• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How did your GP react when asked about a Bypass ?

Your GP is awful! I am so sorry. My GP was so wonderful. She was very supportive. I have run into major roadblocks with the NHS so I am going to go private but I couldn't have asked for a more supportive GP.

I am so sorry you have experienced attitude like this. My GP was wonderful and is very suportive. He wanted me to have the bypass a few years ago but i kept trying myself i think he gets more excited about my weight loss than i do.

I'm so sorry you had to speak to such an ignorant health professional. I have always been grateful to my doctor becuase she is nothing but supportive and ALWAYS has been. When I first went in about the surgery she just said - your weight has creeped up without us noticing it. I have other friends whos doctors blame their weight for everything - mine have never done that and I am truely grateful to them for the support they have given me. I would def think about complaining - if for nothing else it will make them think twice before they are rude to the next person with a weight problem.

My Doc is great, and didn't quibble when I told her I wanted to look into surgery, she was straight onto it seeing if I could get funding :D
They are not there to judge, but too many do:mad::mad:

i try to avoid my doctors as i find them quite rude, they want u in and straight back out, so i was gobsmacked when my doctor suggested it to me, as i cant excersie til i lose weight cause of back n ankle problems, please complain she deserves a tellin off xx

I just had to write this down because it's unbelieveable:

I went to my GP (of 7 years) to enquire about a Gastric Bypass and see about getting help with Post Natal Depression.

Her reaction was disgusting and upsetting, I left her surgery feeling near suicidal.

Her answer to my excessive weight gain was:

"just stop eating & don't fill your fridge with food"

When I told her about my joint problems she said:

"What do you expect being so fat"

When I told her I was depressed after the birth of my baby and found comfort eating helped, she replied:

" Just go back to work sooner"

And when I mentioned if she could refer me for a Gastric Bypass, she replied:

"Im not going to waste my time"

As you can imagine I came away feeling ten times worse than before I went in.

She is now my EX GP.

My new GP was understanding and very helpful, he did refer me for surgery, but my PCT would not fund it, therefore Im going private.

Has anyone else had such a bad response from their GP ?

I'm actually considering making a complaint against her, but not sure what I would actually achieve.

Tell her to go #### & and #'#'#.

How dare she, not only as a doctor but as a woman...I reckong she must have had a lobotomy at birth and removal of her obviously faulty heart.

So pleased you have a new understanding GP...so important, especially when you have kids.

Hope you are feeling a lot better hun.

(((hugs)))

My doctor was extremely helpful and full of compassion, however he did try to make sure I was not depressed and making my weight the focus of my depression...once he realised I had the weight problem in perspective along with anything else I was going through, he got together with another GP and they referred me straight away.

I wouldn't swap my GP for the world...(I'm lucky as most of the GP's in my practice are great).

(((hugs)))

My GP was fantastic and i'd been with him for about all of 4 weeks! I went for an appt, told him i wanted wls, explained my history and what i'd tried to do myself. He filled in the form there and then, two weeks later i was in weight loss clinic seeing Ana and Dr Hartland.... Hopefully this time next year the rest will be history.

I've decided I am going to complain about my GP, I'll be writing a letter first thing in the morning.

Thanks for all your comments and it's nice to hear there are some understanding GP's out there

x

Back