• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How did you choose your surgeon?

Tobi

Hi all, im new here :)

I posted a longish message earlier in the introduction section and to sum it up, i have decided to have a WLS but still cannot decide where to get it done and which surgeon to choose.

Those of you who went private, how did you choose your surgeon?

I was thinking of Dolan Park as I keep seeing people mention The Hospital Group and a particular Dr Super - i thought it was a nickname first haha :) Dolan Park is a 2 hour drive, I live in Surrey, do you think i should choose somewhere near home?

Decisions decisions... Please help?

Tobi x

I personally would want nearer to home as you need to go back post op, some more than others depending on the op you have. I simply went to my local hospital, having researched the surgeon too. Let's be honest if there were rubbish surgeons out there would they still be trading?

I would thoroughly recommend thg, but not everyones experience has been positive. I chose thg at Dolan Park because I only live about half an hour away. I did like the idea of mr super because he worked for both the nhs and privately, and had great success rates. As Jo says its extremely important to consider aftercare. Thg have around twenty bariatric nurses around the country for the fills. Remember though that the patient co-ordinators are sales people in essence, and you are unlikely to have any contact with them once they have done their job and got their sale/deposit. Admittedly, i have been a pretty low mainentance patient, and done a lot of research myself to make my band work for me, but I have had no issues whatsoever with my dietician and nurses. So, consider whats going to be important to you, and as well as information about the surgeon ask lots of questions about the aftercare support you will get from your short list of providers.

Welcome :)

I also went with THG. Mr Hewin was the surgeon I had my first consultation with and I was happy with him for a few reasons....he works for NHS (in Gloucester and Bristol....so my neck of the woods)....he was really honest about the mixed reputation of THG and said he had only begun to work for them recently as 'certain issues' had been addressed....he told me that he would see me whenever I wished and would look after me if THG went under or there were any other problems.

THG were also the only provider I found who offered a 6 month surgical guarantee.

I am only 8 days out but so far delighted with my choice....my incisions look incredible and he started me off with 3mls in a 10 ml band (I know not all surgeons do a fill at the time.if surgery and I was.pleased to have one).

To be totally honest though, I went with THG due to cost....I.simply couldn't afford to go anywhere else. It was also difficult to find another provider who would band me with a BMI of 31 (I know this might ring alarm bells about their motivations! However NICE guidelines do now say that BMI 30+ is okay).

I think if you go with THG you do need to go in with your eyes open....you won't get loads of contact post op and you will need to be proactive and 'help yourself'.

I cannot fault the staff or experience at Dolan Park though....it was brilliant. So for me, with THG you will be getting the surgeon and hospital experience other providers can often with slightly less 'hands on' aftercare.

For me it was definitely the right.choice....(touch wood).

And hello!

Sooo I finally rang THG this morning to book a consultation appointment somewhere near where i live and apparently London clinic is the closest to me but they only do the ops in Dolan Park Birmingham wherever you go and whichever surgeon you choose.

You apparently have to have your operation with the surgeon you have your consultation with so i think i need to make up my mind before i confirm the appointment.

Did anyone have their operation with Dr Martin Richardson? He is one of the surgeons based in London clinic and im tempted to go ahead and see him although i did not come across anything when i googled his name.

The other option is go ahead and book an appointment with Dr Super as i will have to go to Birmingham for my op anyway.

How many times roughhly do you need to see your surgeon before your op? Im just thinking about how difficult it might be to drive to Dolan Park several times that's all.

The good thing is, they give a 2 year aftercare plan with unlimited fills and you can go to any THC clinic you like for your aftercare.

I really would like to hear your thougts on Dr Martin Richardson before i make my final decision... I just want to have my op tomorrow id possible :)))

Many thanks!
Tobi x

Hi! And good luck in your journey. I too went with the hospital group just before mason and I had dr halstead, I had never met him before though. At my consultation I met the patient advisor type lady. Can't remember her actual title sorry! She wasn't allowed to give any medical advice just a point of contact before hand. Lisa she was called and she was lovely. Then an actual consultant called Paula who gave me the medical side risks etc. I met dr halstead the day of surgery when he came to get my signature and go through the risks again. He was absolutely lovely and put me at ease about the operation. He was really relaxes and friendly. All the surgeons do it slightly differently mind, some put a fill in at the time such as masons, dr halstead left mine empty, he said he likes us to heal first then get used to restriction, I was a bit gutted to find I had no fill but to be fair I've not been proper hungry since the op and don't think it will be a problem until a couple of weeks time when I start on normal food. Also masons surgeon didn't give her blood thinning injections to take home, that may be because she weighed about a stone less than me or it might be surgeons preference, they don't all send you home with the injections. What mason said was very fair, don't expect lots of contact, but in general my experience at Dolan park was pretty good, the staff were all lovely. Particularly the man giving out meds! :) I had a four hour journey back home so he gave me an injection so I wouldn't get travel sick just before I left which was helpful. Do plenty of research! It's worth it. I don't regret going with the hospital group as I got in and got it done fast. Just would have liked a bit more aftercare. But you do get given a list of phone numbers when you leave. If you need them ring them, don't wait for them to ring. Good luck :)

I agree with Lola's comments. I just had the one consultation with mr super before the day of the op. I saw him on the day of the op for just a couple of minutes which I suppose I was a little disappointed in, but you have to consider if he's got say 8 or 10 ops to do on the day, he just wants to get down to his job. after the op though when he did his ward round, he was lovely, and had time to relax and answer lots of questions. The male nurse I had there was fantastic too! Be aware that it is a hospital and not a hotel. The next day they need to prepare for the next days intake of patients, so checkout/discharge time is 7am. I was aware of this, so it wasn't an issue, but some people have been shocked by this.

you have to be confident in you surgeon, I spoke to one on the phone and was not very impressed by him so I went to the Bariatric Group and felt well looked after right from the very first phone call to having my surgery and now they phone up to make sure everything is ok xx
Listen to your heart xx

I saw my surgeon twice a day for every day of my 5 day hospitalization. Day one was set aside for full medical tests, day 2 operation and then the reminder of day in ICU. Days 3,4 and part of day 5 recovery in private room As for costs (if you have to return) of going abroard £60.00 for return flight 2hrs away by Ryanair isn't exactly expensive it cost me more in fuel for my car From North Wales to Stansted. With Cosmetic Bliss there is a compulsary 2 year follow up program and all operations carry a lifetime gaurantee. Banders have there fills in the UK.

How many of the Uk private hospitals do that. None I would think as they are all far to expensive and paying fatcats. Just how many are replacing faulty breast implants FOC for ex patiants as an example of gaurantees.
Victoria x

I am struggling with this issue at the moment. Although I have done some research, I can't decide between The National Obesity Surgery Centre and The hospital group. It seems that many people here went with the hospital group, so it feels to me like 'positive recommendation', but they are in Birmingham and the National Obesity Surgery Centre is here in London...

Also the internet research on the consultant is not telling me much. Each of those two consultants I am considering (one in each of the above hospitals) have impressive resume, impressive qualification and experience but I don't think that it is what makes a surgeon become a great surgeon. Like in any occupation, there may be people with a lot of experience or lot of qualification and still be rubbish at their job...

My main consideration was the experience, age of surgeon (in their prime and not too interested in golf!) and ease of contact for aftercare, the latter was a godsend and I've had quite a few problems since, I can contact my consultant 24 hours a day, of which I have had to once. Should I ever need an emergency de-fill I'm confident that I won't end up in A&E.

Plus, do they answer questions in a manner that I can understand, and do I trust them. This was a life changing experience and for me I wanted to be 150% sure of them before I put my life in their hands.

Having to travel to Birmingham to get treatment wouldn't have suited me, and the hospital sounds like a production line, efficient, but I do want to be a person, not a number.

I chose my consultant, then picked between the hospitals for the most convenient and with the best medical facilities for any unforeseen problems.

If you are in Surrey, check out St Anthony's in North Cheam, just up the A3.

For me, I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for!

The provider I chose I researched thoroughly on the Internet, also emailed the surgeon directly, before my consultations with the whole team. i felt it important for me to get the right package and aftercare as I thought if I was going to pay for an op for a family member, I'd pay for the best - so why treat yourself different? For me the aftercare was the main issue. I can't comment on THG, sorry, as not using them, but Think very carefully about your own needs first, don't be afraid to pester them before you decide x

I researched my surgery for over 7 years before I finally took the plunge. I didn't like the way THG were during finding out, so they went off my list quite early on. However, I have a fear of anaesthetic and as such, my choice for surgeon was mainly down to finding someone who had a zero % mortality rate on their surgery!

I also wanted good post op care. With my provider I have a 3 year warranty for all surgical procedures relating to my band if something goes wrong, and 2 years care post surgery too. They have been great, lots of checks by phone, information really great too! And while I have to travel to Birmingham (about 1 hour drive) its not too bad.

Back