• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How did you react?

Hi, everyone.
Just wondering how people reacted after they were told they would be referred for wls.
Sometimes I stuff my face, and think I'm going to eat this while I can. Other times I think 'no'. I'm not going to eat this - I might as well get used to it now, because I won't be able to eat it after wls :rolleyes:
What did you do?

Last edited:
Numb

I was a bit tearful to be honest, I've been a fatty since I was 12 and now I'm 59, can't imagine what it's like to be a normal size.
Xmas has been since I've had my date so I did go a bit mad and now I'm halfway through this reducing diet for (2 weeks) I'm absolutely starving all the time, even immediately after a, so called meal.
I'm also frightened, mainly for my wife, because I love her so much and I don't want to hurt her by leaving her, my risk is 5%.
So mixed feelings really.

I put a stone on prior to the op as I ate what I wanted, the good thing to come out of that was my guilt about eating food went away, I no longer feel guilty about anything I put in my mouth and thats a good feeling....also I did not do a pre op diet as I was only given a few days notice I was advised to go out and enjoy myself food wise....xx

I was a bit tearful to be honest, I've been a fatty since I was 12 and now I'm 59, can't imagine what it's like to be a normal size.
Xmas has been since I've had my date so I did go a bit mad and now I'm halfway through this reducing diet for (2 weeks) I'm absolutely starving all the time, even immediately after a, so called meal.
I'm also frightened, mainly for my wife,
because I love her so much and I don't want to hurt her by leaving her, my risk is 5%.
So mixed feelings really.

Hi, Crafty,
Sounds like you're still undecided about what to do. I do understand why you feel scared - I'm the same myself, but it is only you that can make the decision.
A few days ago I did a search to look for mortality rates + gastric bypass :eek: and the results that turned up made me feel much better. Also, if you look at some postings by Tesmerelda, it is quite reassuring. I think she said that one of her doctors on her bariatric team had told her that she had more chance of dying on the way to her appointment than during surgery.
Have a look through this site at some old postings for information. Also, have you looked on the BOSPA site?
Good Luck X

Because my BMi is 42, and the criteria for surgery in my area is BMi over 40, my doctor has actually advised me not to lose any weight until after I have been approved for surgery. I know that might seem like madness to some, and of course if losing weight was easy then none of us would be in this position.

As soon as I have been given the go ahead for surgery I intend to start trying to cut back a little but so I can be as healthy as poss for the surgery

Hi, Crafty,
Sounds like you're still undecided about what to do. I do understand why you feel scared - I'm the same myself, but it is only you that can make the decision.
A few days ago I did a search to look for mortality rates + gastric bypass :eek: and the results that turned up made me feel much better. Also, if you look at some postings by Tesmerelda, it is quite reassuring. I think she said that one of her doctors on her bariatric team had told her that she had more chance of dying on the way to her appointment than during surgery.
Have a look through this site at some old postings for information. Also, have you looked on the BOSPA site?
Good Luck X
Hiya,
Yes I know what you mean, I have been on the BOSPA site and done the same search and I'm quite content that the risks are low, but my family are frightened, long faces, gloomy stares and that gets to me.
When the anaesthetist told me it was a 5% risk, because of my age, I asked him to be honest with me and tell me if I should go ahead and do it or not, he didn't hesitate at all before answering, "yes definitely".
So I'm determined to go through with it and there's only 6 days to go after all.
Thank you for your concern and kindness.

As soon as I have been given the go ahead for surgery I intend to start trying to cut back a little but so I can be as healthy as poss for the surgery

Good move, Sam. I am not stuffing my face per se, but am cutting back here and there. As soon as I have a date for surgery, I'm going to be in the zone.

I have pretty much been of the i'm going to eat what i want but in moderation but my gall bladder is playing up so i think its my bodies way of telling me to watch what I eat. As daft as it sounds I have noticed the pain in my side before and just kept ignoring it but nowits getting to the stage where I can't ignore it. So I have no choice but to cut down and watch what I'm eating. 8~(

i have just had my bypass last mon 5th jan i had no doubts really but my family did all i could imagine is how i would be in a couple of years from now and whether i would be here and if so what kind of life i would have if i kept gaining weight .
it is not easy but you have to think long term and how it will benefit your life and health hope you can feel better soon about it and everyone else who is ready for having it done
alison xx

i have just had my bypass last mon 5th jan i had no doubts really but my family did all i could imagine is how i would be in a couple of years from now and whether i would be here and if so what kind of life i would have if i kept gaining weight .
it is not easy but you have to think long term and how it will benefit your life and health hope you can feel better soon
about it and everyone else who is ready for having it done
alison xx

Hi, Alison,
Good to hear from you.
How are you feeling post-op. Have you had much sickness?

:)
i have felt a little sicky but tried not to be as i dont want to rench my tummy i think i got that winter bug for 24 hours as i suffered bad with the runs :eek: but i have felt great since i have no pain i feel more or less the same as before and still feel a little hungry but you dont get told those things but i had it on mon and was home on tuesday and i feel great so i know how it feels with your family as mine where the same my daughters where crying all the time before but now they now i am fine they are happier now all i can say is its not as bad as you think it to be alison :)

I have pretty much been of the i'm going to eat what i want but in moderation but my gall bladder is playing up so i think its my bodies way of telling me to watch what I eat. As daft as it sounds I have noticed the pain in my side before and just kept ignoring it but nowits getting to the stage where I can't ignore it. So I have no choice but to cut down and watch what I'm eating. 8~(
Hiya T, where do you have the pain from your gall stones? I keep having pain on my left hand side, just kinda below my ribs to the left.

Me too, Allie.
I thought it was cramp, a side effect from my cholesterol tabs. I don't know, now :confused:
Hiya ww, ive just looked up gallstones and its not that cuz its on the wrong side. I dont know I will have to go to docs if I keep getting it. Yours could be your meds, you'll have to keep an eye on it and visit the doc too. x

Cheers T, mines on the opposite side! so it can't be that.

I always said "I wish I could get that bypass" but it never occurred to me to ask for it! Then, when the diabetic clinic said that was my only option & I would be referred I was "What? I must be really bad" & that was it!!

Regarding food, I went through the "I'm going to eat this while I can", & why not! It's true. I certainly didn't get the "no, I'm not going to eat this - I might as well get used to it now, because I won't be able to eat it after wls" as there was time enough for that after surgery!! Ha!

Having said this, & reading posts here, it depends on the surgeon etc but I think you have to be careful you don't gain too much or they delay the op - which seems like madness to me!!

Charliegirl ...
...the good thing to come out of that was my guilt about eating food went away, I no longer feel guilty about anything I put in my mouth and thats a good feeling....
How do you do that? I still get major guilts, especially if I have 'a little of what I fancy'. Maybe I haven't got my head around that still!!

I feel as though the responsibility has been lifted from me and food is not as much of an obssession now I have been referred - I put no weight on over Christmas - weird!
Can't really explain it - just feel calmer about my weight as I feel it is now a temporary situation and have a certainty that I will be healthier and fitter at some point in the next couple of years.
Before the referral I had this awful feeling that (even though I definitely didn't want to) I was actually slowly killing myself, that came with all its associated guilts and sadness - these negative feelings have gone too!
My GP's attitude has been amazing and that has also contributed to my feelings of being supported and understood.
Not one of my family members have been negative about the referral and are all quite excited at the thought of me being happy. I think the fact that I am not happy with my weight being out in the open now is liberating - you know that old 'no one mention the elephant in the room'. A few of my close friends and family (even my partener!) were surprised as they had no idea that my weight bothered me, so they worried for me and had no idea how to tell me.
Lx

Hi, everyone.
Just wondering how people reacted after they were told they would be referred for wls.
Sometimes I stuff my face, and think I'm going to eat this while I can. Other times I think 'no'. I'm not going to eat this - I might as well get used to it now, because I won't be able to eat it after wls :rolleyes:
What did you do?
I,m eating what I want, I would'nt say I'm over indulging...but I am having what I like. I suppose the idea being that it's not long til I won't be able to eat what I like.

Mine all happened so quickly I didn't even have a 'last supper'! I saw the consultant on the 13th Dec, booked my op for the 27th and started the milk diet on the 14th!

Back