• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hoping for the bypass

Blossom84

Hi all,

I thought I would post in here to get specific answers on the bypass as I think that's the procedure I would like to go for (1st hospital appointment Feb 16).

I am 30 years old; 5'9 and 25 stone with a BMI of 50. I have an incredibly sweet tooth and that has been my downfall for as long as I can remember. Im terrified that I won't have the willpower to not gorge on thing as I have in the past. I am also scared of how honest I should be when I meet the bariatrics team in case something I say jeopardises my chances :(

How are those of you with a particular craving for no no foods managing that?
Also, I have postponed baby #2 because I am concerned about the health and
physicality of gaining more weight given my journey to/from work in London and wanting to have more energy for another child... how soon after the op is pregnancy recommended? Given that the weight seems to drop quite steadily initially will I have to weight until it stablises to conceive?

What's the recovery time generally for the bypass? And how long would I need off work? (I work with 18-21 year olds leaving care so can be a lot of walking).

The worst aspect of this procedure seems to be the possible dumping syndrome... what else is common?

Hey Blossom

I had a mini-bypass myself.

My advice is be 100% honest with your bariatric team. They aren't there to judge you but to help you - if you aren't honest and conceal information, they can't do their best for you. Nobody gets to 25 stone eating broccoli all day long so they obviously know you have a poor relationship with food - after all, that's the very reason you're there and they're going to help you so honesty is the key.

Food cravings. Well before the bypass my cravings would be for really nice bread with my favourite being Sourdough. Since my bypass I don't have any cravings for anything - I just don't have as much interest in food full stop.

Questions about conception is another one to talk to your bariatric team about; only they can advise you on the best course there.

Recovery time changes from person to person; none of us are the same. They'll take into account the physicality of your job when signing you off work so, again, just be honest and clear about what your work involves. For my journey, I felt a bit tender for the first week (not pain as such, just bloated and sore) and was fine to work by the end of the second week, but I have a desk job. All the tenderness from the wounds had gone totally after a month and I'm now 7 weeks post-op and physically feel completely back to normal.

Best of luck to you :)

Firstly good for you for starting the process, its a big step and it is not an easy option like a lots of people think.

I'm also a mini bypassers, 17 weeks post op and couldn't be happier with the decision to have the operation.

I agree totally with Sundown, full disclosure with the bariatric team is essential, they really don't judge and only want to help.
My issues were portion control as well as a bit of a sweet tooth, I originally had a sleeve in mind but it was only by talking honestly with the doctors, nurses and dieticians during the consultation process that they advised a bypass was the better option and I was happy to follow the experts advice.

Like Sundown says your appetite vanishes (at least for me it has, so far) and craving are only in your head which is another battle the bariatric team can help you fight. As I said I had a sweet tooth and I have only just tried my first sugary cake this week, as a bit of an experiment. It was ok but I could happily have not bothered and don't plan to make it a regular treat.

Cant give you any insight on the conception subject, that way out of my wheelhouse.

On recovery, I was off work for 4 weeks after the operation but was out walking every day and probably could have went back earlier but my manager was happy I took the full month, after my 6 weeks follow up with the surgeon I have been in the gym 3 times a week. Oh and I had no pain at all after the recovery room, just a bit of discomfort with the wind for the first couple of days.

I love my bypass, but I am not trying to convince you its the best option for you that's why you need to talk to the experts. There are success's on here with bands, sleeves, RNY or MGB and whatever route you choose best of luck.

I had a normal gastric bypass.

I think you should be as honest with your team as possible there are there to help you.

Be prepared for a long tough journey (if its nhs route).

I had a sweet tooth. I still do. The cravings for sweet foods didnt go away anywhere.. In fact i think they are even stronger than ever. It might be due to the fact that i dont let myself have the sweets when i want them (as that would be 24/7). I do not suffer from dumping aswell so its just me who has to make sure i make the right choice and have nutritious food (protein specially) rather than sweeties or just fruit.. I joke that if i didnt need to think about nutrition i would live on sweets, nuts and fruit! ;) (but its true!)

Once you get the funding its just the begining really. I have never realised how tough it will be on my head!

Body dismorphia... Accepting your new body., plus loose skin.. not recognising yourself in the mirror.. Feeling too exposed without all the fat padding.. And constant thinking about regain.. Also constant thinking about nutrition and making sure you are taking enough protein and other nutriens in as its so easy just to snack on crap and ignore normal food. Sometimes it feels like you have to organize your life around your post bariatric surgery rules! Like not drinking and eating, but making sure you drink and eat enough.. Plus making sure you take all your supplements every day. (Not just once in a blue moon). Also constant comparing yourself with others.. Also thoughts about overeating and if you anything like me without a very strong physical restriction sensation.. You end up worrying that you are overeating.. Stretching.. Ruining your pouch and so on..

Plus i personally suffer with fatigue and dizzy spells,,

Also you have to consider the option that maybe you will not loose as much as you expect from reading other stories. Everyone is so different.

And thats just a little bit of whats going on in my head everyday. So dont underestimate all this head stuff! And i am a patient without any complications so far.. Who has lost 100% of excess weight (according to bmi)..And dont even need to deal with dumping..

You have to be very realistic and very open to all the tough bits that the life post surgery could bring (even the horrible complications they tell you even if they are rare).

But saying all that! I am so thankful for my bypass! The benefits in health and just simple ability to move without all that excess weight! Its just amazing when you think! It really outweights the tough things that i am going through atm. And i am optimistic i will accept and cope better in the future ;)

Btw i am 15months post op.

Hello Blossom
I also agree with the others tell them everything they are there to help not to judge I also think that if you tell them half the facts then they can only offer you half the support and possible leading to not the best outcome for everyone .
I took 8 weeks off work as strongly advised by both the surgeon and my gp so who am I to disagree with them!
re baby making talk to your team but I know there are a couple of women on here who fell pregnant soon after WLS around 10 months to a year post WLS
good luck with everything keep us all in the loop

My team recommends to wait at least 18 months post op before trying to have a baby.

Hey Blossom :)
Im 30 too and just has my first appointment in november. I was honest with them and the woman i had my appointment with was very kind, supportive and understanding. I didnt feel judged at all and she managed to put me at ease. I have to be in the weight loss program for 6 months before they can refer me for surgery and have to have a few different appointments in between (i think). They asked me to try and lose between 5-10% of my body weight before the end of the 6 months. I have my next appointment from them in april.
Im swaying towards a gastric bypass too because i have a close friend that had one last year and shes had really great success with hers. Also, the risk of dumping seems more appealing to me because hopefully not wanting to do that will keep me on the straight and narrow. i know that sounds a bit odd, but i figure if i can still eat all the bad things i might still eat all the bad things lol.
My friend was told by her surgeon that its best to wait at least 12 months before trying for a baby but can be safe after around 8. i suppose it depends on each persons general health and how things are going for them. Good luck with your appointment. You will have to keep me updated because it seems like we'll be going through the same things at around the same time. We could be WLS buddies! lol
Where are you from? Are you trying to have your surgery on the NHS?

Thank you for the responses.
Yes I definitely realise the importance of being 100% honest to get the full support required. My concern is that damn sweet tooth and willpower!!

Yes I am going down the NHS route and understand it won't be a quick process by any means but I'm trying to get my head around the order in which things are done with regards to referral and funding agreed... it was the dietician that my GP referred me to who has now referred me to the Lewisham Hospital Bariatric Team. My first appointment is in Feb but I don't know if this is to consider my 'eligibility' for surgery or just a step up on the tier 3 weight management?

I spoke to one of the surgeons who happened to be the one to pick up my voicemail requesting further information - however she made it sound so straight forward that it sounded a little easy in comparison to what I've read so far about the NHS process. Basically that I could be up for surgery within 6-8 months if met the requirements - which from the information she had from my dietician I did. At what point is the request for funding made?

I had a normal gastric bypass.

I think you should be as honest with your team as possible there are there to help you.

Be prepared for a long tough journey (if its nhs route).

I had a sweet tooth. I still do. The cravings for sweet foods didnt go away anywhere.. In fact i think they are even stronger than ever. It might be due to the fact that i dont let myself have the sweets when i want them (as that would be 24/7). I do not suffer from dumping aswell so its just me who has to make sure i make the right choice and have nutritious food (protein specially) rather than sweeties or just fruit.. I joke that if i didnt need to think about nutrition i would live on sweets, nuts and fruit! ;) (but its true!)

Once you get the funding its just the begining really. I have never realised how tough it will be on my head!

Body dismorphia... Accepting your new body., plus loose skin.. not recognising yourself in the mirror.. Feeling too exposed without all the fat padding.. And constant thinking about regain.. Also constant thinking about nutrition and making sure you are taking enough protein and other nutriens in as its so easy just to snack on crap and ignore normal food. Sometimes it feels like you have to organize your life around your post bariatric surgery rules! Like not drinking and eating, but making sure you drink and eat enough.. Plus making sure you take all your supplements every day. (Not just once in a blue moon). Also constant comparing yourself with others.. Also thoughts about overeating and if you anything like me without a very strong physical restriction sensation.. You end up worrying that you are overeating.. Stretching.. Ruining your pouch and so on..

Plus i personally suffer with fatigue and dizzy spells,,

Also you have to consider the option that maybe you will not loose as much as you expect from reading other stories. Everyone is so different.

And thats just a little bit of whats going on in my head everyday. So dont underestimate all this head stuff! And i am a patient without any complications so far.. Who has lost 100% of excess weight (according to bmi)..And dont even need to deal with dumping..

You have to be very realistic and very open to all the tough bits that the life post surgery could bring (even the horrible complications they tell you even if they are rare).

But saying all that! I am so thankful for my bypass! The benefits in health and just simple ability to move without all that excess weight! Its just amazing when you think! It really outweights the tough things that i am going through atm. And i am optimistic i will accept and cope better in the future ;)

Btw i am 15months post op.

You've given me some good points to think about - thank you!

Im 30 too and just has my first appointment in november. I was honest with them and the woman i had my appointment with was very kind, supportive and understanding. I didnt feel judged at all and she managed to put me at ease. I have to be in the weight loss program for 6 months before they can refer me for surgery and have to have a few different appointments in between (i think). They asked me to try and lose between 5-10% of my body weight before the end of the 6 months. I have my next appointment from them in april.
Im swaying towards a gastric bypass too because i have a close friend that had one last year and shes had really great success with hers. Also, the risk of dumping seems more appealing to me because hopefully not wanting to do that will keep me on the straight and narrow. i know that sounds a bit odd, but i figure if i can still eat all the bad things i might still eat all the bad things lol.
My friend was told by her surgeon that its best to wait at least 12 months before trying for a baby but can be safe after around 8. i suppose it depends on each persons general health and how things are going for them. Good luck with your appointment. You will have to keep me updated because it seems like we'll be going through the same things at around the same time. We could be WLS buddies! lol
Where are you from? Are you trying to have your surgery on the NHS?

Definitely! Would be great to be in touch with someone at a similar stage!
Yes I'm going via the NHS. I've not discussed my decision with any friends as a number of people seem to know someone who didn't have a very good experience with WLS and as much as I know it won't be a miraculous cure for everything - I don't want any unnecessary negative input.

Hiya, I had the bypass just over three weeks ago. I work with 2-5 year olds at a preschool and its an extremely demanding job mentally and physically. I told very few people I was having the operation however I told my boss and I went back after two weeks. I thought I would rake it slowly however I lift tables, room dividers in fact I do nearly everything I used to unloading two sheds full of preschool equipment four times a week. I feel fine not in any pain, I don't lift the children up as I felt it would be too much however I feel good. Bruises are slowly getting better and scares are healing. I would just recommend not putting too much on your plate afterwards three tablespoons of food is more than enough and if you are trying something after your bypass for the first time make sure your at home or have good access to the loo just incase. Don't get too high sugar foods. I have no cravings...no hunger and no interest in food.

The pregnancy thing, I've read it's 'ok' to try to conceive from 12 months, some places recommend waiting until 24 months post op. It gives your body time to lose the weight and adjust to the lack of nutrients absorbed in the body.
Speaking from experience it's bloody hard work. I fell pregnant after just 6 months of having the op. And I'm 22w pregnant again (my daughter is now 10 months old) I had my op Nov 2013.
I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about the bypass and pregnancy. Apparently it's not that common lol xXx

Yeah i know exactly what you mean. I have only told a few of my close family. not because i dont want people to know.. if they ask AFTER the surgery i would tell them. But i figure its a tough choice to make anyway and you need to make it on your own and do what you think is best for you instead of having the extra pressure of people trying to influence you into doing things their way.
Of course things dont always go perfectly and from reading a lot of posts on here, its a tough time. but i think everyone must have been having a tough time before to even be considering having surgery in the first place. and often, i've seen the people having the tough times still talking about how its the best thing they could have done for themselves :)

Well received my first hospital appointment but still trying to make sense of the process in my area... might give the hospital team another call because I don't want to get my hopes up that this is the first step to surgery when in fact it could just be the first step to be considered!

The way it happened for me is my doctor referred me to the weight loss team and like you, the first person i saw was my dietitian.. she told me from that date of the first appointment i was on what they call tier 3 and i had to be on tier 3 for 6 months before they can refer me for surgery. During those 6 months i have been told i will have a few different appointments with different members of the team. From what i can tell so far, you can always get the surgery but some take longer than others if you have underlying issues that they find during those 6 months.. and you might not (during the 6 months) reach the requirements to be able to have surgery.. but my dietitian said even if that happens they will just add another 6 months to the tier 3 program.

So far i've had a meeting with the dietitian, a phone call appointment with my dietitian, have been told i need to make an appointment to see if i have sleep apnoea, another phone call appointment booked with my dietitian and an appointment with an endocrinologist. My dietitian told me that at that appointment they basically give you a medical.. make sure theres nothing that adds to your weight problem like an overactive thyroid and things like that.. and that they will do some blood work. That appointment for me will be the 5 month mark.. so my dietitian said i should be seeing her again around that time to discuss moving forward.

Sorry for the rant! I hope that helps a little. Im always so nervous about whats coming next.. but so far its been fine. nothing too scary once i know its over lol

Hey Victoria.
According to the dietician I'm seeing now I'm on tier 3 and it will be 6 months next month by the time I see the hospital team so sounds hopeful. Just a few weeks now!

Thats great news!! I was trying to work my timeline out the other day and i dunno if they count a month as every 4 weeks or like the the same day every month from my first appointment. My first appointment was november 3rd so if its every 4 weeks i think that should be aroundmid april for me... i do have an appointment on april 18th so maybe that will be my last one in tier 3? im not sure.. i will just have to wait and see how things go i guess!!
How are you feeling about everything? are you excited?

Good question! In my mind it's calendar months...

You know it's interesting... I'm beginning to think about how much I'll miss the foods I enjoy so much!! Being so restricted growing up, once I was living independently and doing my own food shop I just made a point of buying and enjoying whatever I wanted. Obviously that all needs to be addressed alongside the surgery but it's made me realise how important food is to me and a big part of my social life.

I'm nervous and need to have a think about the questions to ask. I'm still trying to make sense of the sleeve vs bypass. I assumed before researching that the bypass was the removal of part of your stomach... and this procedure makes sense to me. The bypass seems to be more suitable for those like me with a higher bmi so still got to get my head around both procedures and which could yield the best results for me.

I am more nervous as the time approaches! I'm also really worried about being rejected because things have gone along more smoothly this time around!

Last edited:
Yeah im nervous too. Right after my first appointment i actually started eating more rather than less. It was weird, like i wanted a bit of everything before i couldnt have it anymore. I was relieved when i told my dietitian and she said a lot of people shes worked with have done exactly the same thing.

Usually when my family get together for any kind of special occasion it always involves alcohol and food. I wonder how im gonna cope in those situations but then i wonder if it will be the same anyways? I feel comfortable staying at home because going out makes me really self conscious and then being so overweight you always have the drama of finding something to wear to go out which for me is never enjoyable. I just get depressed looking at everything i cant fit into. But if i am slimmer, maybe i would want to go out for special occasions rather than staying home eating and drinking.

Its going to change our whole lives, forever. Theres literally no going back. What gives me peace of mind is that things cant be worse. Im unhappy now.. if you feel unhappy too, at least this decision gives us both the chance to be happy :) some HOPE! which is what i need.

I've chosen the bypass for a few reasons.. one of many is time. I heard that a bypass can be much faster with results than the others and faster for me when it comes to weight loss is better. I spent so much time not living my life im in a rush to start living it :)

So since my initial post I've met the Bariatric nurse, surgeon and dietician and was apparently discussed last week their mdt!! I then received a letter inviting me to see the team again in June so I hope I can get some sort of update on where I'm at.

I'm still unsure about which procedure to go for however the surgeon was suggesting the sleeve... Thinking about the practicalities of the the bypass post op I think I'm coming round to getting the sleeve. I found out i was low in vitamin D and I've already forgotten to take just one tablet a week smh! So imagine all the things I'd have to keep up with post op. So might need to switch to the sleeve section lol.

One thing that has been very annoying is that my weight has increased since the referral :confused:??? Only a couple of pounds here and there but still!! I'm alot more active than I was this time last year - no idea what that's about.

Victoria how have you been doing? I can't believe how time is flying... I posted this in Jan!!

Back