• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How did exercise help you lose the weight faster

desperate2lose

Hi
My consultant made it clear that I walk 1hr a day to maximise my loss. I am ashamed to say that I didnt follow him to the letter.

I was wondering if doing exercise in the first 6 months makes any difference to your weightloss rate? I ask myself ,for instance, would I have lost more than 58lbs since 1st March when I started my pre-op diet?

I guess what I am asking is, in your experiences how important was exercising for your wls journey? Have you lost more on the weeks you have exercised than the weeks you didnt?

Hi I think your weight loss is great. I walk for an hour most days with the dog. I have lost 3.5 stone including pre op and was done 22 feb.
I do enjoy my walk and did my first exercise class last week and wasn't too out if breath, because of my walking.

I haven't done any exercise whatsoever because of a year-old ankle injury and I have lost over 6 stone since my op date on the 20th of September. I am delighted with that loss. I didn't want to lose weight particularly fast because of saggy skin issues.
I think your weightloss is great. If you can do exercise then it has to help but don't beat yourself up if you don't.

I was told exercise won't help you lose faster but will help change your shape and help you maintain.

I didn't do much proper exercise just walking for the first 6 months. Since jan I've upped it and I now do 5 hours a week plus walking. I started because I was worried my weight loss might stop. It's kept it going and is totally changing my shape and giving me tone and definition.

I advise you to start it as soon as you can :)

I even enjoy my classes now. Bonkers I know.

From a month post op I did 30 mins on my elliptical trainer everyday. In april I added to that 30 mins aerobics and 10 mins on my bike doing a "fat burn" programme so 70 mins of cardio a day. The only day I don't exercise is Wednesday(rest day)

No I don't think it makes you lose faster at all(not in my case). Next week I will be 5 months post op and 2 of them months i've had a MONTH long stall. I should of waited until my weightloss started to slow down(it never went fast anyway) and then shocked my body into dropping more by doing exercises.

I'm the only one who will disagree as I have been exercising all the time and had a couple of weeks where I haven't managed as much and those were the weeks I did not lose- of course could be coincidence but with every weight loss programme I've always found the exercise boosts the loss

Eve, depending on your metabolic rate it may be that it dropped low - are you active in your day job? I am which is why I suspect my cals have to be high.

Ah did not think of it that way! I'm different every day I think- I only work 2 mornings a week and its admin work(not much moving at all) but the rest of the time I'm busy with my 2 year old(so fairly active ).

i used to wii fit during my intial loss half hour stepping or boxing then half hour toning or yoga i loved it helped me continue to lose. i will return to it once im loosing again

Exercise played no part in my weight loss, never did and never has. Im quite an active person because I have a 4 year old, that was all the exercise I needed !

Some would say exercise will help with the skin issues you may have after the weight loss, but depending on your age, and how much weight you have lost, exercise won't help at all.

I started off walking for 20 mins then built it up to 1 hour over the first 3 months post-op. Then I changed to run/jog/fast walk for 45 to 50 mins. Since I've lessened my workouts in the last 3 months my weightloss has slowed down and my appetite has increased. I work out 3 times a week and do 2 yoga sessions as well. At this point its helping me maintain but may need to up my exercise to shift the final 15 kg. Anyway good luck - everyone is different as my friend who did the sleeve a month after me, we were similiar sizes and has hardly exercised is nearer to her goal than I am.

Back