• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Is it worth making a will?

Spikeyjaycee

Yes, I know its a bit of a depressing topic, but, as with all surgery, there is a risk that you may die on the operating table. Because of this, what are people's views about making a will before their operation in case things do go wrong (not that I've got anything to leave hubby apart from my debts!).
Because I'm a very organised and methodical person, I will probably make a list of everything that I deal with that he wouldn't have a clue about, like bills, insurances etc.
What does everyone think?

Do you have children? If not, then might not be necessary. Your debts would die with you if you have no assets anyway.

It can't hurt to be prepared for the worst though, although the risks are very small.

If you're married, everything automatically goes to your spouse if you die without a will.

If you're not married or don't want everything to go to your spouse then you should always have a will in place, not just as a preparation for surgery but as something you have there in case of the unexpected.

You'd be amazed how often the trauma of losing a loved one is made so much worse by the absence of a will and the chaos it creates and sometimes the people you love don't get your assets because of it. I've seen it happen to clients all too often in the past.

For me, it's not about being morbid as I think everyone should have one. Also, worth knowing that marriage and divorce cancel existing wills so you have to re-do them if you get married or divorce.

I have one and it says what I'd like to happen to my assets depending on whether I pre-decease hubby or not and also stuff like who I'd want to be guardian for our son if we both died. Hubby's will is pretty much identical to mine, we did them at the same time. I'm not rich but I think it's worth doing.

Back