• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How long before I could get a tummy tuck on the NHS?

Hi,

Im still along way off, but was thinking about a tummy tuck.

When would you get one free on the NHS, do you have to prove that you've been slim for a while and how would you prove?

Thanks

bm2lm xx

speaking as some one who worked in nhs. i would consult a surgeon while you are still losing weight ,he can then tell you at what point you would be eligible.acting like spare tyre is making you severely depressed might help. seemed to worked for all the patients i knew

My sister-in-law's sister has just had this surgery, last Wednesday in fact. She also had saggy skin removed from her upper arms and legs.

She's maintained her new slim figure for almost 3 years and is getting married this August so surgery has come just at the right time.

I think you need the support of a good gp who will put you forward for the surgery.

Apparently she's very sore and has to wear a whole body stocking, my 4 year old nephew says she looks like a mummy! Oh they also told her she would need about 6 weeks off work to recover too.

Hope this helps.

My gp put me forward, the surgeon said i was an extremely good candidate, but my pct wouldn't authorise the op, so that was the end of that! Perhaps I should have another go???

primary care trust
the people who run the health authorities now (I think! lol)

my GP said i would need to see a psychiatrist & prove severe mental trauma to even get a lookin at a consultant :sigh:
guess it'll be private if & when my late gran's flat sells - not holding my breath its been on the market 2 yrs
xx:)

It all depends on your GP, and, as has been said, your PCT.

You need to be at a healthy BMI, or almost there, before you can be put on the waiting list.

Basically, your GP's your first port of call, and he/she will decide whether or not to refer you to a surgeon. Your surgeon will then decide whether or not your a good candidate (healthy weight, healthy in general, have enough loose skin, etc). He'll then write back to your GP, who will submit a request for the funding with your PCT. If they say 'yes', then you get put on the waiting list.

It's all a bit of a lottery, depending on where you live and what your GP's views are. You won't actually need to 'prove' that you've lost a lot of weight, as your tummy will be a reflection of that if you have enough loose skin. You don't need to prove how long you've been maintaining either, so could technically make that up I guess, so long as your GP hasn't seen you for a while so doesn't know if you've been recently overweight!

Hope that helps.

Jo x

I lost about 9 stone and had a lot of excess skin, mostly on my tummy. My GP referred me to the NHS and the Consultant put me on the list (saying I was an excellent candidate having lost a lot of weight through sensible eating and exercise and having maintained that weight loss for 2 years).

The PCT refused. I appealed and that was refused as well, so they had to take me off the list. I did a Freedom of Information Act enquiry to see how many had been funded and basically there had been about 8 applicants all of which had been refused over the past year or so, so I decided that the NHS was a no-go.

About 18 months later we had finally got the money together and I have just had a circumferential tummy tuck (i.e. it goes all the way round) as I had a lot of loose skin on the flanks and across my back.

I am interested to know how many NHS Authorities pay for this type of thing still - I don't mind having to pay for the op (sort of!) but, because it is "cosmetic" surgery, my employer are refusing to pay me whilst I am off work recuperating, which has added a significant cost to the op.

I am in the process of appealing as I regard this procedure as "reconstructive" rather than purely "cosmetic". If I'd got it done on the NHS I can't see that they would have had the same problem with it, after all it would have been done for medical reasons then...

A very interesting read everyone. I have had a gastric bypass over 6 weeks ago and have already lost 2 stones and 8 pounds. I have lost significant weight in the past, which resulted in flabby skin on my belly and arms. Living in Wales at the time, my GP said that I would need to keep the weight off for two years and be at my ideal BMI. I gained the weight back on, but am hoping that it will all go now by sticking rigidly to the post op rules. I have already asked my GP in Manchester, who didn't even know if I could have it on the NHS. She told me she would check it out and then for me to come back when I had lost more weight. I'm hoping that I will get the fesired response, but realise that it is a long wait at best.

I was quoted £4700 to have a TT not sure about the private health care though.

Hi Girls,
I've just been given funding for a FTT on the NHS and have my op 9th sept 2008.
I too have lost alot of weight and had 3 caesarians sections which has left an apron of skin and extremely weakend stomach muscles.
I get constant skin infections and sores and inbetween my fold. I need high strength antibiotics every 6 weeks or so as it constantly flares up plus this makes me really depressed and self concious about myself, luckliy my GP has been very supportive, he referred me 23rd May and applied for funding, I saw a PS on 6th june, he also recommended funding under extreme medical conditions, then the PCT agreed funding 23rd june after a 4 day fight from me and my GP but it worked and now I'm having the op 9th sept '08.
It is a lottery and very hard to get this surgery on he NHS unless it's for extreme medical reasons, I have known people who have lost weight from a size 20 to a size 10 and they still wouldn't do a FTT due to it not been a medical reason, had it been for a medical reason then they would of done it.
I hope a helped a little bit in the process sense, and I hope you get the postive outcome you deserve.
Take care
Trina xx

I am hoping to have a tummy tuck when I have lost the 5 stone, as I have a large overhang already, due to 2 pregnancies and very large babies( 9lbs and over 11 lbs), it will be needed! I am already being treated for severe post natal depression, and I have enquired privately( it will cost £5,500 for a TT), but I have not spoken to my Gp yet, although I think i will approach them and ask. Fingers x'd but won't hold my breath!!!

My gp requested funding fof a TT for me I meet the criteria set by my pct but have to maintain for a year. Hopefully this time next year I will have a flat tummy instead of this gross overhang I have at the minute.

help!! This stuff's all new to me. I've just lost 8 stone by healthy eating and wotnot and im left with horrible folds of flabby skin! My gp's just referred me to a surgeon but they refuse to even book the appointment without pct funding. This is just so typical. I've worked so very hard to get to this point and now i feel i look worse than when i started!!! Where do i go from here?

Your GP needs to apply to the pct for funding. Get on the case asap it can take months for them to make a decision.

Good luck and well done on the weight loss.

Back