• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hopeful

Miss_Emtastic

Hi all, I have nearly finished my first week on the milk diet and got to do it for another 3 more weeks *hip hip hooray* I'm under a 6 month trial to see if I can lose weight and be referred for surgery. I've struggled with my weight since a little girl but since being diagnosed with a knee condition it has now become urgent that I lose weight for good. I've got to have a rare operation to fix my knee that dislocates but due to me being a fatty fat fat with stage 3 arthritis they won't even consider me until I lose a great amount of weight. I wanted to go back to the happy fat girl that I was but now I have no choice but to become a new and improved happy skinny girl. I know this will be a difficult journey but I really believe I can do it with a little bit of help and support. I've read some story profiles already and seen how much weight some of you have lost so feeling very hopeful that this time the weight will stay off.

*chunky fingers crossed*

Hi,

I had to do 6 months on a weight management plan before I could be referred for surgery. I managed to lose 6kg in that time an thankfully got the referral and had a sleeve done 2 weeks ago. Good luck with your journey

Hello and welcome !
Lots of luck on your new journey and I promise it will be all worth it .. Keep your head in the right direction , don't look back , there's nothing back there , only eyes forward and focus ..
it's a long journey of self discovery ahead of you and I think we would all agree we have all grown and changed along with our surgery .. me for one , I've become me again .. I now realise how unhappy I actually was being fat , pretending became second nature to me , I could have probably been nominated for an oscar on a few occasions ! But the new lease of life that weight loss grants us is amazing .. it's totally liberating .. whether is being able to walk into a main stream clothes shop and buy something off the hangars , buying zip up trousers ( not me yet lol ) , walking without getting breathless , not sticking out like a sore thumb all the time , not getting the stares of pity or disgust ..
I find I'm a lot calmer , a lot more laid back , content ...
Your journey will become your own , and you will take it where you want it to go .. and we will all be here to listen to answer any questions ..
My word of advice is not to underestimate how hard this will be .. take each hour as it comes , it's a constant hard battle between you and food , one that you have to win ..
xxxxx

Thank you for the luck I will defiantly need it. I'm finding the milk diet very hard espically in social situations which getting close to Christmas is increasing. My mum had a gastric band and my uncle had a sleeve and both lost weight. However both of them are slowly gaining it back due to there fat brain (as I like to call it). So I am determined to lose the weight and keep it off. Hoping this might show my uncle and mum that it can be done. The cravings are horrible and it feels like a constant battle in my head. My mum is still in the 'one treat won't hurt' stage which doesn't help as i get very tempted with certain smells. I was told to have 5 pints of milk a day, oxo cube, 1 litre of water and vitamins (plus jelly for a treat). Although I'm finding I can only manage 3 pints of milk? Do you recon that will be ok? Xx

Thank you for the luck I will defiantly need it. I'm finding the milk diet very hard espically in social situations which getting close to Christmas is increasing. My mum had a gastric band and my uncle had a sleeve and both lost weight. However both of them are slowly gaining it back due to there fat brain (as I like to call it). So I am determined to lose the weight and keep it off. Hoping this might show my uncle and mum that it can be done. The cravings are horrible and it feels like a constant battle in my head. My mum is still in the 'one treat won't hurt' stage which doesn't help as i get very tempted with certain smells. I was told to have 5 pints of milk a day, oxo cube, 1 litre of water and vitamins (plus jelly for a treat). Although I'm finding I can only manage 3 pints of milk? Do you recon that will be ok? Xx
Try and do 4 if you can't manage 5 - 3 is too low in calories to keep your energy up long term and 4 is what they suggest with the pre op diet itself so that'll be okay. Remember you can do milky coffees or teas and hot milk. You can add it to jelly powder too to make a desert kind of thing. Xx

Oh didn't think of that. I'll go get a glass now (yum yum) I try and keep myself distracted...so distracted that I forget to drink milk sometimes so end up in the evening with loads of things to drink. Is it me or is there loads of adverts of food? Thinking of giving up tv when I have my bad cravings. Xx

How about making jelly with the milk allowance ? Then you have something solid and food like in substance ..
I found out pretty quickly from the off set , how badly I am addicted to carbs .. This is almost every bad food you can think of .. I did a lot of reading on carb addiction after my surgeon mentioned it .. I had no idea that carbs can be as addictive as heroin .. carbs reward you for eating them , releasing an intense reward in your brain , serotonin , and when the high wears off you crave it's reward again , so reaching for foods that are high in carbs .. or in my case just keeping myself topped up all the time ..
I choose now not to eat carbs or at least very very low amounts..
I'm trying to explain in a long winded way , that your whole eating life has to change , to work alongside your operation .. it won't cure your head , it won't stop you from eating the junk your brain will be screaming out for .. this addiction will sneak up on you at the most unexpected times , so you need to learn your own triggers and deal with them ..
Dig deep and find a strength you never knew you had and it will work ..
Xxxxx

How about making jelly with the milk allowance ? Then you have something solid and food like in substance ..
I found out pretty quickly from the off set , how badly I am addicted to carbs .. This is almost every bad food you can think of .. I did a lot of reading on carb addiction after my surgeon mentioned it .. I had no idea that carbs can be as addictive as heroin .. carbs reward you for eating them , releasing an intense reward in your brain , serotonin , and when the high wears off you crave it's reward again , so reaching for foods that are high in carbs .. or in my case just keeping myself topped up all the time ..
I choose now not to eat carbs or at least very very low amounts..
I'm trying to explain in a long winded way , that your whole eating life has to change , to work alongside your operation .. it won't cure your head , it won't stop you from eating the junk your brain will be screaming out for .. this addiction will sneak up on you at the most unexpected times , so you need to learn your own triggers and deal with them ..
Dig deep and find a strength you never knew you had and it will work ..
Xxxxx

I will have to give milk with jelly a try (sounds like a weird combination). Wow I didn't know that either. I'm a big carbs fan. I'm noticing it's mostly carbs that I am craving except KFC. I have a big KFC addiction, when I was at depressed/heaviest I was eating it everyday. It felt like that was the only thing making me happy. I've just weighed myself as it's been a week and I've lost 1 stone and 4 pounds. How much are you meant to lose on this diet? As my mind keeps thinking it ain't gonna come off that quick no more. I've struggled a lot today thinking what's the point as it's just going to go back on like it always has. But then I thought I wouldn't be able to do a week of this diet. So I'm kinda already proving to myself that I can do it and I just need to remain strong and hopeful. I never talked about my weight with anyone before and used to get defensive about it. I've been told to keep it a secret from certain family members/friends. However since joining this group I've now told my boyfriend about my weight and he's very supportive of me reaching my aim. I think I made a good step in the right direction. Xx

That's an awesome result on the weight loss ! Well done !

Welcome to a great forum and very well one on your fantastic weight loss, can I ask which hospital your with, I'm at Luton and Dunstable and I had to do 4 weeks on milk diet which ended on 12th October, I too had to have 2 OXO/bovril and 4 pints of milk, vitamins plus a jelly, I lost a total of 8kg, I personally found the jelly tasted much fruitier (raspberry is my fav) if I made it with 7 fluid ounces of water and 13 fluid ounces of milk but advise you try both ways to see what suits you, I also absolutely loved chicken OXO cubes in hot milk, when I first read about it I thought it sounded disgusting but had to try it and I'm so pleased I did as it tasted like cream of chicken soup, you have nothing to lose by trying it, I divided what was left of my milk allowance and drank it regularly throughout the day with NAS crusha, I used to set my phone alarm to remind me to drink it. The aim of the milk diet at such an early stage of our journey is threefold, it proves commitment, shows we can cope with a high protein diet and finally it helps us to lose 5% of our body weight (I lost 7%) which in the case of L and D you have to lose to be able to continue with the referral and assessment. everyone is different some find it a challenge others don't, I found it easier as I didn't have to make food choices. Your doing incredibly well, it is a long journey and it's definitely not the easy option but just reading the incredibly posts on this forum keep me focussed (well most of the time ) keep focused on the end result and touch base with us all on a regular basis and you won't go far wrong as it's brimming with inspiration. Let me know if you try the chicken oxo in milk as I'm intrigued to know if anyone else finds it as scrumpy as me XxX

Thanks everyone. It's got me a little bit excited to see how much I will lose in 3 weeks. I am worried about gaining it all back though on Christmas Day (I love roast dinners!) I go to Luton and Dunstable too. I might have to set my alarm on my phone as i keep forgetting to drink milk. I'll defiantly give the oxo cube with milk a try tonight. I love the chicken oxo cube as it is so hoping it improves the taste even more. Still haven't tried milk with jelly yet (kinda been lazy and brought the ready made jelly for convenience when out) I'm kinda enjoying the milk diet (except the cravings) my partner is looking forward to when I make dinner again though as he's currently living off sandwiches/easy meals xx

Thanks everyone. It's got me a little bit excited to see how much I will lose in 3 weeks. I am worried about gaining it all back though on Christmas Day (I love roast dinners!) I go to Luton and Dunstable too. I might have to set my alarm on my phone as i keep forgetting to drink milk. I'll defiantly give the oxo cube with milk a try tonight. I love the chicken oxo cube as it is so hoping it improves the taste even more. Still haven't tried milk with jelly yet (kinda been lazy and brought the ready made jelly for convenience when out) I'm kinda enjoying the milk diet (except the cravings) my partner is looking forward to when I make dinner again though as he's currently living off sandwiches/easy meals xx
Don't waste all your hard work, and the risk of delaying surgery because of a roast dinner! Stick your portions on a tea plate. Good time too to encourage you partner to learn to cook, and to look at healthy options together for when you are cooking again...

I will have to give milk with jelly a try (sounds like a weird combination). Wow I didn't know that either. I'm a big carbs fan. I'm noticing it's mostly carbs that I am craving except KFC. I have a big KFC addiction, when I was at depressed/heaviest I was eating it everyday. It felt like that was the only thing making me happy. I've just weighed myself as it's been a week and I've lost 1 stone and 4 pounds. How much are you meant to lose on this diet? As my mind keeps thinking it ain't gonna come off that quick no more. I've struggled a lot today thinking what's the point as it's just going to go back on like it always has. But then I thought I wouldn't be able to do a week of this diet. So I'm kinda already proving to myself that I can do it and I just need to remain strong and hopeful. I never talked about my weight with anyone before and used to get defensive about it. I've been told to keep it a secret from certain family members/friends. However since joining this group I've now told my boyfriend about my weight and he's very supportive of me reaching my aim. I think I made a good step in the right direction. Xx
So much of this is to do with the head. Are you having any psychological support to do this? I used to never be able to talk about my weight, not even with a counsellor but I did, it was then I I found it easier to cope with making changes. You will lose a fair bit in first week due to fluid loss as your liver is getting rid of toxins. You get given the milk diet (or a high protein one) for your pre-op liver reducing diet (LRD) and it will slow down a bit. I lost 13lb in two weeks.

So much of this is to do with the head. Are you having any psychological support to do this? I used to never be able to talk about my weight, not even with a counsellor but I did, it was then I I found it easier to cope with making changes. You will lose a fair bit in first week due to fluid loss as your liver is getting rid of toxins. You get given the milk diet (or a high protein one) for your pre-op liver reducing diet (LRD) and it will slow down a bit. I lost 13lb in two weeks.
Yeah I have my appointment on Monday. Kinda nervous about it. Like most people my cravings are very much linked to my emotions so it would be good to control it. Xx

Is that psychology appointment ? Is it arrange by L and D ? Sorry to ask questions is just that I haven't been offfered that at all

Is that psychology appointment ? Is it arrange by L and D ? Sorry to ask questions is just that I haven't been offfered that at all
Yeah it is. On my first appointment they arranged it with me. I got an appointment letter through for February but when I went back to start on my milk diet they gave me a new appointment (they opened a new clinic) . Xx

Yeah it is. On my first appointment they arranged it with me. I got an appointment letter through for February but when I went back to start on my milk diet they gave me a new appointment (they opened a new clinic) . Xx
Oh interesting, be good to hear how you get on x

Hi all, I have nearly finished my first week on the milk diet and got to do it for another 3 more weeks *hip hip hooray* I'm under a 6 month trial to see if I can lose weight and be referred for surgery. I've struggled with my weight since a little girl but since being diagnosed with a knee condition it has now become urgent that I lose weight for good. I've got to have a rare operation to fix my knee that dislocates but due to me being a fatty fat fat with stage 3 arthritis they won't even consider me until I lose a great amount of weight. I wanted to go back to the happy fat girl that I was but now I have no choice but to become a new and improved happy skinny girl. I know this will be a difficult journey but I really believe I can do it with a little bit of help and support. I've read some story profiles already and seen how much weight some of you have lost so feeling very hopeful that this time the weight will stay off.

*chunky fingers crossed*

Back