• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How long...?

MaidoftheRiver

I apologise, this is probably on a post somewhere, I am still finding my way round!

For those who have had their surgery... How long was the process for you? I mean from first doctor appointment where you first enquired to your surgery date? Looking at NHS specifically here obviously!

I an expecting a very long wait and I am prepared for that, and I am expecting a wide variety of answers, I am just interested in how much it does vary, and whether it varies hugely depending on where you are in the country

Yes it really does vary a lot!!

I saw the gp in August last year, had my first appointment last oct and just had my surgery on 1st Nov so from referral to surgery was about 14-15months. The same hospital is now telling people at the first appointment that it will take 6months so it seems to have sped up quite a bit.

Where are you?

Oh and welcome by the way :)

Thanks for the welcome! I am in Portsmouth - I've noticed there seems to be a few Portsmouth people on this forum. My GP told me that he has had a few patients he has successfully jumped through all the necessary hoops and have the surgery. He was also realistic in saying that they have all lost a huge amount of weight before regaining a couple of stone and settling there. That would be fine by me!!! I am about 12 stone over weight. I previously lost 7 stone and felt fantastic - if I could get back there I would be so happy!!!

My journey at sunderland started end of June this year. :) I was told the 12 - 18month but I go in for endoscopy tomorrow and if all well they said i will be put on list and its 4weeks. Hopefully won't be too long for you. Oh this is hospital su2ie means tho. This site really helpful x

Oh mine was a long time.........almost 3 years from start to op.... but even at my hospital they admit to going thru much quicker these days........ guinea pigs i think she called us LOL
Welcome to a great forum.................. just remember even if its a long old wait be patient it only helps put the head in the right place :) take all the help they offer and take every bit of advise and you will sail thru :) all the best x x xx its worth the wait x x x

Is an endoscopy a normal part of the process? What's the purpose? I had one about two years ago and it's not an experience I wish to repeat unless I absolutely have to!

I saw my go in July this year and had my op in October this year so for me it took 3 months. I did however work with my GP on other options for a few years before, so my GP knew of my struggles and may have provided a strong motivational argument to my surgeon.

I was expecting it to take 12 to 18 months, so when it happened this quick I was shocked.

3 months! Wow. Certainly won't be expecting anything like that! My GP is aware of what has been happening with my weight over the last few years. I list seven stone last year which triggered gallstones and then had post op problems which have resulted in me gradually regaining that weight, which made me depressed, which made me gain more weight... Etc etc.

Is an endoscopy a normal part of the process? What's the purpose? I had one about two years ago and it's not an experience I wish to repeat unless I absolutely have to!

Yeah i think its pretty much standard procedure to check everything ok in there....have mine in 3 hours! :)

Back