• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How long does it take to Heal (Bypass)

Nezzy

Hi everyone,
Was just wondering how long it takes for a Gastric Bypass to heal as I'm 12 days post op and feeling wonderful.:rolleyes:

I feel that I can finally do things but I am abit scared incase there is still risk of injuring myself. I have been given 6 weeks off work, do I really need this amount of time?:confused:

Anez xxxxx

if you need it or not take the time off to start learning about the new you x

Hi Anez
That's good going in just 12 days but don't do to much just in case you do hurt yourself hun . If you've got an office job I think you might be OK but if you have to pull and haul Id watch yourself . And if your diabetic you would be slower to heal . That's just what I think but I`m sure someone will be a long to help you better . good luck and take care .
Margaret xx

Hi hun and congrats on feeling well just 12 days out! Did you have open surgery or keyhole? I ask because keyhole is a quicker recovery. I was feeling fit at 2 weeks after keyhole bypass but I still took it easy with bending and pulling for another couple of weeks. I started swimming at about 6 weeks post-op I think. Before that I was walking the stairs in my 4th floor flat a couple times per day to get some gentle exercise.

HTH,
Nic:D

Nez remember when we were in hospital and i told you when you start to feel good DON'T over do it???? Well if your feeling good just enjoy and get stronger and don't over do it - good to hear your doing so well hugs with fairy dust for you to keep that new sparkle xx

I could do with someone coming to cut my grass if your up to it Nezzy... Ha Ha.

No seriously the nurses told me that it takes about three months to heal properly from this type of surgery and although you may feel good you still won't be properly healed inside so please be careful and don't overdo it.

Bonita
xx

Nezzy how big is the scar on a open bypass?
Pleased to hear your feeling well in yourself and congratulations on your opp. x

Hi Nic,
I had open bypass and was also wondering how soon could I do some gentle exercise perhaps swimming?

Thanks for your comments

Anez xxxx

I was wpndering about swimming. I don't think it's a good idea until the wound has completely healed and there are no scabby areas. I developed a wound infection about 2 and half weeks following surgery. To be on the safe side I'd speak to your GP or the hospital. I had open surgery.

Congratulations on your op and excellent you are feeling so well. I haven't had my op yet but I would follow the advice of everyone else and still have the time off. You can get plenty of rest and some go for some walks etc. I sometimes find you feel ok when you are at home but then push yourself to go back to work and find it is too much, or perhaps you could go back for a couple of hours a day in a week or two.

Hiya, since you had open surgery I would suggest being very careful. I have heard that 4-6 weeks is the minimum recovery time for open bypass. I would not undertake any type of exercise besides slow gentle walking until you have been cleared by your doctor at your post-surgery follow-up (mine was at 6 weeks) otherwise you could end up hurting yourself and re-opening your wound. It is best to be cautious in this case and check with your surgical team.

Nic;)

Hi Nic,
I had open bypass and was also wondering how soon could I do some gentle exercise perhaps swimming?

Thanks for your comments

Anez xxxx

I phoned and spoke to ana last week about swimming and she told me to wait until I had my first post op check up as you need to make sure all the scabs are gone and you need to be on solids rather than sloopies or fluids as you're not taking in enough cals and to do some gentle walking. Am gutted cause I really wanted to start as soon as possible. It's fantastic that you're feeling good but try and take it easy and don't rush to do things, you're still healing on the inside and you don't want to end up with a hernia.

as good as you feel you are still healing internally so just take it easy and listen to yr body. when i had my gall bladder out (open10 inch scar) i went for a walk each day gradually increasing the distance and speed.
i had keyhole bypass and was swimming at 11 days but if i had had open it would of been 6 weeks.
take it easy and dont run before you can walk. you are doing brill

My scar is about 12 inches long from the top of my belly button upwards, unfortunately it is right where my bra would be so I cant wear a bra yet

Anez xxxxxx

The only problem is that my first appointment is not until 23 September which I think is far too late. I feel like I'm not getting any aftercare or support cause since I've come out noone has even checked my wound, but I suppose I would soon be in touch if ther was a problem

Anez xxxxx

The only problem is that my first appointment is not until 23 September which I think is far too late. I feel like I'm not getting any aftercare or support cause since I've come out noone has even checked my wound, but I suppose I would soon be in touch if ther was a problem

Anez xxxxx
Have you been to see your GP? Although I was NHS, so this might make a difference, I was told to see my GP within a week after the op for full bloods. This picked up any glitches. I then developed an infection, and it was checked at my doctors and they prescribed. x x

Back