• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How did people react?

Stevie0412

Hi everyone, I am 5 days post op and have so far only told my hubby mum, dad and sister about my op. I love my friends to bits and they are fabulous but I feel so protective of my band Im holding back from telling people what I've done!!

I am wondering if I am cutting off lines of support in keeping this to myself or if I am right in assuming that people who don't know in depth my weight struggles will make preconceived assumptions about wls.... Any pearls of wisdom or experience would be valued, xxx

There's another similar thread to this "Does anyone regret telling people" that you may find interesting. I have chosen not to tell anyone apart from immediate family, I have told my hairdresser because I am having a bad hair month or two post op and I will be telling my personal trainer. I have to say, people have very strong views on this subject and will voice them, I don't get why it's anyone else's business.....I have really good friends who were hyper critical when I did Lighterlife so certainly not telling them about my op!

Ah I see you've read the other thread! You can always tell people later but you can't "un-tell" people, so bide your time...

Hi , I in the begining only told 1 sister my senior who is also my closest friend and my manager then 1 week before my surgery I told the rest of my immediate family and work colleagues the reason was I didnt want constant questions, people watching me around food just the extra pressure plus it could be a while from starting on this path and I didn't think it was far to have a heap of people worrying over me for so long
everyone as been so supportive something I never doubted onky a very small handful still dont know mostly fb friends but I will tell them in time
good luck in whatever you decide to do

I told everyone lol i never was one to hold back, plus making excuses all the time makes me uncomfortable BUT sometimes i wish i hadn't been so open with it ..... it becomes topic of conversation that's for sure lol......the band seems to have such a terrible review too , which doesn't help. I have had people telling me just to stick on the LSD lol to others who bat of my weight loss like its been a magic cure (which of course its not) It seems (for me anyway) my weight loss surgery is now the only part of me, its all people want to talk about, good and bad.... its almost like the other parts of my life have been over shadowed....... but then guess its been a huge change for me too !! its a hard one...... because people are going to notice one way or another and some will ask just be prepared with quick answers lol i also find when they know they are watching you with food.... testing you even lol its a minefield for sure....... human nature is a weird thing, people are quick to knock you down rather than to build you up, so tread slowly .......once its said it cant be taken back :) Having the support here is more than enough and have found my list of friends has narrowed too!! Think long and hard x x x x

I only told one close friend who I trust with my life my family who don't live nearby eventually guessed and when asked outright I couldn't lie to them although it has been hard and have had a lot of awkward questions accusations I prefer it this way as there are certain people ex husband included I just wouldn't want to find out so decided better not to trust others I have been through two ops almost alone as a result which wasn't easy but I suppose it's individual choice x

Thank you for your replies. I am defo gonna keep my own counsel for a good while if not forever. Hopefully once these few weeks of liquid/baby food are out of the way I can get away with telling people I'm reducing my portion size.

When I did the Cambridge diet I had more than a few opinions thrust upon me. And then I think the same people were almost relieved when the weigh crept back in-despite it creeping on in the shape of baby number four! Haha!

Maybe when I'm a size 10 I might just throw it out there casually one day! Til then ... Shhh!

xx

Back