• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Weight Gain 4 weeks post Gastric Band Surgery

Anita75

I’m hoping that someone will be able to help with this query – which is worrying me.

Start weight: 119.9 kilos
Weight following pre-op diet: 114kls
Weight 1 week following surgery 108.02 kilos (until this morning, 108.8 kilos)

I had a G.Band 4 weeks ago (11 June 09) and have so far, lost just over 11 kilos. However, a week post surgery the weight loss stopped and although I’ve read this is normal (with some people not losing any weight during the first 6weeks); I’m just wondering if other people have experienced the same thing - a complete stop in weight loss so soon after G.Band surgery?

To make matters worse, to my horror, this morning I weighed myself and found that I was 108.8 kilos (an increase of 0.6 kilos) even thought I have not increased my food/calorie intake. The only thing I did differently was not to exercise (40mins – 5.9miles) which I have been doing everyday as I was exhausted (this is my first week back at work). Has anyone else had a slight weight increase even thought food intake has remain the same?

Typical daily diet:
Breakfast: 1 slice of toast and 1 slice of chicken
Lunch: 1 cup of food (low fat/calorie)
Dinner: 1 cup of food (low fat/calorie)
Snacks: None
Liquids: water (no liquids with calories in it)

Your help/advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

and she’s told me that a fluctuation of a pound or two is normal and that I shouldn’t worry (i.e. water retention/need to move bowels, etc). She also said that people lose weight at different rates (i.e. she’s known people to lose a lot of weight post G.Band surgery, others put on weight during this stage; but the main message was NOT to worry – that I should start to lose weight once the band has been filled). I cant wait for my band to be filled in two weeks time – the suspense is killing me!!! I wish they could do it NOW!!!

I’d still like to hear your experiences please – good or bad… I always find that talking about things with people that have gone through similar experiences really helps.

hi! i had my band done 10 weeks ago and had the same weight gain problem. i lost 20lbs pre-op then it has took me til now to loose another 14lb. i had a 4lb gain over 2 weeks and didnt loose for nearly a month. i think once you have your fill the weight will start moving again. after my first fill i lost 4lbs in a matter of days. good luck with your fill and im sure after that weight will start to move again. x

Hi

Hi anita,

Had mine done in on May 17th and still have no restriction yet. Am still loosing weight though based on the old principle of burn more than you eat.

Walking a total of 1 hour a day will keep your weight loss going as it burns 700+calories for 1 hour(for my weight anyways). Also you dont seem to be eating very much? At 4 weeks i found that i was hungry and could eat more than so i would bring in my diet tuna/salmon with low fat mayo or vinagaret etc for the salmon, was also having beans for the protein if ever i felt hungry but its really down to you how you feel about what you cant eat.

It is normal to stall before your first fill but its possible to keep it going by a little movement in the day with calorie burning and dont be so tight with your food intake. Typical day for me is:-

1)1 Actimal Drink+tablets(vitamins,garlic tablet,caster oil) at 8am
2)1 Yoghurt at 10am
3)1 meal at 1pm, Tuna/salmon from Rio mare is perfect as it fills me up nicely.
4)1 meal at 5pm, this varies but is the same since i had at week 5. Normally i try to have 300 calories at 1pm and 5pm as meal value.

If i feel hungry between i pick on a few pumpkin seeds which help stop any craves. I normally pick bloating foods at 5pm like beans etc so that i am not hungry in evening.

Drinks:Water and occasional cup of tea

For exercise 1 hour walk within a day ie walk the dog 30mins in morn then night. As long as your active your body will burn calories. At 2 months you can increase your activity, as long as your burning you'll loose fine.

One more thing, the band is not going to loose the weight for you its just a tool for portion size. You exercising and changing bad routines will make you loose weight. Anyways stick with it ok

I’m hoping that someone will be able to help with this query – which is worrying me.

Start weight: 119.9 kilos
Weight following pre-op diet: 114kls
Weight 1 week following surgery 108.02 kilos (until this morning, 108.8 kilos)

I had a G.Band 4 weeks ago (11 June 09) and have so far, lost just over 11 kilos. However, a week post surgery the weight loss stopped and although I’ve read this is normal (with some people not losing any weight during the first 6weeks); I’m just wondering if other people have experienced the same thing - a complete stop in weight loss so soon after G.Band surgery?

To make matters worse, to my horror, this morning I weighed myself and found that I was 108.8 kilos (an increase of 0.6 kilos) even thought I have not increased my food/calorie intake. The only thing I did differently was not to exercise (40mins – 5.9miles) which I have been doing everyday as I was exhausted (this is my first week back at work). Has anyone else had a slight weight increase even thought food intake has remain the same?

Typical daily diet:
Breakfast: 1 slice of toast and 1 slice of chicken
Lunch: 1 cup of food (low fat/calorie)
Dinner: 1 cup of food (low fat/calorie)
Snacks: None
Liquids: water (no liquids with calories in it)

Your help/advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Im not an expert, I only have my band 2 weeks but it doesn't seem like you are eating enough, I know we have to eat less but we cant starve ourselves either, if we dont eat enough our bodies store the food as fat therefore an increase in weight, try more protein foods and see if that helps and also increase the exercise

Kate

Last edited:
Nice Link

There is a nice link about this here: http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/69900-pouch-rules-dummies-informational-post.html

The bottom line is outlined fully there, its a good guide but just fit it into your own routine.

One other thing there is a real good site to use for giving you an idea what calories you will burn in a day for your own weight. You will see, its at Fitness Jumpsite: Calorie Calculator Just put in your weight and then it will advise you what action burns what calories, it includes things done at work/home/gym etc. If i cant get a walk done for 1 hour i always check what i can do to make up the 700 calories.

P.S your not alone in this, just stick with it and dont get unhappy or down about it. Stay positive, get your exercise in and just enjoy yourself

Hi Anita...welcome to Minis :)

I was banded just over 6 weeks ago and my weight loss has been fairly slow since then.

I think it's down to trial & error with food for me as I didn't get a chat with the dietician until I was 5 weeks post op and found out I was still having things at that point that I should have moved away from :rolleyes:
I also went for my first fill & x-ray last Wednesday and the fill couldn't be done as my port has flipped onto it's side and I'm going to have to have corrective surgery for that, so no fills until thats sorted.

it's still early days for you...hang on in there and an experienced bander will be along shortly with lots of useful advice.

Hiya,

My weight loss stalled too, I seem to have developed a pattern of staying the same for weeks on end then losing a bit then staying the same for ages again, do get a bit despondent at times but speaking to the girls on here this morning, I think my food intake is fine, its just I need to increase the exercise which I'm going to do.

Hi,

Firstly don't get dispondent. The thing is you can keep loosing weight if you change your lifestyle. I have no restriction yet am loosing weight still week in week out. Its pretty simple points to look at with regard to this.

1.Trial foods. You cant stay on liquids in the hope of loosing it till decent fill is obtained as this could be months. Try to settle into a menu which you ENJOY firstly, then secondly one that fills you up. Feeling full is how your brain works best.

2.Know how many calories you take in a day. This means you are taking more responsibility for what you put in your mouth and how much you can infact have.

3.Exercise each day. Be that cleaning the car, cleaning the house, walking the dog - do something to get out of the house, especially when your bored or starting to get those hunger but dont need food pains.

4.Sort out your issues with food. Find the reasons you eat when you dont actually need to. For me i was bored and lazy, i used to say i didnt have time for exercise and that was just an excuse, as was the following trip to the fridge for something to eat. If i get like that now i go out for a walk.

5.Lastly enjoy this process. You will make changes that are long term changes but you have to maintain them so make them easy for you to bring into a daily routine. Also remember why your doing this, its for you and your long term health, thats the way i look at this and it has stopped me many times from eating something i actually didn't need.

P.S point 2 i posted up a calculator in previous post, use it to build up ways to burn a basic amount of calories per day. Even just 700 calories of exercise per day you will loose roughly 1.5 to 2lbs a week(3500kcals to 1LB). Hope you see my point?

Last edited:
I agree that exercise is the key....I've done more walking since my op than ever before. I wanted to start swimming but am afraid to try it yet till I get my port sorted out.

William - how much have you lost since banding?

total

So far 14lbs pre op(5days) and 28Lbs post op but am getting my next band fill on 16th July so hope i get some sort of restriction then. If i dont then i will keep up what i am doing now until i do. I know once i do get a restriction that i will have to amend my diet a little but the exercise and lifestyle changes will stay.

Also swimming is ok. I swim lengths without any issue in the exercise itself. The only thing i found after was that i didnt want to eat, which i think for me was bad timing as i do the swims before eating time when i should do it 1-2hrs after eating.

Ps will update my ticker as i keep forgetting the pin..lol

Hi there,

You get weight loss stalls in all kinds of diets, its not just GBanding.

Its one of the bodies frustrating mysteries.

The only thing you might not be getting enough protein. You say in your lists food 1 cup - but what sort of things are you actually eating.

I am nearly 9 months post op and I can tell you even I get stalls.

You just have to eat right, do more and persevere.

I have good restriction and its still slow but as long as it does not go back on or I can maintain the loss I have already acheived that is ok too.

Thank you all for your replies - it is absolutly fascinating and useful to hear different perspectives/opinions and advice.

To asnwer some of your questions: I am eating protein with every meal, although, I know that my calorie intake is low - but cant imagine what would happen if I was to increase it, I'd probably be one of those people that put on weight during the first 6wks post op. I'm keeping my diet varied (i.e. mostly chicken, fish, prawn, pork, vegetables, rice, pasta, etc...). I'm lucky in the sense that all foods I've tried are going down well.

When I spoke to the bariatric nurse this morning, she kept saying how wonderful and great my diet was and that it was brilliant that I was sticking to my 'one cup of food per meal (by her reaction I'm guessing that some people dont???). In fact, I honestly thought she was going tell me off for not drinking the pint of milk (and protein shakes) I was advised to consume for 6 weeks post surgery and for not having (healthy) snacks in between meals.

I think I'm in panic mode, I'm so very afraid of failing - I dont want to be a (UK)size 20 anymore . Alghough, with my recent weighloss of 11 kilos, my size 20 clothes are baggy - which makes me so happy; and because of exercising everyday (40mins on my exercise bike) I can feel a different in my body shape. I so desperately want to be one of the 'success' stories - not one of the few people you read about every so often where the band just didn't work for them.

Also, I do feel the pressure of people around me expecting me to turn (using their own words) 'slinky' or into a 'skinny mini' in no time at all. I've spent a lot of time trying to educate them as to realistic goals/timeframes - as well as trying to manage my own expectations and fears.

Hi anita,

Had mine done in on May 17th and still have no restriction yet. Am still loosing weight though based on the old principle of burn more than you eat.

Walking a total of 1 hour a day will keep your weight loss going as it burns 700+calories for 1 hour(for my weight anyways). Also you dont seem to be eating very much? At 4 weeks i found that i was hungry and could eat more than so i would bring in my diet tuna/salmon with low fat mayo or vinagaret etc for the salmon, was also having beans for the protein if ever i felt hungry but its really down to you how you feel about what you cant eat.

It is normal to stall before your first fill but its possible to keep it going by a little movement in the day with calorie burning and dont be so tight with your food intake. Typical day for me is:-

1)1 Actimal Drink+tablets(vitamins,garlic tablet,caster oil) at 8am
2)1 Yoghurt at 10am
3)1 meal at 1pm, Tuna/salmon from Rio mare is perfect as it fills me up nicely.
4)1 meal at 5pm, this varies but is the same since i had at week 5. Normally i try to have 300 calories at 1pm and 5pm as meal value.

If i feel hungry between i pick on a few pumpkin seeds which help stop any craves. I normally pick bloating foods at 5pm like beans etc so that i am not hungry in evening.

Drinks:Water and occasional cup of tea

For exercise 1 hour walk within a day ie walk the dog 30mins in morn then night. As long as your active your body will burn calories. At 2 months you can increase your activity, as long as your burning you'll loose fine.

One more thing, the band is not going to loose the weight for you its just a tool for portion size. You exercising and changing bad routines will make you loose weight. Anyways stick with it ok
Hi William
Welcome to minimins hun . Good luck and take care .
Margaret xx

I had a weight gain of 5lbs in week 4 of op but it soon went. Don't stress over it as you'll make it a bigger deal than it is. This as far as I see is usual so you're not alone. Add a little more exercise to your daily routine, drink plenty of no cal fluids and make sure you eat enough. Little and often is the key to keep the matabolism going.

Hiya
I am nearly 1 year post op (band). I have stalled on many occasions, so can sympathise with you on this. However, I can also say to you that you HAVE to look at the long term, and not the weekly, otherwise it will do you in. I was exactly in the same boat, and believe me it was frustrating, I felt it hadnt worked for me, i was going to be a failure, the whole self doubt thing. But when I look back now, I think "oh my god, I have lost 4 stone, and have only three stone left to go". You have to stop looking at the daily, weekly up and downs, you have to look at possibly the monthly picture, and this helps to keep you moving. I know its not easy, we all pay out for this surgery, or sacrifice in some way to have it done, and no matter what we try to say to ourselves, we want results, and we want them now. We have been over weight for so long that we dont want to be overweight anymore and we want to be thinner now. I was aware that it would take about 18 months to 3 years to get to a decent weight, but that doesnt mean that I still want it sooner. I think I have come to accept now, that as long as I follow the rules and do my part, the weight will come off. Clothes that were too tight are now hanging off of me. Just try to stay focused on the end goal, and not how you get there:snoopyhouse:

MNL

Back