• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How long is a piece of string?

loubyl00

I want to shrink!
Can you all tell me how long you waited for your surgery after your first consult?
Just interested to see the mix of waiting times.

thanks

x

Hi Lou

Are you having your op at Salford Royal?

From GP referral to actual op probably around 18 months. After my 6 months with the dietician (ended May 09) they referred me to the surgeon.

Had my One Stop Shop appointment 6th Aug 09, my sleep apneoa test 8th Sep 09 and my psychologist app 29th Oct 09.

All my tests were fine and I went on the waiting list from the date of my last app (29th Oct). From that point there is an 18 week rule that kicks in, which basically means that your op should be completed within 18 weeks of you being added to the surgical list.

I got my phone call from Mr Ammori's secretary on Monday 18th Jan 2010 giving me 2 weeks notice that my op would be on 1st Feb 2010.

Saying all that though, they change the procedures all the time and the waiting list has a lot more people on it now than it did then. I know they are inundated with requests and the time for getting appointments for psych & sleep studies is expanding. Plus, anyone who is a more urgent case would go in front of you (don't know what the criteria is for that).

So even after the essay above I still can't give you a definative answer, you just have to jump through all the hoops and wait until they get to you.

The waiting is the hardest part and it really does feel like it's forever whilst your going through it, but once your on the other side it really won't feel that you've waited too long.

Good luck x

From first seeing GP to surgery was about 18 months, from first appointment with surgeon was 11 months. Gails right the hardest part is waiting but you get to do a lot of thinking in that time and make sure it's really what's best for you.

Hi

I have not had my surgery as yet , but so far I have waited approx 14 months and I will be having my op around summer time - so that will be approx 18 months in total - Good luck to you anyway.

All the best - MeJulie x x

In answer to your first question, 'How long is a piece of string?' - twice as long as two halves :p

In answer to your second question. From my first consult at the hospital to the day of surgery was about four months xx

wow 4 mths thats short compared to the 18mths. Hope you don't mind me asking, have you got health probs or is it just a case of where your from? xxx

Hi there,

I was referred by my GP on the 21st April this year, had my first appointment on June 4th (last Friday) and got a call today for confirmation of my op on July 7th.
So a little over 2 months
xx

Wow....some of these are sooooooooo fast ...........wish I was at your PCT lol....Ive been waiting 15 months and no date yet (sigh) X

Wow i can't believe the difference in times?!
I first saw my GP in Feb 09 having my surgery in september 2010 although its been along wait its gone pretty quick really (if that makes sense!!) x

Wow,
Thanks for that. Its interesting to see all the different waiting periods.
I am having my op at Salford Royal Gail.
Im glad I asked the question, its helpful to know what otehrs have done.
Im a girl who needs a plan (my hubby says its cos Im a control freak) lol. So all that info helps!

Many Thanks Again Guys

OMG, some of you lucky tarts are getting your ops really quickly, great for you but boohoo for me! I know there is some variation in PCTs but that's mental! I personally thought 'they' liked to drag it out as some form of masochistist punishment becaucse I am a fat cow!

Good god can not belive the differences, I'v been told about 9month wait for me. Like the sound of 12 weeks.

Congrats Emma for getting your date. Thats so quick. So pleased for you. Let us know how you go on if you dont mind. x

Angie? I love your sense of humour, but you are so right. Its awful that some of us are waiting so long. I know we all have different 'bags of tricks' but you wouldn't think the gap would be so wide 12 weeks - 18 months?????

I know, it totally sucks...(not for the lovely ladies who are getting done 'quickly' of course)...but I am officially in a MAJOR sulk...plus, I'm so worried about getting even fatter between now & my op date, I'm in fear of getting harpooned every time I step out of the door.xx

saw my GP in Oct/Nov 2008 ish, saw the community dietician in Jan 2009, saw the surgeon June 2009, operated on 25th August 2009 ;)

We've gotta laugh Angie or we'd cry!

Its rained all day here today, makes me feel worse.

Your hubby will know all about the grey wet Oldham Weather. Where abouts in Oldham is he from btw?

Moston I believe...problem is, whenever he starts talking, it's typically about football (can't stand it), carp fishing (zzzzzz) or the soaps he watches (I don't watch TV), so I usually gently zone out, bless him!

Back