• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How am I gonna get through this???

Tracydut

Hi,

I am on my 4th day of milk/yogurt and feeling depressed/angry/moody/tired............... cannot face the oxo/bovril as it makes me ill. I have waited so long for this and feel like I am going to fail. I finally got my op date....4th November, feeling excited and scared, I so badly need some motivation, please can anyone out there offer me any advice.........please xxx:sigh::sigh:

Why are you on the pre-op diet if you've only just got your date?

The answer is simple. If you don't follow it, you won't get the operation. That's basically it!

18 days on the pre-op seems harsh but, unfortunately, it has to be done. Like I've said before, you'd hate to go on the operating table and wake up with nothing one because you haven't followed it.

I'd like to say it will get easier, it certainly did for me, but I'd hate for you to call me a liar!

Just dig in there. Short term loss, long term gain!

Tracy - hang on in there, first few days are the worst. Your body has to acclimatise to a new regime; in the next 24, 48 hours you will take it in your stride.

Just think what a good job you are doing at shrinking your liver and how small and healthy it will be ready for surgery.

This process is not only shrinking the liver; its helping you to face the first few weeks after surgery. Believe me the hunger WILL go and you do become used to just liquids.

I`ve been on liquids now for four weeks, including the time in for surgery; I have missed foods when they are cooked and you know they smell delicious, but hungy no!

Next week I start on soft foods; marginally better I guess, but I know its a means to an end to the fat old me.
And in 2 weeks I gradually start getting used to real food again - tho in much smaller quantities.

So hang on in there hun, first few days are definately the worse but it will soon be over before you know it.

Look forward to a new future and a new you. Your going to love clothes shopping in time and food will take a back seat.

Love and hugs x Kat x

Pre op diets do get slightly easier after 4 days our bodies go into ketosis and stop telling us we are hungry.........Its no walk in the park but it is easier and as mixxy said hun, they have been known to sew people back up or go to full open surgery if their livers are still fatty xx

Its awful I know but Like Mixy says, you need to do it. If you cheat the surgeon will know & if your liver is too big then they won't carry out the bypass.

Just think - no pain, no gain....

My body was screaming when I did my pre-op which luckily was only for 10 days.

Good luck

Sweetheart i did the food diet and only for a week and it was harsh so i know how you feel! My only advice is this, drink lots of tea and coffee (strong coffee staves off hunger for me) and also lots of fizzy diet pop so it bloats you up. Are you allowed sugar free jelly on your diet? If so you'll be amazed how a big bowl of that can help in times of trouble....

Please give yourself credit for getting for these first few days and reassure yourself you are going to have such a teeny liver and your operation will go all the easier for it my lovely....

Chin up, diet coke out and work it girl xxx You can do it, we all believe in you xxx

Oh, the horrors of the liver-shrinking diet...whichever one you do it's pretty hideous, but as Mixxy says, you've got two options: stick to it & get your op, or don't stick to it & you run the risk of waking up & finding out they couldn't do it. Sounds harsh...but some surgeons are, so you really don't want to go through that. It does get easier after the first few days, and believe me I know as I ended up staying on it for 4 weeks! It also does help you to deal with being on liquids after your op too. Some good advice given to you so far, drink loads of fluids as it helps & try to keep as busy as possible. Keep reminding yourself of all the things you hate about being the weight you are now, & picture yourself in gorgeous clothes/shoes that you can't wear now! It won't be forever & it really will be worth it in the end xxxx

Last edited:
You can do it......it horrible and cruel and miserable and all the other minging names you can call it but its got to be done.........it is do able. You have done the worst part, after the first 3-4 days it deffinately gets easier, I promise! It will be sooooooooo worth it when you wake up after the op and they say you had a lovely small liver :D XX

You tell yourself that without doing the liver reducing diet you wont get the op.......every time you feel you are going to eat just imagine waking up on the ward and them telling you they couldnt do it as your liver was too large :D It usually works, and it does get easier after a few days........honestly :D XX

Willing you on your way Tracy and it's going to be such a new world out there for you so just keep hanging onto us and sticking with it...

Sending a loving hug xxx

in addition to all the great advice you've had already: try to vary the diet even a bit.
Charis's smoothy recipe: I muller light vanilla yoghurt, 6 strawberries, halved, 1 pint skimmed or semi-skimmed milk, 6 ice cubes: whizz up in a blender, sip through a straw.
makes 2 full glasses of VERY thick McDonalds-like shake - very, very filling and scrummy.

If you're not allowed fruit, try using Crusha NAS milk -shake syrup instead.

Hope that helps. It does get better, honest. I did mine whilst away for a family wedding staying in a plush hotel and having to ignore the already paid -for big Welsh breakfasts, then eating out in pubs in the evening(well watching family eat, whilst I drank milky coffee, or veg diet cuppa soup! So if I can do it, I'm sure anyone can!

when i went for my pre op there was a lady who hadnt followed the diet and the surgeon sent her back from theatre as her liver hadnt shrunk - there was no way that was going to happen to me, i honestly thought i wouldnt get through the diet of weight watchers soups and yoghurts, but it meant too much to me not to follow it, especially as i had done it before and was admitted with pancreatitis the day before my op was due and was in hospital for 5 weeks and my surgery was postponed for 6 months, so , you can , and you will do it, because it is what you want, oh,and the pancreatitis was caused by anti depressants, a one in ten thousand side effect, story of my life...anyway 10.5 stone lighther and slimmer than 3 of my nieces, yay !!!!

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement - not going to let myself down on this one - already on day 5 now so I am sure I CAN DO IT!!!!! And as lot of you have said, it does get easier, yesterday was my lowest but after reading all of your replies I did not feel so alone. THANK YOU xxxxx

I start mine on the 1st Nov Oh how i am dreading it, what do you say to yourself to stay motivated

I tried this one ''oi fatty put the chocolate down, you want to have this op so you are healthier, thinner and downright sexy''....

No seriously just keep reminding yourself it's a necessary evil and it will soon be over and you will start shifting this weight that has been a blight to your life. Chin up girl, you can do it xx

Tracy, we have all been in the same position and it's a case of hanging on at times... hang onto us... we all hang on to each other! Love and hugs xxx

I have to start my pre op diet on 6th Nov and i have to do 5 weeks AHHHHHHHHHHHH and i know its going to be the worst five weeks ever but i just keep thinking it will be worth it, I have diabeties and i am hoping this op will make big changes to my life in the amount of medication i have to take every day

keep up the good work and you will soon be able to give good advoice to others

rich

Back