• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How long before I could get a tummy tuck on the NHS?

Hi ladies,
If you want a TT on the NHS then you have to prove it is for a medical reason and not a cosmetic reason, if you mention to your GP and then your GP mentions it to the PCT for cosmetics reasons then you will definatly NOT get funding for it even though you have lost alot of weight( I know alot of people who have been refused even after losing 10stone) This is unfair I know the only way you would get TT on NHS and lost weight is if you have lost weight from having a previous NHS gastric band/bypass.
You must say to your GP how much it depresses you, stops you from doing normal things as you feel people are staring at you through your clohes, can't go swimming etc,.you really have to lay it on also if you fold of skin causes you alot of sores and skin infections (like me) which means having swabs taken from the area by your GP to determine which infection it is etc.
It really helps if you have a very supportive GP, I can say that my GP has been totally brilliant and very supportive and it made his day when I got accepted for funding because it is very,very hard to get this done esp in the Hull PCT area but all PCT's are different and might have different ruling,I wish you all the best of luck an I'm crossing all my fingers and toes for you all.
If you need any help then please feel free to ask.
Take care
Trina xxx

Thank you sooo much xxxxx
Good luck to all you ladies/men going for funding, don' let them win, remember you can appeal a refusal of funding.
Take care
Trina xxx

hobo

hi every one i have lost nearly 11 stones in weight, it has taken me nearly 3 years, i went to my doctors recently and asked if i could try and have a tummy tuck on the nhs, she then wrote to our primary health care trust, and initialy the answer from them was no, but my doctor appealed and now they say i will have to keep my weight down for two years, so in about 18 months i will be having my nhs tummy tuck done ,,,,,,

I hate to say this but i saw my GP last November re: TT. He dictated a letter to the ps whilst I was in the room. I saw her a few weeks later (January) and she put me on the list. I had the TT on 10th June.

I believe with my pct you have to be a healthy bmi and have maintained for 2 years but I had only started losing weight 2 yrs previously. My Doctor and the ps surgeon knew that.

Funding was NEVER mentioned to me. The first I heard of funding was when I was off work recovering and came across this site.

I feel a bit of a fraud not having to jump through hoops for it. I'm lucky I have a wonderful doctor, for which I'm very grateful.

Last edited:
hi there i am going to have a tummy tuck done on the nhs, you have to be weighed at your doctors sugery every 3 months, and you have to lose more than 6 stones ,and once you have reached your target weight for age and height, you have to still be weighed at your doctors for a further 2 years just to make sure you dont put the weight back on , i have to wait another 18 month before i have mine done,,,,,, i hope you will find this useful judith orchard xx

hi i live in the bristol area i have lost 11 stones and i am going to have my tummy tuck done in 18 months time, i have to wait that long because you have to keep the weight of for 2 years before you can have it done, so i am counting down the months xx

We plan on moving house soon and if I knew which areas were more "understanding" it may sway me to living in one PCT as oppose to another.[/QUOTE]

hi there i am going to have a tummy tuck done on the nhs, you have to be weighed at your doctors sugery every 3 months, and you have to lose more than 6 stones ,and once you have reached your target weight for age and height, you have to still be weighed at your doctors for a further 2 years just to make sure you dont put the weight back on , i have to wait another 18 month before i have mine done,,,,,, i hope you will find this useful judith orchard xx

ooh wow you had to jump through hoops didn't you? I didnt get weighed at the gp's at all, only the usual checks when I went to see the ps consultant.

hi

Has anyone worked out which PCTs will offer a tummy tuck if pushed? My GP told me that I have no chance of a tummy tuck with our local PCT but I have a huge loose skin problem after losing 12 stone (I went from 21 stone to 9 stone). People talk of a post code lottery - but I cannot tell if it is just my GP who has this attitude or this area.

We plan on moving house soon and if I knew which areas were more "understanding" it may sway me to living in one PCT as oppose to another.
well i live in the bristol area andi am having my tummy tuck on the nhs, but have to wait another 18 months, because they want to make sure i dont put the weight back on ,i have lost 11 stones and the same as you a huge hanging skin under my tummy ,,any way good luck xx

I am with stoke on trent pct and literally just had to get a bmi below 26,once I had done that I got funding pretty much instantly then saw the surgeon he said yes and 5-6 weeks later I had my op and am now at home recovering.Once I got the funding at a bmi of 26 I was only weighed once at my pre op and my bmi was 28.4(I purposely put a stone or so back on as I looked at Ill at a bmi of 25.9),nobody cared they just got on with it they wouldnt have cared if I was fat again once the funding was in place.

Northamptonshire PCT are now sending out within their letter of acceptance for Gastric Band/Bypass surgery a note now stating that they will not fund any future form of surgery to remove loose skin etc. I guess all PCT are different x

Northamptonshire PCT are now sending out within their letter of acceptance for Gastric Band/Bypass surgery a note now stating that they will not fund any future form of surgery to remove loose skin etc. I guess all PCT are different x

Wishing you all the best for Friday Paula x

I am going to see my GP about this asap, He helped me lose the 3 stone i have lost but now I have saggy boobs and a fold over tummy :(

I went to my doctor about getting a tummy tuck and a boob lift. The boob lift will probably never happen which upsets me as my breasts look like chicken skin in a bra, makes me feel sick, I've banned all full length mirrors from the house.

I'm in Aberdeen, and got a letter back (no mention of the boob lift) that for me to get a tummy tuck, my BMI needs to be below 27 have had a massive weight loss (Currently 5 1/2 stone lost) or suffer from serious skin infections under the skin fold. I do get something under the fold, like a white bacteria yeast growth, also in my belly button that the cream from the doctors won't seem to clear up.

Now I know my stomach doesn't look as bad as some peoples but It needs to get cut off, In my efforts to get to slimness I went jogging with my boyfriend, never again! My skin fold bounced out my jogging bottoms and people saw it. Mortifying!

The stomach affects me more than the breasts.

I have 3kg to loose before my bmi is 27 and then I'll be referred again, and also have to see a psychiatrist? Well I am pretty insane with having to pummel my breasts into my bra so they don't move, so perhaps I'll get it.

hi i have lost 6 stone an my bmi is under 27. i went to my gp about a tummy tuck an he wasnt very supportive, so i decided 2 look into it myself, i contacted the pals helpline 4 my local pct an explained that i had a gd bmi, massive weight loss an a skin flap. they said i fit the criteria 4 fudin so all i had 2 do was find a surgeon. i had already had 1 refuse 2 even c me so i spoke 2 other people i knew who had this op done an got the info 4 their surgeons, by speakin 2 the surgeons secretary about that surgeons attitude to tummy tucks an their criteria i was able 2 choose a surgeon that seemed most likely 2 bend the rules, bit naughty but it works. so i went bak 2 gp an asked him 2 refer me 2 that surgeon, took 4 weeks til i got 2 c him which was 13th november an he said yes, i havin a fleur de lys tummy tuck 29th december which is 6 weeks from wen i saw him, so from wen i got my gp 2 write the letter 2 wen i av my op is 10 weeks, which is very quick lol. i only started my diet in jan this year an av been at a bmi of 27 for about a month or 2 so i havent had 2 maintain 4 ages, i knw i lucky but i also a pain in the ass who wont stop til i get wat i want, jus do ur research an it wil happen, gd look an i wil let u knw how my op goes

kirsty xx:eek:

good luck every one

Back