that you will still love them....and prepare to find out who your real friends really are xxxx

Good advice Neen. I just don't want people to feel scared on my behalf as I am lacking in courage anyway. I have already decided to tell as few peeps as possible, but I guess if I am succcessful, they will get to know anyway !
Soupie.XX

This is not a decision you have taken lightly, it is normal to be racked with doubts at some point in the proceedings...and feel almost guilty for choosing the surgery route...specially when people start piping up about "easy way out"
Oh yeah you are gonna get that from someone! Just remember this is YOUR life and it is true , you get only one bash at it. This is one of those risks that is worth taking and can be the start of your life how you want to be. The people that truly love you will support you and nuture you as you change...the drains will try to undermine your confidence and put pressure on you to stay the same because it suits them and their insecurity.
After you have explained the pros and cons in a realistic way to those who you want to tell..the good ones will understand and try to help you because they will want you healthy and happy...the ones who don't after getting the facts and knowing how it can benefit you...well they are the ones that you can only benefit by losing along with the pounds xxxx

Well done on making the decision to have surgery soupie. Yes, it's going to be hard and will have ups and downs. But, in the end you will be a healthier person with more chance of living a normal life. Good luck! xx

Thanks guys. It's certainly encouraging all round ! I'm definitely more confident than I was even a few weeks ago so I am hoping I can sustain that confidence as I'm normally a bit of a woose (spelling ?) It is really good to read about your success stories and I'm hoping to join you in posting these after the op. Did any of you meet with any resistance from friends, family ? eg lots of advice NOT to do it ? Soupie.XX

I've got two best friends, one was completely against the surgery and the other was fully supportive. But, after talking to the against pal, I discovered that she was under the impression that having the bypass would mean that I'd be on baby food for the rest of my life! After we'd had a really good chat about it and I'd explained everything to her, although she wasn't fully convinced, she knew that I'd made an informed decision.

Now four months on, she can see a very real difference, not only in my appearance, but in me and is really happy for me.

Some people do have a very jaded view of WLS, but they tend to be the people who know very little about it other than what they 'think' it entails.

This process is all about you and your life, some people will understand, others will think you took the easy way out but what matters is your health and the way you feel about it.

This isn't an easy ride (although so far I've been quiet problem free). I'm sure after you've read some diaries on here you'll have a good all round view of the positives & negatives that you may go through. Good luck with your journey x

The best advice i can give you is read everything you see on here! It's what i've done for the last 11 months and i am feeling well prepared for my op which by the way is 2 WEEKS TODAY!

Good luck and don't worry about the haters n doubters, you'll show them with results not arguments xxx

Back