• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello from sunny Gosport

paulH

you may need to a cup of tea/coffee as it is bit of a long story but bare with me.

I had big bombshell drop by my consultant this morning at Hospital this morning.

About 7 weeks Ago I was riding to work on my moped when a driver pulled out in front of me causing a T-bone collision where I broke/fractured the T-8 vertebrae in my back, multiple rib fractures and a very battered and swollen knee I spent 3 weeks in hospital and I am still under hospital care at home.

I started back trying to do normal daily tasks and walking 2 weeks ago but due to the injury in the knee I could not walk very far or well so the nurse booked me an appointment to see the consultant about the knee.

Anyway fast forward to today I kept my appointment with the consultant and after a long chat about my past history and the fact that I have also osteoarthritis in the right knee. I was told that I will need have to have my knee replaced as my cartilage has totally disintegrated and due to the accident I now have bone on bone in the knee joint, which cannot be operated on due high risk of infection but in order to have a knee replacement I have to lose a lot weight approx 14st.

so the doctor has referred me for weight loss tier 3 management program then the weight-loss surgery before they will do the knee replacement.

this is going to make work very happy not! as i will had at least 12 weeks off for the back fracture. But on the bright side its nice and sunny.

Oh wow, sorry to hear about all your misfortune but great about the WLS referral and then a new knee :) good luck

Life can chuck some lemons at you eh!
Hello and welcome!
Sorry to read of your accident and glad to see your on the road to recovery, I busted my knee ( work injury) had surgery and now 6 years later no walking stick and approx 14 stone lighter
You can do this
I wish you great luck in your recovery

Hi there
Thanks for the lovely comments, Yes life did send me a curve ball but at least there is a silver lining. After so many obstacles put in my way by Penny pinching Gp's i had learnt to cope with the pain for the last 14 years.

so this time i have no excuses and failure is not an option as they say , at least i have very big carrot to keep me on track.

I shall be going back to slimming world tonight as i have not been for 6 months as i need new beginning on this long journey quest to be pain free.

Stick with it I hope that they refer you to Spire as it will be a quicker route. Good luck X

Hi Paul
How are you getting on ?

update after Gp visit

Hi all
I am now officially on my WL surgery journey: :eek:
i had a very nice chat with my GP this morning to get the ball rolling he has still not had letter from knee consultant?? but has my official hospital release notes from other consultant and it was mentioned in there.

Next appointment is now with practice nurse to get all the necessary test and info collected for the referral
paul

Hi countrywench, beepbeepcat

thanks for replies i am getting better just waiting from back consultant for the next step.

i am glad for the chat as i am getting board, but because of the back brace i cannot do much or travel only to hospital for appointments.

contacted work this morning with the news and told them i will not be back until mid May at the earliest and along with the weight-loss surgery. it is all very quiet on the work front if there is going to be a problem i am fully covered and have a good solicitor working for me.
paul

Chin up and keep in touch on here plenty of people to chat to.

Back