• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Horse riding after bypass...

Hi again everyone! Just a few questions...

Was just wondering how long anybody waited after op to start riding again! I have my own horse (a very big, weight carrying girl) but wondered how long roughly I would have to wait after the op before I can ride again!

Also, for any riders, did you find that riding helped tone you up after weight loss and how well???

And...last question! lol Because I have been horseriding for the best part of the past 15yrs I have very muscley (sp?) calves and bum, mostly muscle rather than fat and I am TERRIFIED they won't get any smaller and my mum doesnt seem to think they will! Anybody care to reassure me?! lol

Just wanted to say lucky, lucky you! I used to have a horse, long to be able to ride again without my heavy weight to hurl around! Sorry cant help. Jo x

Hi there,

I had a band so couldnt say about how soon to ride again as I rode again after a couple of weeks, but totally different op so not sure. I would say it would depend on how you feel though really. I only went for a plod round on my first ride but then struggled to get off as I did not want to jump off or to rub my tummy against horse so had to park him near some steps. Good job he is a good boy. I had not thought of getting off before I set off so was probably too soon.

Riding definately helps to tone you up. I lost a lot of weight in the past and used to ride every day and I had quite a nice figure really. I do think riders have strong legs and it is difficult to loose this but when I last lost weight I did loose some of my calf muscle and bum muscle. You will have buns of steal! Cant really say for loosing weight as quickly as you will but I think excersice of any kind can only help. Your horse is going to love it as well, she wont even know you are there.

What sort of horse do you have. I dont have my own anymore, my daughters have a 14.3 cob, he is lovely but rather teenage at the moment. Got him as a baby and he was angelic but he has just started to challenge us. He will be great though, just trying to be patient with him. Bless. He is only 5.

Leesh x

I started riding gently 6 weeks post op... I have 2 of my own now, my main thing was making sure I had enough energy to last a hack or a lesson. Take healthy nibbles you don't want to start feeling shaky

My thighs and bum has shrunk surprisingly well I have always had big thighs from riding...

Leesh said:
Hi there,

I had a band so couldnt say about how soon to ride again as I rode again after a couple of weeks, but totally different op so not sure. I would say it would depend on how you feel though really. I only went for a plod round on my first ride but then struggled to get off as I did not want to jump off or to rub my tummy against horse so had to park him near some steps. Good job he is a good boy. I had not thought of getting off before I set off so was probably too soon.

Riding definately helps to tone you up. I lost a lot of weight in the past and used to ride every day and I had quite a nice figure really. I do think riders have strong legs and it is difficult to loose this but when I last lost weight I did loose some of my calf muscle and bum muscle. You will have buns of steal! Cant really say for loosing weight as quickly as you will but I think excersice of any kind can only help. Your horse is going to love it as well, she wont even know you are there.

What sort of horse do you have. I dont have my own anymore, my daughters have a 14.3 cob, he is lovely but rather teenage at the moment. Got him as a baby and he was angelic but he has just started to challenge us. He will be great though, just trying to be patient with him. Bless. He is only 5.

Leesh x

Hi Leesh x
I do the whole 'dismounting' onto steps, fence, wall etc thing anyways lol got bad knee so if I jump down it tends to jar! I have 15.3hh shire x welshie! Big girl!
fingers crossed I do lose some of the muscle. My butt already solid, any more and I'd be eating coal and ****ing diamonds! Lmao

Scarlet said:
I started riding gently 6 weeks post op... I have 2 of my own now, my main thing was making sure I had enough energy to last a hack or a lesson. Take healthy nibbles you don't want to start feeling shaky

My thighs and bum has shrunk surprisingly well I have always had big thighs from riding...

thanks for the tip Scarlet!

Ladylite would also be a good source of reference x

phatmomma said:

Where is ladylite? Haven't seen any posts from her for ages!

phatmomma said:

Thanks hun xx

Back