• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hot drinks/ smoking post surgery

IMac

I'm due to have WLS next week and I'm currently on slimfast /pre-op diet however I am aware that I'm drinking about 3 litres of water PLUS 6 mugs of black coffee (at least) plus a cup of tea in the morning. I also smoke - not too many but a packet a week.
Ok my pre-op appt is 3 days before surgery meanwhile I'm assuming I have to stop both
What happens to no caffiene and no cigs or do I just become even more miserable ???

Has anyone else been there and what happens ?

Paula Garner

No need to give up your hot drinks, but you definitely need to give up smoking. My surgeon won't operate on smokers and in the referral in my area, you have to be a non smoker.

los in it

I afree with paula, give up the smoking but hit drinks should be ok the first thing you get once your back on the ward us a cuppa! Then kater a small bowl if soup
good luck

Butterfly_lady

I drank tea all thru my 13 day pre-op, as for cigs I'd say give those up asap if you can :)

Crystalrainbow

I echo all above the smoking has to go and like many others my surgeon wouldn't put me in the list until i had given up..... hes reasoning was 'why give you a life saving op when your going to kill yourself with the fags' I don't do coffee, but am certainly thats allowed LOL so not totally miserable hunni LOL bless you :) once the fags have gone, and the weights dropping you wont look back promise..... i'm smoke free for over a year now x x x

IMac

I guess I knew it about cigs but since I only smoke outside of the house - and I'm not known as a smoker they have to go but as for coffee.....everything I read seemed to suggest decaf after a few months but you're all saying thats not the case
Yay...at least I can keep one vice :)

Kar8858

I was told no coffee due to acid..i dont like it anyway..since the op ive lost all interest in tea which i use to drink about 6 mugs a day. I can drink it now but only about 100ml then i lose interest in it.

jan52

I was told no coffee also I think because of acid reflux... Also if you carnt take it after surgery you will get a serious withdrawal headache so probs best to cut down prior or go to decaf!.... I stopped smoking several years ago but do use an electronic vape which my surgeon was okay with. If your really struggling to stop try one of those or have a nicotine patch at the ready incase. Sudden withdrawal of either can make you feel pretty shitty..... All the best! :)

Jamast

All the research I did pre-op stongly suggested giving up caffeine alltogether (I had the bypass). Apparently caffeine is a major contributor to stomach ulcers and because post op, we're left with a small pouch, it's not worth risking it to ulcers.

Yvessa

Ooh, I never heard that. I would suggest that you go on the advice of the surgeon - and if you're getting acid reflux, then lay off the caffiene. I personally have had no issues and know many postops whose go to fluid is coffee. The only thing I will say is that due to limited stomach capacity I drink a lot more decaf and only have one caffienated drink in order to keep myself hydrated.

jlb5686

hi. I dont drink coffee(any hot drinks realy) but I stopped smoking about 6months ago and am now on medium strenght e-cigarettes. my provider is fine with that. I was never a big smoker (well I went up to 10 a day) so guess thats quite alot but the efags r realy good and the idea of a fag now is horrible. worth a try x