• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

tummy tucks on the NHS?

kaya

Hi everyone I am new to the site so don't even know where to begin but long story short I have been referred by my GP for a tummy tuck on the NHS and was wondering if any of you knew what the criteria is you have to meet?

Hi kaya.

Sorry you have been left unanswered for so long. I haven't been using minimins regularly for a while but I have recently started back on my diet and so here I am (couldn't get through it without my support network here)! :)

Anyway, NHS tummy tucks...

It's hard to answer about criteria since each and every PCT is different. However, the main similarity being that you usually need to have dropped down so many points on the BMI scale to a certain BMI (some state you need to be BMI 27 and some state BMI 25). Also, some say you need to have maintained this drop for 6 months and some say for 2 years.

Do you see where I am going with this? It's a bit of a postcode lottery unfortunately. You might be able to find your PCT's criteria on Google in the form of a PDF document.

My GP is in West Norfolk but she didn't refer me to West Norfolk PCT to ask for funding because she felt it would be unlikely they'd fund me. She referred me to Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridge (which is my nearest NHS hospital that does plastics) and the plastic surgeon that did my op was the one that checked me out and gave me the go ahead. He has a certain amount of funding available for NHS tucks every year and he makes the decisions.

Maybe other areas have this sort of set up too, but I have no idea. My experience seemed quite different to a lot of other people from different areas that I've chatted to though.

Hope this all helps, hun and good luck. Keep us posted!

:)

PP
xx

I am with stoke on trent pct and there only criteria is a bmi of <26,when my GP first applied my bmi was 29 or so but I am a fairly muscular stocky guy and the last 2 stone or so has been a struggle I think I look a bit ill at this weight to be honest but the first time i WAS TURNED DOWN THEY WROTE BACK SAYING THEY WOULD FUND IT ONCE MY BMI WAS BELOW 26 SOON AS IT WAS MY GP CONTACTED THEM AGAIN AND i HAD A LETTER OF APPROVAL THROUGH INSIDE 3 WEEKS(caps lock was on sorry)It seems once you are in the system they review your case again quite quick if your circumstances have changed rather than a fresh application that can take months at least you can spend those months losing the weight rather than losing it then waiting months

If you're muscular then your BMI goes out of the window really as someone who was your weight/BMI is carrying fat is more overweight than you, who is muscular. i.e boxers and wrestlers are lean but due to their muscles would have a high BMI

perhaps your dr needed to point out your body make up to the PCT when he/she wrote to them.

At least your getting there now though

Back