• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

how long to have off work

charley1987

i work in a very lifting job i lift 20kg plus things each tubs of salad 10kg tubs of mayo any advise on how long i should be given off x

I was off for 10 weeks as I use hoists at work and work with people with learning disabilities so I had to be careful

Hi Charley,

I was planning on only having two weeks off after my bypass, but my wounds had other ideas. I got an infection in one of the incision sites and have just gone back in after 5 weeks!

You arn't supposed to lift anything heavy for months. Would where you work be able to offer you light duties after your op?

It's down to what your surgeon recommends and if your G.P's willing to sign you off. But you must remember that it's major surgery and any heavy lifting can cause complications.

Good luck x

i work at morrisons in the salad bar they said i can do leser duties but i no what they r like when i had the side of my toe nail removed i was supposed to be on checkouts for a week coz i was not allowed toput my foot in a shoe so it could heal i was on checkouts for a day then they put me back in to the salad bar so i no if they say one thing they mean another x

As an employer - Morrison's have a duty of care to make sure that your working envoronment is safe for your health.

If you surgeon/G.P. states that you can return to work, but only on light duties, i.e. sitting on a till etc. then they will have to comply.

If you G.P. put on your return to work note that he recommends you do light duties for say 3 months after your op, I'm sure that your employer would rather have to in work, working than sat at home and getting sick pay.

If I were you I would discuss this with your manager prior to the op and explain your concerns, that way they will have plenty of time to put something in place for you.

I work for a local authority and situations like this, manager will routeinly refer staff to see the occupational therapist to ensure that they are complying with health and safety. I'm sure that they would rather assist you in returning to work than having you sue them for negligence.

I was off work for 4 weeks doing a sedentary job. Like teen said, if your job involves lifting you will need much longer. I think you would even need to be careful if you were on the checkouts as if customers are buying heavy items (bags of potatoes, multipacks of pop etc) there will still be lifting involved.

I'd be finding out what the companys sick leave provisions are, and take as long off as you can afford to. Put your health first on this occasion.

Hi there,

Although Morrisons can undertake adequate Risk Assessments etc. You as an employee have an obligation to yourself. If you knowingly undertake work that you are not physically fit to do you are breaching your own obligations under the HASAW 1974 ... which places obligations upon you as well as your employer.

If your employer agrees then get it in writing so that if something happens you have it there in black and white.

I have been lucky with my work supporting me in this
as my op is on saturday the whole of next week i will be doing absolutely nothing! then for the 3 weeks after i have been lent a company laptop so i can access all the work systems, so i can do a few hours a day so i can keep on top of many of my administration tasks at home.

i unfortunately don't have anyone to cover the bulk of my work, so i offered to do this instead of having a complete stress out when i have to return....also doesn't help that i have global monthly and quarterly reports due by mid april lol :)

I was off for 8 weeks an then had a phased return, i manage a childrens home and as i am involved in restraints and daily threats of violence it was more down to health and safety and also my colleagues had to know i could back them up when needed! My work were very supportive and sent me to Occupational Health for assessment to see if they needed to put anything in place for me. Morrisson's must have an OH dpartment so ask for a referral after your surgery and explain to them what you would need and see if they can oblige to put you on temporary light duties xx

Now i really do appreciate my boss... She knows i'll probably be signed off for 4 weeks and already has talked of a phased return to work and if i'm not driving picking me up and dropping me off..... I feel special now :) :)

Seriously though, you have to take your own health into consideration. You cannot lift anything for quite some time and certainly not those weights. You will seriously damage yourself and if your employer lets you do this after being told of this then they will be liable for legal action....

Be kind to yourself, cos nobody else will be :) Good luck with your op hun xx

Back