• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

NHS How long is the average wait on the NHS, Cheshire?

Hi

For those who haven't read my previous posts, I went to have WLS in Czech Republic, I was mentally prepared and went all the way there, had re-ops and was told they couldn't do the surgery because they found an ulcer and that I have an under active thyroid.

Ive spoke to my GP who said he will start the NHS process for WLS once my thyroid is sorted and stable which he thinks will take 3 months. He's been clear that the process is long and there's hurdles!

Could those with NHS experience tell me what the hurdles are please. What is the process and how long did it take you from visiting your GP and deciding on WLS to having it done and what could hurry the process?

I cant put myself or hubby through going over to Czech Republic again and surgery over here is out of my budget.

Hi

For those who haven't read my previous posts, I went to have WLS in Czech Republic, I was mentally prepared and went all the way there, had re-ops and was told they couldn't do the surgery because they found an ulcer and that I have an under active thyroid.

Ive spoke to my GP who said he will start the NHS process for WLS once my thyroid is sorted and stable which he thinks will take 3 months. He's been clear that the process is long and there's hurdles!

Could those with NHS experience tell me what the hurdles are please. What is the process and how long did it take you from visiting your GP and deciding on WLS to having it done and what could hurry the process?

I cant put myself or hubby through going over to Czech Republic again and surgery over here is out of my budget.
From seeing my gp to surgery took me 17 months but every area is different. Good luck xx

Going with nhs is not such a bad thing because it gives you plenty of time to completely research what your committing to including the good, bad and the ugly and allows you time to make sure you completely 100% understand and know what your options are, yes there are hurdles it depends which trust your with, at L and D the very first thing you have to do is 4 weeks on the milk diet, just 4 pints of milk a day! 1 sugar free jelly, 2 Bovril or oxo drinks and that’s it, you must lose 5% of your body weight before you can go to the next step which is basically just healthy eating on approx 1000 calories a day plus you see a general physician who hopefully agrees your fit enough for surgery, you carry on like this for an assessment period of either 6 months or 1 year depending on your BMI then if successful you have a multidisciplinary team meeting with Bariatric nurse, dietician and phycologist, sorry about spelling, then you wait for an appointment to meet the surgeon who hopefully puts you on the waiting list, and anaesthetist. Good luck...I started out in June 2016 and will be seeing surgeon and anaesthetist on 9th November so 17 months so far but hopefully I will be put on the waiting list on the 9th xx

Back