• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band Restriction

PinkDaisy

I will do it this time!
Hello!!

As u all know coz i dont stop going on about it im getting my band on saturday!!!

Will I feel any restriction, ive spoken to a few ppl who have said they feel exactly the same and no restriction when it is first done, i just cant get my head round that surely their must be restriction even before the fill??

Help!! xx

hello Im new here Just joined!! I had my Gband done 23rd May and to be honest i felt no restriction untill the second infill, that became too tight and i ran into a few probs, but they have been sorted out now. The surgery is fine no pain and you do feel a little anxious to drink at first. I couldnt eat for a few weeks and just kept drinking the shakes.

try not to worry too much.

Caff

After the operation I had no restriction after the first 5 days...nothing. I was annoyed and upset that it wasnt working and I wasnt losing much weight. I really questioned if I had gone for the right operation.
But now, after second fill and about 2 months down the line I have really good restriction and am losing weight steadily.
Just dont be upset of you dont have optimum restriction from the get go because it WILL come....i promise ;)

Hi

It really does vary for everyone. I only had my first fill 11 weeks after my op, so yes I did feel restricted. I just could not believe how little I could eat and feel full. To me if you are eating far less then you are 'restricted', the band is a tool to help you lose weight but you must work with it. At no point since my op have I felt I could or have I wanted to eat the volumes I used to. I have also given up rice and pasta (my downfall). If however despite eating less you are not loosing the team at WLSG will get you booked in for a fill.

Good luck, not long now x

Hi Pink

I had my band done 25th May and my surgeon put 2 mls in band when I had op....I didn't feel hungry for several weeks after, but ate food at what used to be 'normal mealtimes' as I had to have something :rolleyes:

I had a port replacement op on 16th July and my surgeon did my first fill at the same time (I now have 4.5 mls in a 9ml band) and it took me over 2 weeks to come off liquids...I think my band was too tight, but persevered with it and now at 5 weeks since my first fill still don't feel ready for another fill yet...it's getting better but still have good restriction.
My weight loss is slower than other banders but I've not yet become addicted to exercise :eek:...nevertheless I'm really happy with my 31lb loss so far :D

will your surgeon do you a little fill at your band surgery? some do, some don't but you will notice a difference even if he doesn't.

my experience was different: after op i wasnt hungry AT ALL for about 5.5weeks ('started' to feel hunger [but nothing like it was before the op] just before i was due to have my first fill). This meant that the post op diet of liquids, puree, soft, etc was not a problem and a few onzes would satisfy me - it was great. Consequently, managed to lose 22 pounds in the six weeks between surgery and my first fill. i felt great restriction - but i've been told that's mainly because of the trauma to the stomach, as the band is not filled at this stage.

Good luck - I hope all goes well with your surgery!!!

Hiya
I have no experience of this, but one of the (many) reasons I decided to go for the bypass was that the weight loss began instantly, whereas with the band I was told that it can be up to 6 weeks before you start losing weight, I assumed that was because of recovering and getting first fill etc..
I could be well off the mark tho!
Good luck again for Saturday, this time next week it will be all over!
Rx

I felt restriction for a week or so after surgery. I did'nt have any fill in at the time of surgery but with the swelling the restriction was ok. I had my 1st fill 6 weeks after the op and got 5ml put in my 9ml band.This restriction lasted for around a week and I went back to eating normal foods and only managed through will power to keep portion sizes down. I had my 2nd fill 4 weeks after my 1st one and now have 7.5 ml in. This is very good restriction and to be honest I don't think I'll need anymore fillsx

initial restriction felt by the band after the op is only down to swelling/trauma, that leaves us banders by week 2-3, then by week 6 a 1st fill is needed to begin the process of learning real restriction x

Thanks guys , ur replies really help! x

initial restriction felt by the band after the op is only down to swelling/trauma, that leaves us banders by week 2-3, then by week 6 a 1st fill is needed to begin the process of learning real restriction x

Its not like that for everyone though, trust me to be different eh ;)

Yes i was told that you have no restiction till the first fill, but like has been said being on a liqiud and soft foods for nearly 6 wks until area has healed must bring soome weight loss,i hope so anyway ...........Mia

Good luck hun!! Hope all goes well!!!

xxx

Its not like that for everyone though, trust me to be different eh ;)

its diff for everyone yes, some surgeons do a fill during the op so with that and swelling the restriction is more for some than others, both my bands ive had a fill done during the band being placed xxx

Back