• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How long did you wait??

Louise1

Hello all..
I'm 6 weeks post gastric bypass tomorrow and I'm returning to work on Monday.
My job is managing a busy admin team so I've invested in a pedometer to check how much walking I'm doing and I'm hoping to get out on my bicycle as soon as weather permits.
I was just wondering how long other post oppers waited before they exercised and what kind of exercise they indulged in..
Prior to an operation which made me gain weight and stop exercising I used to go spinning and to body pump and went to the gym daily without fail. How long do you think I need to wait before I build myself back up to this?
I've also downloaded a couch to 5k app and I'm planning on getting out jogging too but again I'm stuck with the bad weather as I don't want to fall over on the ice we have at the moment...
Have many people joined a gym and do you go and use your membership?
Sorry for my ramblings I'm just thinking things through my typing fingers lol.
Thank you!!
xx:D

i was 6 weeks before i returned to work
you will find the first few days tiring but just take it at your own pace

one thing regarding exercise i know your excited but don't do too much take it slow maybe a bit of walking remember you have been through a major operation

Walking is good for the first couple of months, then and only once your medical team clear you for it you can increase the intensity and add in cycling etc. I didn't spin until I was eight months out but I went back to resistance training after six months.

I'd say at least 16 weeks before you consider any classes such as body pump or spin, but you could do stat bike elliptical etc after eight weeks, but again you should not do anything more than walking until your doctor has said it's ok.

I seem to live in the gym and have done since about 6 weeks post op. I use my membership and really get my monies worth.

Thank you both. I was booked in for kettlebells this weekend. I'll cancel and wait a while.
I think the problem with keyhole surgery is you forget about the internal healing.
I'm going to concentrate on walking my two cocker spaniels for now.
Thanks again!!!
xx

You are right to cancel the class, my surgeon told me that up to 12 weeks out we present a significant hernia risk as they have to cut through the muscle wall to get inside. Even though the holes are relatively small they still take time to heal properly from the inside. You should not attempt to lift anything heavier than a jug of water for 12 weeks

Louise your weight gain story is EXACTLY the same asune so i know how you feel about wanting to train agsin, um a week post op one stone down already, I have done five walked laps of my sisters two acre garden and I'm goi.g to repeat two to three times a day - good luck with your excercising but please noooo kettlebells!! Xx

Back