• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How long should i expect recovery to take after a sleeve?

maggy

Hi everyone,
I'm booked in for a sleeve on the 16th of this month and am wondering what people's experience has been in terms of recovery time. I'm giving a talk just over two weeks after the op and have assumed I'll be, well if not exactly fine, well enough. I know everyone is different but am I completely mad?!?
Xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi, i was suprised at how long it took me to be back up and running, i had 18 days off work, mostly leave, and then have been on three weeks office duties. Im back on full duties from Sunday. At two weeks out i was feeling pretty rough and tired..i guess everyone is different but im now 5 and a half weeks out and feel about normal now.

Thanks Kar, I was beginning to wonder if maybe i was expecting too much. I've had lots of surgeries for endometriosis and I guess maybe I thought this would be more straightforward but possibly not. I think the reality is that the talk is something I really want to do and I hate missing out :0)

PA. I think I put this thread in the wrong place. Just started a thread from the last place if been. Newbie mistake! Does anyone know how to move it. Or perhaps it doesn't matter.

Sorry! Meant 'PS' My typing on an iphone is dreadful!

See how you feel, i had a pretty good recovery and little pain but i wouldnt have fancied talking at 2 weeks, and i can talk!!

Hi Maggy, firstly good luck with your op.

I'll be 14 days post sleeve op tomorrow - so how I'm feeling now would be fairly similar to when you give your talk.

I've followed Karina loads as we started out at similar bmi's, so I kind of had her progress in my head as a benchmark as she was a few weeks ahead of me.

Today, I've walked to school twice (about 2 miles) , been to the GP, an hours worth of light gift shopping and then coffee with friends. Have hung a load of washing on the airer, and cooked dinner for the hubby and kids................... And I am flipping shattered. Sometimes the tiredness will really hit you without warning. I have no idea how Karina has been able to stay awake at work. :worthy:

One thing my provider advised was to try and have 5 meals - I'm managing that now just to try and spread my energy intake.

But, if you are careful, and have plenty of sleep beforehand, you should be able to do a talk at 2 weeks. As long as the talk doesn't have physical actions with it. ;-)

I had just one week off work and was fine although everyone is different. Just rest as much as you can around your commitments. Good luck.

Thanks everyone.

Really good to hear that you're up and about Bear and Old Woman, though tired. It's very reassuring

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery Goal = BMI under 30. Height = 5'1 and a bit - the bit is important ;0). Highest ever weight 111.2kg (17st7); BMI=45. Weight & BMI pre-pre-op diet = 107.9kg (17st); BMI=43.8

Hi Maggy, I think at 2 week's out you'll be tired and a bit slow but if you prepare your talk now while you're still on top of things so you're just presenting it I think you'll be fine especially if you're able to rest up before you do it.

I ended up having a few complications and had 2 months off work then a phased return - very cautious occupational health at work (public sector!) I'm only just back full time 5 months post op and still getting used to a slower pace of life!

As long as you follow all your guidelines, rest and stay hydrated you should be ok.

good luck i am having my op in around 70 hours from now!!!! eeeek, i am flying to Czech to have my sleeve. i fly monday- return friday next week. i like you have business commitments and will try to juggle home working, presenting and resting. after a couple of weeks.

i think you will have to play it by ear, dont over rule what your body is telling you and kee activity to minimum bfore hand to enable the talk bit i guess.

I have watched bear and cani progress with baited breath lol and hope i can see their journey as my guide.

good luck hun xx

Good luck Alfiemoomin!!! Will be thinking of you.

And great advice Stacey. My usual trick is to write the thing on the train/plane there! But I think this time I'd better do my time management by the book.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery Goal = BMI under 30. Height = 5'1 and a bit - the bit is important ;0). Highest ever weight 111.2kg (17st7); BMI=45. Weight & BMI pre-pre-op diet = 107.9kg (17st); BMI=43.8

Do let us know how you get on Alfiemoomin. Take care Xx

Back