• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How long after surgery can i start to swim again?

Channel Swimmer

My user name might give it away, but I like to swim and I'm just getting back into the swing of things after my hysterectomy and ovarian cyst removal. My surgery (gastric wrap) is booked for 24th April. How long after surgery is it likely to be before I can swim again? I have some big swim plans this year and I can't wait to get going!!

obviously every hospital is different , so i would ask your team .
it depends how your wounds are secured .
i had a bypass & my wounds were glued & we were told 4 weeks xx

I was told 6 weeks after the op and to take it easy at first

Thanks both of you. So here's hoping for glue and a 4 week verdict from my consultant. By then we'll be into the open water season and the first few weeks are more about getting used to the cold than any great distance, I'll clearly check with my consultant but I'm hoping that will be ok.

Oops. Looking back at my post-op diary I went swimming on day 19, swam 30 lengths, no problems, and back up to my then normal 64 lengths 2 days later. I currently swim circa 100 lengths 3 times per week.

I had a band, with 5 glued incisions which healed very quickly and cleanly. If there had been any signs of seepage I would have delayed my return to swimming.

I don't recall being told to abstain from swimming for a certain period post-op, so I based my readiness on how I felt following my knee arthroscopy previously.

Everybody heals differently so there probably isn't a hard & fast rule - like everything else connected to procedures on this site, health professionals will have varying advice.

Thanks FuturePerfect, that's very encouraging and more aligned with what I was hoping. It shows we're all different and I'm sure the different procedures will also have an impact.

I had major open surgery (long vertical incision) to remove a massive ovarian cyst and perform a hysterectomy in December. I was told to refrain from everything including work for 6 weeks, start re-introducing stuff then and by 12 weeks I should be able to do absolutely everything I did before. It was a little more complicated than that as I got an infection that wouldn't heal and meant my wound only finally closed up 14 weeks after surgery. But at 14 weeks I was allowed to swim again with a plaster on and physically it felt absolutely fine. It was just my fitness that had taken a knock.

I'm hoping that with keyhole surgery where I actually don't have any internal incisions (gastric wrap), that the healing process will be much quicker and I can get back in training for this year's events quickly.

I bet being fit before has an impact on when you can start too. As you are fit already, your body may be ready for exercise much quicker than someone who isn't.

I am hoping this is the case as I can't wait to get back to exercise :)

Fuffs said:
I bet being fit before has an impact on when you can start too. As you are fit already, your body may be ready for exercise much quicker than someone who isn't.

I am hoping this is the case as I can't wait to get back to exercise :)

I think you're right - being fit before surgery means that when you do restart you can get back to normal much quicker. I can't wait and will definitely be making the most of training in the next two weeks before I fly out.

I read somewhere that for every month you take out of training it takes you a week to recover. I lost about 16 months of training and am only 2 weeks back now. However, each session is easier. Each time I can do more. I've got until July / August to get to my normal endurance fitness level again so it'll be tight but still possible.

Oh and the new woman in the lane I swim in saying "I'm sooo much faster than you" is added incentive - I fully intend to be lapping her by the end of the year!!!

I too love swimming but not anywhere in your league. I was told once my staples were removed & incisions healed I could go back swimming. Best check with your team or nurse to be on safe side to prevent infections.

I love to swim and swam competitively when I was younger. I'm hoping to be able to do a lot of swimming as soon as I'm healed post-op.

Have you actually swam the channel? I'd love to do that and think I could manage the distance but dark water freaks me out x

newcy said:
I love to swim and swam competitively when I was younger. I'm hoping to be able to do a lot of swimming as soon as I'm healed post-op.

Have you actually swam the channel? I'd love to do that and think I could manage the distance but dark water freaks me out x

Yes, I have swum the channel. I did it in 2009. I've done a few relays too. I'm intrigued as to what time I could achieve if I wasn't dragging so much weight through the water. I know that my speed does go up and down with my weight.

I was terrified at the prospect of swimming in the dark too. The first time I tried it was on my first and unsuccessful channel attempt. The water was quite rough and it took me a while to get down the ladder at the back of the boat. I remember standing on the platform at the back of the boat looking at the dark unappealing water (it always looks colder when it's dark too) and saying to myself that this really was beyond insanity!! I did jump in and swim to shore then started my swim and actually found that swimming in the dark was actually really nice. Instead of seeing waves you learn to feel. I also remember watching the sky go from black to dark blue and then paler and paler until the sun broke above the horizon and I got to watch the most glorious sunrise ever. From there you feel the sun on your back and everything is ok with the world.

Bellydancer57 said:
I too love swimming but not anywhere in your league. I was told once my staples were removed & incisions healed I could go back swimming. Best check with your team or nurse to be on safe side to prevent infections.

Thanks. Yes, I'll check with them before I leave, and what you say makes perfect sense.

I think you're right - being fit before surgery means that when you do restart you can get back to normal much quicker. I can't wait and will definitely be making the most of training in the next two weeks before I fly out.

I read somewhere that for every month you take out of training it takes you a week to recover. I lost about 16 months of training and am only 2 weeks back now. However, each session is easier. Each time I can do more. I've got until July / August to get to my normal endurance fitness level again so it'll be tight but still possible.

Oh and the new woman in the lane I swim in saying "I'm sooo much faster than you" is added incentive - I fully intend to be lapping her by the end of the year!!!

You have great determination and spirit. That will help you to achieve any goal you want to :) xxx

Yes, I have swum the channel. I did it in 2009. I've done a few relays too. I'm intrigued as to what time I could achieve if I wasn't dragging so much weight through the water. I know that my speed does go up and down with my weight.

I was terrified at the prospect of swimming in the dark too. The first time I tried it was on my first and unsuccessful channel attempt. The water was quite rough and it took me a while to get down the ladder at the back of the boat. I remember standing on the platform at the back of the boat looking at the dark unappealing water (it always looks colder when it's dark too) and saying to myself that this really was beyond insanity!! I did jump in and swim to shore then started my swim and actually found that swimming in the dark was actually really nice. Instead of seeing waves you learn to feel. I also remember watching the sky go from black to dark blue and then paler and paler until the sun broke above the horizon and I got to watch the most glorious sunrise ever. From there you feel the sun on your back and everything is ok with the world.

Wow! I'm very jealous - sounds scary but worth it at the same time x

I had to wait 6 weeks but I had RNY gastric Bypass and the procedure was open. the wait wasn't to do with the wound or previous fitness but to minimise the risk of hernia. My only problem with swimming now is my self consciousness re my loose skin on my legs and my lumpy thighs so I wear a boy leg costume.

I had to wait 6 weeks but I had RNY gastric Bypass and the procedure was open. the wait wasn't to do with the wound or previous fitness but to minimise the risk of hernia. My only problem with swimming now is my self consciousness re my loose skin on my legs and my lumpy thighs so I wear a boy leg costume.
I hate how I look in a costume because every lump and bump is exposed, but it's something I accept (for now). It does mean that I'm very reluctant to compete at the moment, maybe later in the year.

I was also told that swimming would be out of the question for 6 weeks after my recent open surgery and that by 12 weeks I should be doing everything that I previously did. I don't know the reason behind that advice but what you say makes sense. In my case I did have rather a lot of volume removed. My cyst was 17x15x14 cm plus all my lady giblets!

Hopefully there is less risk of hernia with the procedure that I'm having, but I'll find out when I get there.

I remember one of the swimmers from a couple of years ago having his appendix removed and being back in channel training 2 weeks later!!! I think this memory may have led to my potentially optimistic expectations.

Watch this space I guess................

Great inspiration to us all. Well done.

I'm hoping that with keyhole surgery where I actually don't have any internal incisions (gastric wrap), that the healing process will be much quicker and I can get back in training for this year's events quickly.

What sort of events do you take part in? Other than just the channel itself -- other open water or long distance swims?

A few years back I swam the "equivalent distance of the channel" (in stages) -- as part of the sponsored ASPIRE channel swim .... swimming 22 miles within 12 weeks .... but that was a good few years ago now (poss 2004/5) and I was probably "only" about 18 stone then.

Several more years of gaining weight have led me to reach a much more unhealthy weight where I now no longer feel confident in public baths about my size (hence I am very out of practice).

I am hoping that once I shed 2 or 3 stone post op I will get the confidence to dip my toe again.

I'm convinced those of us who used to swim competitively when we were young put on weight more than other people when we stop ! I didn't used to eat that much when I trained but by golly I used a lot of calories. I'm sure it's left me very calorie efficient i.e my body makes the most of every one ! I'm seriously thinking about training for a triathlon once I've got this running business sorted as it will be such a challenge. I haven't swum in open water ( other than belly boarding in the sea lol) since I was a kid but it really appeals.

Back