• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

NHS Banders..............how long did you have to wait?

Meggie

Hey,
How long did everyone have to wait for their op......from initial GP appointment to operation? I'm just interested to see if there is a big difference depending on where in the country you live. I know there will a number of other factors that affect the length of time but thought I'd see!!!!

Hope I'm not being too nosey!!!

it took me a year just to get a referal off the gp as they kept saying no but i persisted, then another year from from meeting the surgeon.

it takes so long as the demand for nhs wls has tripled in the last couple of years x

It's taken from January 08 when I first saw my GP to having my pre-op in July..........It feels like foreverrrrrrrrrrr x

I'm still at the research stage! What happens at the Pre-op stage and how far along is that in the process???

pre op she means the pre op assessment ?

hey.. you arent being nosy hunni.. we dont know if we dont ask... I live in Cumbria - otherwise known as lake district..

right, I was first seen by gp in jan 08 and he reffered me to my surgeon, went to a seminar where everything was explained etc in july 08 so there was first inital 6mths, went to see him (surgeon) in oct 08 and was assessed as to whether any further tests may be needed - I needed blood tests, mental assessment - to make sure understood what is likely from the op etc and sleep study done, went back in dec 08 by which time all tests were done ,was weighed and was 20st 2lb and got told could have my operation but one further test was needed which was a gastroscopy with biopsy and internal pics and went on the waiting list - which at that point was 5mth from actual intial seminar.

Went for gastroscopy, biopsy in march and went back to see nurse for pre-op assessment begining may and had my operation week after on 12th may this year..

and its best thing thats happened for me.. on 1st may I was 19st 12lb.. am now 18st 10lb

good luck on your journey

You will find everyones journey is different.

GP refered me in spring of 07 but I was turned down. GP asked again in spring 08 and this time I was accepted. Seen bariatric nurse in July 08 then seen the Doctor in August 08 he then recommended me for surgery. Since then I have been fighting for funding...... still waiting! I have a BMI of 52.5 but my local PCT only fund surgey if you have sleep apnea or diabetes which I do not have. I have everything else but not those 2. So here I am 2 years later and still waiting.

My local hospital claim to carry out 200 op's per year yet my local PCT have only funded 6 in 3 years from 600 op's. I have another appeal pending next week.

Best wishes for your journey.

Back