• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

hi

Finn

Hi everyone, I've been reading the forums for a few months now and it spurred me on to take my GP's advice. He has now referred me to Walsall and I received my consultation appointment today for the end of the month. I'm really unsure about surgery and I would only consider gastric banding to be honest. I would like to know if anyone who has been seen at Walsall whether they were pressurised to go for the bypass option.
Good luck to everyone x

Hi Finn and welcome

I had my WLS at Walsall 10 months ago and am almost 8 stones down now. Best thing I ever did. Walsall do have a preference for the bypass, but they have been offering the band more lately.

Is there any reason why you will only consider the band? What are your eating habits? Are you more about large portions, or do you have a sweet tooth. You should choose the op that best suits your eating habits, as whichever surgery you have you will have to work with it for life if you want to lose the weight and then maintain what you have lost.

Good luck with your appointment. We have a monthly support meeting over at Great Wyrley in Walsall which you would be most welcome to attend.

Hi Finn

I had my bypass at Walsall 3 weeks ago, as Sam said there are quite a few Walsall Manor patients on here. I was asked on the day of my surgery if i wanted a band however knowing my love of chocolate and the way i can eat humungous amounts (especially if having a bad day) i stuck with the advice given years ago to have the bypass.

The fear of the band failing and the knowledge that you really have to work hard with the band still made my choice so firm....

If i was you i'd listen to the advice at your appt and be completely honest about your eating habits with them. Read all you can on this site and then think about what you've read.....

As Sam said there is a monthly support meeting on a Monday evening at Great Wyrley which really is a great help.

A few of us have met or are planning to meet for coffee in our local supermarket because not all of us can make the meet and you would be more than welcome to join us for that if you can't make the meet or if you just want to get some mates who know where you are and how you feel...

Feel free to add me on facebook or email me [email protected] and i'll tell you more x

Thanks for the replies and advice. I already feel at home :)
I guess my biggest fear is the surgery itself and the band option doesn't seem so radical. I eat large quantities of food so thought the band would limit that - then again, I can binge on chocolate too. I feel this is by far one of the most important decisions in my life and want to make the right choice.
I love the idea of the support group but I will probably wait until I've had my initial appointment before I attend the meetings. I just need to get my head around the idea that my weight has become so out of control that my only option is surgery !
Good luck to everyone x

Hi Finn and welcome.
I have found this forum fantastic and the ladies and gentelmen will give truthful and honest facts . I was always just going for the gastric band ,but after talking with some of the girls i am now leaning towards the bypass too.
Good luck with your wls journey.
Marie.:welcome2:

Back