• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Holidays

icey

Evening all

I hope to have my band at the earliest date available in August, we fly out to Tunisia on the 1st September. Do you think i will be ok to fly etc and of course find something to eat? Will i still be on the mushy diet at this point say 4 wks later?
I have to have it then as i finish UNI 26th July and start UNi 23rd Sept, No alcohol either will be the first sober holiday ive ever had :p

karen x

It depends on your provider. You will be fine to fly but if your provider is like mine, at 4 weeks you will be going into the soft food stage....stuff you can break up with a fork. You will be able to have fish, mash, scrambled eggs/poached eggs, soft fruit, very slow-cooked meat. That's according to my team, your team may be different. It might be best to give them a wee call and check with them xxx

I have my first appointment on the 23rd so ill write all my questions down. I wont have anything to ask as all you lovely ladies have been so helpful.
I used to live In Glasgow sashie, It was the "wee" that made me look where your from
karen x

Go armed with a list, even if you think they are daft questions. I'm sure they will be happy to answer anything.

Lol it's a habit I can't get out of! I always type "wee" lol

I'm a Weegie too, about to move back through from Edinburgh.

Good luck with your appointment

xxx

it really will depend on provider, a the start of week 5 with mine we are moving into normal foods ahead of the first fill at week 5-6 (they don't tend to put an n with my provider at time of surgery)

How long are you away for? Can you get an earlier date for surgery or even have it after the holiday, they advise we can return to work after 7 days, so you would be ok in terms of in starting you would just be on a pre-op diet on holiday.

Earliest would be the last week in July, im having my op with THG.
I`m away for 2wks 1-15 sept, i will ask at my consultation, i really dont want to be on pre op diet on holiday. Thanks Top Kat but i will struggle drinking all that milk here let alone if i was in Tunisia doing it, I dont like milk. It will be a hold your nose job lol
karen x

Go armed with a list, even if you think they are daft questions. I'm sure they will be happy to answer anything.

Lol it's a habit I can't get out of! I always type "wee" lol

I'm a Weegie too, about to move back through from Edinburgh.

Good luck with your appointment

xxx
I have written a few things down, but yes the do sound silly.
We are from the east end.. where you moving too Sashie?
karen x

I have written a few things down, but yes the do sound silly.
We are from the east end.. where you moving too Sashie?
karen x

Moving back to Kilmacolm, west of Glasgow. My parents have just moved from there to Bearsden but I miss it so I am moving back. My family have a deli in the East-End....I don't know if you know Shettleston? xx

yes i know shettleston, i used to live in baillieston hun 2 mins down the road, what a wee world we live in huh x

I hope my avatar wont offend any1.. is this ok or should i remove it? lol x

Lol small, small world! xx

Sashie
I hope i dont offend, but what happened with the band that you have gone on to have a bypass?
x

Loooooonnnnnng story!

Here goes:

I've had band, to sleeve and now to bypass (of sorts!). The band was put in 2007 privately (in the Fern Britton scandal days!) and I had no aftercare whatsoever. It was never right from the start, I was being sick constantly,I ended up having fills twice a month at £100 a go for 5 years, I never had a "sweet spot", protein never stayed down but the bad stuff did. I lost 8 stone in 3 years before having it completely loosened to go for a surgical procedure. The weight piled back on but I was still being sick. I ended up a stone heavier than I was pre-band after breaking my ankle and being off my feet for 12 weeks. I went to a different private hospital in Edinburgh for a second opinion because I knew something was wrong if I was still being sick when my band had been completely emptied and they found my band had slipped badly, my port had flipped and I had stomach damage. They suggested either taking it out altogether or revising it to a sleeve. I knew if they removed it I would be double the size because my brain has never been fixed! So I opted for the sleeve as the bypass freaked me out too much. Unfortunately, the band had been so tight and had slipped so severley, it had cut through my stomach and caused terrible ring of scar tissue, an imprint of the band around my stomach. It was difficult for food to pass through this scar tissue so I was being sick alot again. My bariatric team offered to do a sleeve re-shape/bypass type surgery in it's place to allow food to pass through. I am 2 weeks post-op but I am so glad I have done it. I should have just gone band-bypass and not bothered with the sleeve, but the sleeve has got me used to eating much smaller portions and eating much slower. I lost just over 7 stone with the sleeve since September 2012 and I have 1 stone to go to my target. I know the band works for many people and as I have said before, I wish it had worked for me and I am one of the few it didn't work for. There are so many banders on here who I admire so much for their losses with the band. They are all amazing. I just wish I hadn't bothered with it financially and mentally! Of course, I maybe should have gone back to my band surgeon, but I had to beg the guy 3 times to consider me for the band. He warned me of problems, slippages and scarring but I ignored it so it was my own fault really.
I'm just so glad I am on the right track now and with my amazing bariatric team, there is no chance of going back to 19 stone for me!

xx

Last edited:
Aww Sashie hun you have been through the mill, even with all them problems you managed to keep going. I would of been begging to have it removed long ago. Your very brave having more surgery and you have done marvellous hen :p lol
I hope i have success with the band, i know its not a quick fix and i have to make wise choices. Hopefully i will be happy in a few mnths time too x

Back