• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

how long in hospital following a bypass

gaelic girl

Loving Being a Loser
Hi
I'v been reading some blogs and diaries following bypass surgery and its so helpful.I see though that most of you were in hospital three or four days ( maybe just the ones i read!) I know everyone is an individual as far as recovery etc goes but i've been told i'll only be in hospital overnight and given i will be travelling over 200 odd miles for this op i'm worried about some of the honest accounts i've read immediatly following surgery what do you guys think? Has anyone else been in this situation:help2:

I went from Kent to Manchester for mine, had the op Saturday afternoon and was on the train home Monday morning wondering what all the fuss was about, no pain at all, and five tiny plasters on my chest to show for it all, in fact i thought for a while i'd been cheated as there was no pain and nothing felt different, in fact still have the massive tub of pain killers they gave me at home as i didn't use any of them at all.

i had my op tues evening, came home thurs morning. The journey home was hell - every lil bump, and pot hole was extremely painful so i dont envy you having to travel 200 miles. xx

lol having just read silversurfers reply, it really does depend on the individual. I had a very tough time, but he seems to have been ok.

Pass me them painkillers SS...!

I think it depends on a couple of things; type of procedure i.e. lap or open and one's ability to deal with pain.

I have a high pain tolerance, but found the 8 mile journey home quite uncomfortable. I had open bypass on the Wednesday and was travelling home Friday evening.

:)Hi Guys
I'm such a wimp when it comes to pain you would think after giving birth to two big babies lol one over 10lb by c section i'd be ok no offence "fedup" but i hope i'm more like SS and sorry to hear you had a more difficult time than some ( been reading your posts) hope things are ok now for you:flowers:
Allie

lol having just read silversurfers reply, it really does depend on the individual. I had a very tough time, but he seems to have been ok.

Pass me them painkillers SS...!

Actually i hung onto the pain killers thinking they would be great for headaches etc in future as i used to suffer with headaches pre op, but i dont get them anymore, so the drugs haven't been used, probably out of date now anyway ! :D

I went in on thursday evening had op Friday morning didnt come out till the monday cause the swollow test place wasnt open over the weekend so I had to weight

I went in on thursday evening had op Friday morning didnt come out till the monday cause the swollow test place wasnt open over the weekend so I had to weight

Whats a swallow test Teen ? - i swallowed a load of lime flavoured jelly the day after my op and felt that now familiar brick in chest feeling of restriction, is this the same thing ?

No, it's a barium meal swallow s they can see the plumbing in action on the X ray screen.

Mr. Khan also pumps the stomach & plumbing with of air & dye on the table to check for any leakage then.

And did you enjoy your jelly SS? I bet you did.... lol!

Hi there, my open bypass is on thursday off in on wednesday they say 5-7 days in hospital so they get me onto the SLOPPY RUNNY puree before I leave...I was rather amazed.....but it seems all areas are different and methods change...I will be happy to go home when I am ready.....

:)Hi Guys
I'm such a wimp when it comes to pain you would think after giving birth to two big babies lol one over 10lb by c section i'd be ok no offence "fedup" but i hope i'm more like SS and sorry to hear you had a more difficult time than some ( been reading your posts) hope things are ok now for you:flowers:
Allie

Thanks hun, im getting there xxx

I had my op on Wed morning, was home not long after lunch on Thursday. I was a bit tender on the ride home but not too bad. I was offered a top-up dose of pain med when I was leaving but I declined. Everyone is different, also SS & I had the same surgeon (Mr. Ammori) and he likes to send you on your way quickly.

Hey GG.

I had the op Wed morning and was running out the door Friday morning. If they'd let me go earlier I would have gone Thursday for sure.

HTH
yoyo

:talk017::)once again thanks for helpful replies guys. Guess i'll just have to wait and see what happens. Travelling to Manchester for the benefit of getting Mr Ammori sounds as if it will be worth it. So glad i found you guys it's great to see such honest and frank accounts of the surgery.
Allie

Im going into hospital on monday 11th may at 6pm, op on wednesday 13th may and home friday 15th may, mine seems rather long!
Lisa xxx

im in next friday for bypass .. should be out with in 48 hrs .. everyone else who has had it there that i know are home in 2 days..

so we will see ;o)

Back