• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

If you go private does your GP need to provide info?

EmmaLouise81

As you might know I have a consultaion with Mr Somers at the end of September.

I have had a lot of issues in my life that I never had any help with, just silly things that added up and got panic attacks and depression from.

Anyway, after all these years my GP said I could go speak with mental health advisor...just to get things out there.

Anyway when this was offered to me I said yes then went on to ask my GP about NHS weightloss surgery. I got told there was none etc and she then said it probably was not the right time to think about it anyway.

I know my own mind and 99% of my troubles stem from having been weight from I was 4 or so. I don;t think surgery will take all my troubles away but it might help with my confidence and how I feel about myself.

Anyway, back to my question... I was asked when making the appointment my GP's details, which I gave. Will she be contacted if I go ahead with surgery?

I will tell her but I want to meet Mr Somers first and see what way it goes. I want band, I hear he would prefer people who travel to him to have the bypass. Not fussed on that idea so not even 100% I will be able to have surgery.

Anyway will she be contacted?

Hi and welcome!! firstly do you have any co-morbilities High blood preasure, diabeties, arthritus ect, also how much do you weigh, and your height, and then we can work out your B.M.I therefore this will tell you if you come under the Nice guide lines to the NHS funding for weight loss surgery. You should then be refered via your G.P to start your journey. Kind regards Gail

Hi - I went private & was given a letter to give to my Doctor after the Op was done - I was told it was optional as to weather i gave it to her or not............! Good luck in whatever you choose to do

Hiya

I had a band fitted privatly and had to fill out a health questionnaire and my doctors details etc. The questionnaire covered issued such as previous or current depression. If you are asked to fill out a similar Im sure your provider will discuss this with you before and if they contact your GP.

Good luck x

When I was going to go private I still had to have a referral letter from my GP, which he did and put what he thought was relevant for the surgeon to know.

I believe there is a form that the GP's have to fill out for NHS referrals; I had posted a copy of that somewhere.

Good luck

(((hugs)))

Hi,

I had a private bypass with Mr Somers, he saw me without a referral letter, but at my consultation he said he would need one before the op to give him details of my medical history, medications etc which are all a part of providing good care.

Not letting your GP know what you have had done would be a mistake as Bariatric patients cannot be prescribed NSAIDs or any medicines which contain sugar so without knowing your GP could do this. Plus if you get certain symptoms and they don't know you have had bariatric surgery then they may not treat you correctly.

Hope that helps

M

Hiya
I went privately and didn't have to tell my doctor before hand but they said they would need to contact her afterwards to inform of of medication needed, blood tests etc
Hope this helps!

I didn't give my private clinic my GP's details, there is no obligation for you to do so, but after care may be tricky if you don't tell your doc.

Hi, I didn't need a letter from my GP but I did provide one from my psychiatrist - the consultant didn't ask for it - my psych just gave it to me just in case he needed it. After the op a letter was sent to my GP. x

Back