• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

how do people do it

funky24

Well my holiday fast approaching June 11th :) yaaaay and il be bk on 17th then i want to start eating a bit healthier in prep for my op, and first appt which is pencilled for July ! But i get £50 a week at the minute and i find it sooo hard to run a flat pay my ever growing bills/debts and do some healthy food shopping to last a full 2 weeks and i sometimes feed my partner to who also wants to lose weight but we just sit there of an evening eating chocolate watching films etc and she is always knackered after work to do exercise etc. We are already making small changes ie like me giving up the diet coke, drinking alot of flavoured water at the minute lol :)
Well iv wrote and rambled long enough and not got to a point really lol apologies. Just any ideas and tips you may have please share with me.
much love
lisa
xx

Hiya im a single parent and only work part time.. so i live on a budget aswell... some weeks i only have about £35 to live on... but i find that eating healthier foods saves money as you will be surprised how the amount of rubbish we eat does cost a lot when you put it all together.
i would suggest have for breakfast something like egg or beans on toast as this will keep you full... and lunch and dinner have ie a couple of sausages or a bit of chicken etc... have just a couple of chips or 1 potato... but have plenty of veg... doesnt have to be fresh... i have stacks of frozen veg in my freezer and it is just as good as fresh veg. have a couple of healthy snacks say one in the afternoon.. and one in the evening... like snackajacks, or an alpen light bar. and drink lots.... fluids like tea, water, nas squash, options hot choc, cuppa soups will keep you full so you wont want to snack on rubbish.
Enjoy your holiday then come back and start afresh... we are here to help you through.. good luck and have a lovely holiday xx

This is not a popular answer or tip but cooking from scratch has really saved me money but needs a bit of effort. I don't buy ready meals or things like that anymore.
I also make things like lentil curry or chick pea casseroles. Make my own hoummus low fat & much cheaper than supermarket ready made. Very easy & very healthy & nutritious. I buy chicken thighs not breasts anymore money saving & tastier.
Make your own soups so quick & tasty. Loads of healthy budget recipes on the Internet. Use your freezer if you have one.

This is not a popular answer or tip but cooking from scratch has really saved me money but needs a bit of effort. I don't buy ready meals or things like that anymore.
I also make things like lentil curry or chick pea casseroles. Make my own hoummus low fat & much cheaper than supermarket ready made. Very easy & very healthy & nutritious. I buy chicken thighs not breasts anymore money saving & tastier.
Make your own soups so quick & tasty. Loads of healthy budget recipes on the Internet. Use your freezer if you have one.

Belly dancer, I would love your hummus recipe, as long as its not a close guarded family secret :D

And Funky24 just to reiterate what others have said, cook from scratch, use quorn mince instead of real mince, loads of pulses and beans and jacket potatoes....all good filling meals
Em xxxx

400 g chickpeas (drained)
1/2 lemon, juice of
2 crushed garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cumin
2 tablespoons 0% Greek yogurt
water, to thin down if you need
All weights estimated.
Mix & whizz in blender. Decorate with some paprika which adds a bit of a kick. You can roast some peppers, red onions or tomatoes in oven & whizz in too. This doesn't have ny tahini in it as it is a low fat one but you could add it or peanut butter to taste & give more authenticity if you want but it will add fat but also protein.
Can't claim credit for it as it's an old slimming world recipe.

Thanks Bellydancer, you're a star....I'm going to make some for a party we're having this weekend xx

Have a great time. I can't bake or cook for weekend coz had a bad fall in hospita
Car park yesterday. Broke my fingers, splinted , battered & bruised. Boo hoo.

Plan your meals. I plan exactly everything we will need including how I will use leftovers from some meals. Eg for lunches. also plan lunches. Things like flavoured water will be expensive. Squashes are cheaper as is tea. Swap down a brand I you can. And don't buy the rubbish! If it's not there is hard to eat it.

Back